Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 27 2013, 03:45 AM   #556
diankra
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Timewalker wrote: View Post
And I love the costumes - they're bizarre by our everyday standards, but they're also functional - a person could wear them and go about their daily business.
Yes... they are weird, but no weirder than wearing a tie, or the numerous other bits of current day normal dress which persist as dress codes when the original reason for that bit of everyday apparel has been superceded by zips, or velcro, or buttons, or...
Robots is one of those lightning in a bottle moments when riter, designers, director and actors somehow all got the same idea... even if some of them didn't realise it (the director was doubtful about some of the design, and the writer was horrified by the casting of Uvanov... until he saw the result, and realised this chippy little actor had caught the essence of the character far better than the big bully he'd written could ever have done).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:21 AM   #557
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Just finished watching The Talons of Weng-Chiang for the first time. Absolutely brilliant, and certainly one of the finest examples of the Fourth Doctor's era.
Old July 31 2013, 12:21 AM   #558
Candlelight
Admiral

Trying to get through the audio of all 27 missing stories before the end of the year. Done Marco through to Master Plan over the last two weeks.

Some stories are really good. Others are just hard to get through. Just started the Massacre and it's just as boring the first time around.
Old July 31 2013, 05:50 AM   #559
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Watched Mark of the Rani tonight... well... Oy. That was painful.

I actually have an appreciation for what Colin Baker was doing with the role; and the Rani herself could have been quite the fascinating character. But again, I cannot stand Peri in any way, and the story was ill-served by the Master's presence.
Old July 31 2013, 03:50 PM   #560
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Trying to get through the audio of all 27 missing stories before the end of the year. Done Marco through to Master Plan over the last two weeks.

Some stories are really good. Others are just hard to get through. Just started the Massacre and it's just as boring the first time around.
I'd never call the Massacre boring. It is however a test case of whether something is really Doctor Who just because it's transmitted in Doctor Who - in many ways it's a period political drama where the Doctor happens to appear in the first 15 minutes and the last five to top and tail the story...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 10:26 PM   #561
Starkers
Admiral

I saw The Awkaening a few days ago, been a long time since I'd seen it. It's ok, I think it definitely could have done with being an episode longer though.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 05:19 PM   #562
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Saw The Time Warrior last night, for the first time. That was absolutely brilliant in its epic cheesiness.
Old August 2 2013, 06:46 PM   #563
Starkers
Admiral

God it's like the middle ages around here!

The Time Warrior is fantastic.

Old August 4 2013, 02:51 PM   #564
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Kinda. Really interesting story & good performances. Sadly, the climax features wretched SFX.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 09:41 PM   #565
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Let's see... Since I last posted here, I've seen The Ribos Operation, Remembrance of the Daleks and Terror of the Autons. All of them for the first time.

Ribos was fun, and reminded me of how much I prefer Romana I over Romana II. Mary Tamm's not only prettier, but she's the better actress, IMO.

Terror of the Autons was another good one. I realize the Master's schemes were the overarching "plot" of that season, but it would have been nice to get a little glimpse of why he wanted to destroy humanity in the episode. But regardless, Delgado made a good, sinister counterpart for Pertwee's Doctor. And Jo's kinda fun, she was a nice change of pace from Liz Shaw. I hadn't seen any episodes with her, except The Three Doctors, since I was a kid. Katy Manning's energy makes up for the awkward writing. She's no Sarah Jane or Leela, though.

And Remembrance... I'm so glad I finally saw it. Bloody flipping brilliant that was, all around. Seven and Ace is one of the best Doctor-Companion combinations of the classic show.

After watching Autons last night, I decided to begin a rewatch of NuWho leading up to the 50th. So after break for a late dinner, we watched Rose and The End of the World. TEotW is probably my favorite Davies-penned episode, and it's been a few years since I've seen it. Felt good.
Old August 7 2013, 10:29 PM   #566
Konata Izumi
Commander

Captain Dago wrote: View Post
Kinda. Really interesting story & good performances. Sadly, the climax features wretched SFX.
I've heard something similar before. I was terrified!
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 10:33 PM   #567
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Watched The Pirate Planet the other night, the second serial in The Key to Time saga. First time I'd ever seen it, and I really enjoyed it. Like just about anything Douglas Adams ever did there's a degree of hokey, insane goofiness, but buried underneath that, there are some actually really cool sci-fi concepts.

Plus, I really like Mary Tamm's Romana far better than Lalla Ward's.
Old August 16 2013, 04:36 PM   #568
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Watched Vengeance on Varos this lunchtime. An awesome serial! One of my favourite C. Baker serial now!!!

Latley I've been watching a lot of old Who serials (Vengeance on Varos today, Resurrection of the Daleks yesterday, Remembrance of the Daleks the day before, and Survival two days earlier) all of which have been so much better than I thought. (I also watched School Reunion at some point) These old episodes from the 1980s are marginally better than Moffat who and about the same level as RTD who at its best.

Even the classic series at tie could be quite dark and more graphic than I remember (which I love), but now on moffat Who, not really and dark moments, no one even dies anymore, not so much as a crazed knee now. And the Moffat series is too humorous and light-hearted. Moffat is ruining Doctor Who, why don't the BBC bloody fire him and bring Doctor Who back to its former glory. Plus he's fucked up so much since he's been in. He's turned the Silurian's from monsters to hot lesbian reptilian women (the whole concept of Silurian's to begin with was that they didn't remotely have a human face), made the Daleks into a colourful array of Homebase toilets, then regreted it and darkened them up which was an improvement but then bought back the RTD daleks that the new daleks destroyed in Victory of the Daleks. Plastic Cybermen now so powerful, they will be impossible to write for well, and made the Sontarans and Silurians the doctor's BFFs.
Green Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:44 PM   #569
Starkers
Admiral

You might want to troll another thread, this is about the classic series, don't fucking spoil it.

Old August 16 2013, 05:47 PM   #570
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Mary Tamm's not only prettier, but she's the better actress, IMO.
More often than not, I thought she was wooden, stagy and lifeless, with no rapport whatsoever between her and Tom Baker. Which scene in particular would you say is a good showcase for her acting abilities? Anything you could recommend?