RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 418
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2013, 07:28 PM   #16
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

I will eagerly await the introduction of Barry to the Arrow universe as he is my favorite Flash.
Now if we could go with the original Rogues instead of the Nu52 versions I would be even happier when the Flash gets his own show.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:50 PM   #17
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I hope they follow through with putting Barry on Arrow and then spinning him off on his own show. Barry is not my favorite Flash but his police background works for a show like Arrow and for his own show too.

I also hope they haven't given up on the Amazon show yet.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
It sounds like on Arrow he will be Barry Allen before he gets the powers. Which makes sense. Its taking time before Oliver Queen actually takes on the identity of a true hero and the name Green Arrow.

Sounds like it may happen that way.

tvline.com

Pedowitz noted that since it’s an origin story — and given Arrow‘s own grounded nature — Barry Allen “may not come in with superpowers.”
Old July 30 2013, 08:57 PM   #19
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The Hollywood Reporter is saying that The Flash is also still being developed for the big screen, with an eye to a 2016 release, and that Greg Berlanti is attached to direct and co-write:

For his part, Berlanti is also developing a Flash movie for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, with sources telling THR that the feature is being eyed for 2016. Berlanti will direct and pen the screenplay alongside Chris Brancato, Michael Green, Johns and Guggenheim. Pedowitz also noted that there is no conflict between the movie studio or DC when it comes to the TV series and feature film as previous efforts have proven troublesome when there's such an overlap.
Could this finally mean an end to the embargo?

I never saw a point to it, and I think it's done more harm than good. It was the one thing that held Smallville back more than anything else. Arrow has got off to such an amazing start, but I've been worried the embargo will eventually cause problems for that show as well.

Television might be the ideal place for the DCU. If the Flash series pans out and is a success, I would expect more.

I don't know what it is, but it's been my observation that DC works so much better in an episodic environment. Take the AU for example, while several of the films have been fairly good, non have reached the excellence of the series.

Though to be honest, while a Flash series is great news, I expected Diana to be the next place they looked. With that last failed attempt, I thought they might be close enough that WB might try to bring in some other people, rework things a little, and give it another go on their own network.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what direction they take the show. I would be really surprised if they try to make it as "serious" as Arrow. Flash's RG is about as "goofy" (for lack of a better term) as you can get. A "dark and edgy" Mirror Master, Trickster, and Weather Wizard might come off as absurdly silly to most.
Old July 30 2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

If they're still developing a Flash feature, that would suggest they're planning to have separate TV and movie continuities, then. I guess that rules out what I was thinking, that maybe the emergence of superpowers could be an aftereffect of the introduction of Kryptonian technology to the world. Maybe some remnants of it were scattered around the world and affect people in strange ways, or the government/military tries to reverse-engineer it and experiments on people, or whatever. Kind of like how the MCU is using Asgardian tech as the justification for a lot of its superscience. But if the TV and movie universes are separate, I guess that won't work.

I wonder, though, if Amazon will be part of the DCCWverse, as it were, if it ever gets off the ground.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 09:55 PM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'd much rather just see a fun, action-packed Flash movie myself. I'm not really interested in seeing him get the Smallville/Arrow treatment, and sticking him in yet another moody CW soap opera with yet another complex mythology.

Not to mention that I just can't see them doing anything terribly flashy or cool with his powers on a TV budget (at least not judging by the cheesy superspeed effects we saw on Smallville).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Gojira
Commodore

I am interested to see how a TV show would be handled. I am alo happy they are still doing the Flash movie, But I wonder if that is overkill?
Old July 30 2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
I'd much rather just see a fun, action-packed Flash movie myself. I'm not really interested in seeing him get the Smallville/Arrow treatment, and sticking him in yet another moody CW soap opera with yet another complex mythology.
I question the premise that there's such a thing as "the Smallville/Arrow treatment." Despite their superficial similarities, I find them very different shows.

Not to mention that I just can't see them doing anything terribly flashy or cool with his powers on a TV budget (at least not judging by the cheesy superspeed effects we saw on Smallville).
I guess you haven't seen the 1990 Flash TV series, then. They did some very impressive visual-effects work for their time. Although that may be a matter of budget.

And actually I think Smallville did some pretty impressive work when it went into Clark's accelerated POV and did things in a bullet-time slow-motion style. I often felt that would make a lot of sense for showing the Flash's powers, since his own perceptions are similarly accelerated. That's one thing the '90 show didn't do -- since The Matrix hadn't happened yet -- so it could be a good way to differentiate this Flash show from that one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 11:40 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Fuck tone.

I want Ollie to skewer Supermen and Superwomen.

It's hilarious.

GODS brought low by a bow and arrow kit.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 12:23 AM   #25
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

All I have to say is: If it's about another whiny teenager version of a DC hero, Ya'll can have it.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 12:59 AM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I question the premise that there's such a thing as "the Smallville/Arrow treatment." Despite their superficial similarities, I find them very different shows.
Maybe, but neither one are really the kind of thing I want to see for a Flash series. The tone would probably have to be a lot lighter and more fun than anything the CW typically does.

I guess you haven't seen the 1990 Flash TV series, then. They did some very impressive visual-effects work for their time. Although that may be a matter of budget.

And actually I think Smallville did some pretty impressive work when it went into Clark's accelerated POV and did things in a bullet-time slow-motion style. I often felt that would make a lot of sense for showing the Flash's powers, since his own perceptions are similarly accelerated. That's one thing the '90 show didn't do -- since The Matrix hadn't happened yet -- so it could be a good way to differentiate this Flash show from that one.
I remember liking the original superspeed effect they used in the 90s series, but after awhile they switched to just drawing a simple red blur behind him-- which is basically the same thing they did on Smallville, and which I just thought looked cheesy as hell.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:09 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Big Red Cheese is someone else entirely.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:35 AM   #28
JD
Admiral

This could be pretty cool. At first I was excited because I thought it meant they might be adding superpowers to Arrow, but after reading some of the quotes and comments on here I'm wondering if they'll save the superpowers for the Flash series. But, it would mean that there are superpowers in this version of the DCUniverse at least.
I wonder if the Amazon show takes off after this starts, if they'll then use this to set it up like they're using Arrow for this. I would love to see a big interconnected DCU on The CW. Even though superhero movies tend to be some of my favorites, I do still think that comic book adaptations work on TV, where we can get a more detailed exploration of the characters and their universe.
Old July 31 2013, 02:17 AM   #29
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

More information from Deadline Hollywood:

The Flash will appear in three episodes of the CW's Arrow this coming season before headlining his own spinoff series. The information was shared this afternoon by the three writers – Arrow co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and series scribe Geoff Johns — behind the Flash project. an origin story of Flash’s Barry Allen identity. The episodes, No. 8, No. 9 and No. 20, will be penned by the trio, with David Nutter, who helmed the Arrow pilot, committed to directing Episode 20. Kriesberg also confirmed during the conference call today that the actor who portrays Barry Allen will play him as “an ordinary man” when viewers meet him in Episode 8. “The character will be as grounded and realistic as possible,” he said. “That’s how we’ll get to know him. Then his life will get a bit faster.” He added that the surrounding characters in Arrow will react to Allen “in a very realistic way,” noting that they “won’t be treated as commonplace on the show but as extraordinary events.” Kreisberg added: “It will be fun for the audience to see how we do our take on The Flash’s powers. Some will feel very familiar to those who know the comics, and other stuff will feel different yet fresh and exciting.” Berlanti noted, “That said, he does need powers to become The Flash. And he will be The Flash. He will wear a red costume, and he will go by that name.”
And more on the conference call from The Hollywood Reporter:

One of the things that makes CW's Arrow the most grounded is the fact that the series isn't about individuals with superpowers -- with the Flash a clear violation of that. Producers noted that they'll handle the introduction of Barry's superspeed in a way that isn't commonplace. "There will be extraordinary events in the world and the characters will react in the same way," Kreisberg noted.

"The fact he has superpowers, there's something more relatable about Barry among of the Big Seven of the Justice League," he added. "He got his powers by accident; he's not a god, he's not an alien … his reactions to that feel very … human and grounded.

Since Flash is a back-door pilot episode of Arrow, the character will mix it up with Oliver -- providing a stark contrast to the two heroes.

"Oliver Queen is very dark and tortured soul and Barry is not," Kreisberg said, noting he will have a profound impact on Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. "He's a great character who is going to affect all of our characters lives. It will be fun … to see these two characters together because they have two different worlds."

Added Johns: "We're also exploring a very personal story for Barry, life as forensic scientist and the people around him, the tragedies and how he deals with them in a very different way than Oliver Queen. The intention, they noted, will be to add to Arrow instead of stripping away characters from the series should the spinoff move forward, meaning it's likely the residents of Starling City will remain there.

Johns reiterated that the Justice League member will be seen as the Flash -- complete with his trademark red costume and not a poor imitation. Added Kreisberg: "No sweat suits or strange code names; he will be The Flash."

Producers haven't yet figured out how they plan to depict the Flash's lightning speed but Johns insisted it won't just be the standard "blurring around."
Old July 31 2013, 02:49 AM   #30
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Well that extra info sounds very good. Having an extraordinary event create the Flash means it wont happen a lot and leaves an opening for versions of the classic rogues.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote