Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4 2013, 03:53 AM   #376
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Nah I'm waiting for the good stuff, the hours and hours of it that will soon be upon us

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 03:58 AM   #377
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Nah I'm waiting for the good stuff, the hours and hours of it that will soon be upon us
So, you're saying there's no good stuff out there now? Surely, you can find stuff. I know there's S/U stuff that's out, so why not dive into the Kirk/Spock that has to be out there too. For a K/S vid, the echo one I embedded just a few posts ago is good. It's up to you, though...

---
Update:

And just so I'm on topic, another S/U vid. This one has some TOS in it too.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 05:15 AM   #378
teacake
Admiral

I'm saying I'm waiting for the use of the full movie in vids.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 4 2013, 05:46 AM   #379
teacake
Admiral

I reserve the right to make up all kind of euphemistic meanings for "the thing"

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 4 2013, 05:48 PM   #380
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It's not. I watched all 3 videos to see if there was anything there that I hadn't seen in already released clips and trailers. I wouldn't have posted them otherwise.

It's no different than people who've taken footage from the trailers and made moving avatars off of them. Those don't seem to be a problem, so I'm guessing these vids aren't either (well, the last one is all 2009).
I think that the S/U fans are just a bit lucky because the main S/U scenes are already released in official clips and trailers so people got those in a decent quality
there are even some different takes of the scenes that can be found in behind the scenes clips
Like the kiss in the trailers is a different take/angle than the one in the final cut

canon kiss (not pirate copy, it was showed in a video over youtube about Giacchino's score):

version from the first official trailer:

In the final cut one it's way more obvious that he's leaning in for that kiss

It's funny to think that a scene like that in the movie is like one minute or something like that and yet can you think about how many times Zoe kissed him that day? I just picture JJ saying "one more time kids" over and over and over

this still was recently published in the star trek magazine and I think it's from a different take of the turbolift scene from the first movie because in the version we got he didn't touch her chin like that.

I remember seeing some gifs over tumblr that were from a different take of the Kirk/Bones scene in sickbay from the first movie. I love watching this stuff though sometimes it can be bad because you wish they kept some things. The deleted scenes with Amanda from the first movie were good (Spock's birth and the argument between Sarek and Amanda) I wish they had kept them.
Old July 7 2013, 05:57 PM   #381
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I love it!
Old July 29 2013, 12:28 PM   #382
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

so I don't know if anyone reads the comics and specifically the after darkness trilogy (that is supposed to work like an epilogue of the last movie)
anyway, there is this moment where Spock is "sick" (or more like affected by a craziness) and Uhura talks to him remembering the time where she realized that he was in love with her and his way to tell her that. Spoiler: it's very cute (and so nerdy, so Spock )

I don't know if I can post the scans here (but you can easily find them somewhere over tumblr...) so here's the transcript of what she said:
I know when you fell in love with me. It was the first time I beat you at chess. Before we played, you suggested that the two dimensional version might at least give me a fighting chance.
I wasn’t offended.
You’d won every game of chess you’d played since the day you were born, so by the time you met me I think you just assumed…logically.. that you could never lose.
Best part of winning for me was the reaction on your face: there wasn’t one.
… But the next day this was left on my desk without a note. I knew that your chess set was now missing a piece.. and that I had your heart. I just want you to know that I forgive you. I know you’re suffering and I know you can’t really hear me anymore.
I don’t know what is going to happen. I don’t know if I’ve lost you forever, but even if the worst happens, I know seeing this again reminds you…that I’ll always love you.
*the piece he gave her was the king (checkmate!)
not everyone will get the metaphor (probably), but I find it terribly cute (and cute that she understood him without him having to tell her with words) and very fitting for them to make him use chess to symbolize the act of falling in love with someone and the fact you have to lose to win.

the rest of the plot of these comics is worth a read if you get the chance but some things about the general plot are... interesting to say the least romulans and klingons are about to start a war... I wonder if this will lead to possible storyline of a third movie.
Old July 29 2013, 01:44 PM   #383
dub
Captain

I like the Uhura/Spock relationship concept. But to me, this Uhura and Kirk have a lot more on-screen chemistry.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:43 PM   #384
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

ngl, at times I love the Kirk/Uhura dynamic and friendship even more than the K/S one but that's it. They have this siblings-like feeling to them not to mention that Kirk seems like a S/U fan himself I really hope they won't ruin everything with some triangle because the friendship element in the Spock-Uhura-Kirk ot3 is refreshing.
I love Quinto and Saldana's chemistry, it is pretty unique as it's not too in your face and overly sexual like some couples on tv nowadays (a lot of it has to do with the fact that well he's playing a vulcan lol) and in general I think that a human/alien relationship is more challenging and thematically it does fit more with the star trek franchise. If they have to have a romance, it makes sense to me that they have that with the alien of the story rather than the usual human hero.
Old July 30 2013, 11:07 AM   #385
teacake
Admiral

Kirk has chemistry with everyone.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 30 2013, 01:45 PM   #386
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Malaika wrote: View Post
so I don't know if anyone reads the comics and specifically the after darkness trilogy (that is supposed to work like an epilogue of the last movie)
anyway, there is this moment where Spock is "sick" (or more like affected by a craziness) and Uhura talks to him remembering the time where she realized that he was in love with her and his way to tell her that. Spoiler: it's very cute (and so nerdy, so Spock )

I don't know if I can post the scans here (but you can easily find them somewhere over tumblr...) so here's the transcript of what she said:
I know when you fell in love with me. It was the first time I beat you at chess. Before we played, you suggested that the two dimensional version might at least give me a fighting chance.
I wasn’t offended.
You’d won every game of chess you’d played since the day you were born, so by the time you met me I think you just assumed…logically.. that you could never lose.
Best part of winning for me was the reaction on your face: there wasn’t one.
… But the next day this was left on my desk without a note. I knew that your chess set was now missing a piece.. and that I had your heart. I just want you to know that I forgive you. I know you’re suffering and I know you can’t really hear me anymore.
I don’t know what is going to happen. I don’t know if I’ve lost you forever, but even if the worst happens, I know seeing this again reminds you…that I’ll always love you.
*the piece he gave her was the king (checkmate!)
not everyone will get the metaphor (probably), but I find it terribly cute (and cute that she understood him without him having to tell her with words) and very fitting for them to make him use chess to symbolize the act of falling in love with someone and the fact you have to lose to win.
No offence but this is way too cutesy for me.
And I don't believe Uhura could ever beat Spock at chess.
Thank goodness the comics aren't canon or are they???

I'm glad for you if you like it though.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 02:46 PM   #387
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

they're canon for Orci

everything related to romantic relationships is inevitably cutesy

why not? after all Kirk did too... (not in this verse yet but in the other he did)
Old July 31 2013, 02:03 AM   #388
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Malaika wrote: View Post
they're canon for Orci

everything related to romantic relationships is inevitably cutesy

why not? after all Kirk did too... (not in this verse yet but in the other he did)
Look I don't really mind the Spock Uhura romance provided they don't get too gushy but this chess thing I don't like.
In TOS, chess was Spock's game. He programmed it into the computer. He got Kirk off charges with it in the Ben Finney case.
If any old person can beat Spock in chess then he isn't really the TOS Spock. He's just like a human guy with pointed ears and super strength.
I know Kirk used to beat him at chess but does Uhura need to take Kirk's place in every way with Spock?
Looks like I might have to polish up my pitchfork and join the JJ hate crowd if this ever became canon canon. : raises stick in air: - get of my lawn Orci, Kurtzman, JJ whoever
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:00 AM   #389
teacake
Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I know Kirk used to beat him at chess but does Uhura need to take Kirk's place in every way with Spock?
There's great stuff in that sentence and horrifying stuff. The chess being the horrifying.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 31 2013, 06:14 AM   #390
talfe'anhar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
This may sound a little weird, but here goes: I say Spock's story in STXI is an analogy for a closeted homosexual coming out. He has emotions, which his people see as extremely distasteful. He can't supress them as well as they do, but he TRIES to live up to his rigid society's expectations of emotionlessness. He acts like he doesn't have them in public.

Uhura, she's his secret release for his emotions. Their relationship is an improper and secret student-teacher one, surrogate for a secret gay one.

After his mother died and his world destroyed, Spock cracks, and "comes out" to his father (Amanda always knew, and didn't care, "whatever you do, you will always have a proud mother"), saying this is it, he can't bottle this shit up anymore, he has emotions and that's that. And Sarek says not to try, and that he's proud of him.

Spock and Uhura smooch on the transporter pad in front of everyone, Spock uses Uhura's "secret" first name. He's out now, being what he really is and wants to be, and not what his society expects.

...that's what me, a straight guy, saw. Am I the only one?
I love this! I think it's a wonderful analogy!
talfe'anhar is offline   Reply With Quote