RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 422
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2013, 06:16 PM   #31
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: George Lucas - Why the Vitriol?

crookeddy wrote: View Post
I wasn't too surprised. The OT pushed visual effects of the time to their limit. The PT also pushed visual effects of the time to their limit. The real difference is that the limits changed a lot.
Well then I guess we should be thankful that he WAS so hampered and restricted by the technology of the day.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:18 PM   #32
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I wasn't too surprised. The OT pushed visual effects of the time to their limit. The PT also pushed visual effects of the time to their limit. The real difference is that the limits changed a lot.
Well then I guess we should be thankful that he WAS so hampered and restricted by the technology of the day.
That's exactly the point. But that's not only the case with George Lucas. The better the CGI, the worse the films, at least that's my impression. Nowadays everyone can do exactly what he or she wants. That wasn't the case 20 years ago. Compromise makes the better films, simply because less is more.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:19 PM   #33
J.T.B.
Commodore

I have no vitriol for Lucas personally. I saw a screening of American Graffiti over the weekend, and once again found it brilliant. Star Wars, too; they were fun, innovative, ground-breaking movies that deserved their massive-hit status. If he never made a decent movie again, he still accomplished more than most filmmakers.

I thought the "Special Edition" changes to the original trilogy were awful and added nothing to the films. But that is his prerogative. Where I disagree strongly with Lucas is his decision not to preserve, exhibit or release in a commercially viable home video format the first three Star Wars pictures in their original form. It is detrimental to the history of cinema and I simply can't fathom the motivation behind it.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:26 PM   #34
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

And, to be fair, it's not just Lucas. The Great Steven Spierberg's re-whatever-ing of E.T. by replacing shotguns with walkie-talkies in the hands of all the officer extras comes to mind. Made me want to swallow a bull...er...antenna.
Old July 30 2013, 06:35 PM   #35
J.T.B.
Commodore

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
And, to be fair, it's not just Lucas. The Great Steven Spierberg's re-whatever-ing of E.T. by replacing shotguns with walkie-talkies in the hands of all the officer extras comes to mind. Made me want to swallow a bull...er...antenna.
But Spielberg did admit a couple of years ago that it was the wrong decision and said he would not do anything like that in the future.
Old July 30 2013, 06:46 PM   #36
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Oh! Missed that one. Well, then...good that he realized it. Thanks for the link on that.
Old July 30 2013, 07:02 PM   #37
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Where I disagree strongly with Lucas is his decision not to preserve, exhibit or release in a commercially viable home video format the first three Star Wars pictures in their original form. It is detrimental to the history of cinema and I simply can't fathom the motivation behind it.
This is my problem with Lucas also. I feel no hate or vitriol toward the man, but I do strongly disagree with his wish to erase any previous version of the OT once a new change has been made.

It's like he doesn't understand that there's money to be made in a giant DVD set of every version of the OT. Hell, just look at the 2007 releases of the three versions of Close Encounters, or that "suitcase" release of all five versions of Blade Runner. I'm happy to have those in my collection.

Ditto that three disk ET set.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:29 PM   #38
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

So what is on the "theatrical version" disc of my DVDs? Is its till the special edition? How is it different then whats on disc one?
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:01 PM   #39
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I've never hated him but I was starting to get somewhat irritated whenever I read a quote of his stating that there was no further Star Wars story after Jedi. There obviously was, with all of those Extended Universe(?) books (which I have never read). It made me start to think that he was maybe so petty and egotistical that he was afraid that someone would come along and do something brilliant thereby making him look even worse vis a vis the PT.

But now that he has sold the rights to the franchise to a company who is more than willing to explore the franchise beyond Jedi, all is forgiven. I still think the man just got older and wiser and finally, it just wasn't that big a deal to him anyomre, having someone else handle his baby. Perhaps meeting a good woman and falling in love did it.

But wouldn't you know it, there are fans who are bellyaching about Disney and J.J. before even seeing a teaser. Perhaps George wasn't the only one in need of some growth.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:05 PM   #40
J.T.B.
Commodore

So what is on the "theatrical version" disc of my DVDs? Is its till the special edition? How is it different then whats on disc one?
The 2006 bonus discs are the laserdisc video from 20 years ago dumped onto DVD. It looks terrible on modern equipment, and has a number of glitches and artifacts from the video transfer process. I personally can't watch it on any of my home screens it looks so bad, and I am normally fairly tolerant of "low rez" video.
Old July 30 2013, 08:21 PM   #41
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Where I disagree strongly with Lucas is his decision not to preserve, exhibit or release in a commercially viable home video format the first three Star Wars pictures in their original form. It is detrimental to the history of cinema and I simply can't fathom the motivation behind it.
This is my problem with Lucas also. I feel no hate or vitriol toward the man, but I do strongly disagree with his wish to erase any previous version of the OT once a new change has been made.

It's like he doesn't understand that there's money to be made in a giant DVD set of every version of the OT. Hell, just look at the 2007 releases of the three versions of Close Encounters, or that "suitcase" release of all five versions of Blade Runner. I'm happy to have those in my collection.

Ditto that three disk ET set.
Forget "every" version of the OT.. just release the Original Trilogy in the best quality possible with todays remastering technology and i guarantee you it will be the best selling Blu Ray box of all time breaking all kinds of records.

I can also safely say that i will pre-order that sucker no matter what it may cost.

While we're at that topic.. does Disney now own the full rights to the whole Star Wars universe meaning that may happen at some point? I know Lucas is hardcore against it because for some reason he feels they are bad (disregarding the fact that people who grew up with these movies don't care about outdated special effects and filming mistakes.. to them it's part of their childhood including mine) but can Disney release them? If so i'm pretty sure they will because they will do the simple math and come to the conclusion that there's a huge money explosion to be made with that set.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:43 PM   #42
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I wonder if a condition of sale mandated by Lucas to Disney was that the Holiday Special will never see the light of day. I could see them releasing that as a bonus disc in a set just for the sheer novelty factor - they might actually pull in some serious one-time coin from all the fanboyz who want to upgrade their fuzzy 30-year old VHS convention bootlegs.
Old July 30 2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The only place I see hatred for Lucas is the internet. For me, the man made some good movies and made some bad movies.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 11:08 PM   #44
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

He's kind of a one trick pony, he has one story that story - put Han Solo in a magical scifi space temple, have him kiss the girl while fighting off swords, bullets and have Indiana lightsabre Solo reluctantly become a hero fighting cyborgs or fighting brain washed human police officers in some far away land where a rebellion is taking place. He's no Jack Kirby, no James Joyce, no Virginia Wolf, no Shakespeare, no Stan Lee, no Isaac Asimov, no Ursula, no Kubrick, no Spielberg, he's no Ridley Scott

I once almost loved the films but now in hindsight believe the original trilogy to be a bit childish and something of a fashionable fad in the 80s. I used to love the DVDs and VHS as a kid but when you grow into adulthood I don't think his films age well like other film classics

He's a money hungry freak and tried to sue Battlestar Galactica, yes he's a legal nutbag and will phone a lawyer over anything. Star Wars itself is not so original lifting heavily from Metropolis, Silent Running, 2001, Buck Rogers, Dark Star, The Hidden Fortress etc so Lucas legally attacking battlestar and other scifi films citing forty-four specific counts of plagiarism and other BS, he tried to sue hiphop and rock artists, sue video games, sue Reagan for cold war satellite names, had copyright lawsuit against the digg website, all of this was just money grabbing control freak bollocks

Last edited by TheMasterOfOrion; July 30 2013 at 11:33 PM.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 11:09 PM   #45
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's exactly the point. But that's not only the case with George Lucas. The better the CGI, the worse the films, at least that's my impression. Nowadays everyone can do exactly what he or she wants. That wasn't the case 20 years ago. Compromise makes the better films, simply because less is more.
Case in point: Jaws is a much better movie than it might have been because they couldn't get their mechanical shark to work right. Nowadays you just Sharknado.