Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

FLASH series being developed for The CW

EXCLUSIVE: Another DC Comics male superhero is looking to join the CW’s lineup. I’ve learned that the network is fast tracking Flash, a drama project based on the DC character from the Arrow team of co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and director David Nutter. The CW is expected to discuss the project at today’s TCA presentation. I hear there is an idea is to introduce The Flash on Arrow next season before spinning it off into its own series. I hear Flash will be written by Berlanti, Kreisberg and DC Entertainment’s Geoff Johns who also has written for Arrow. Nutter, who helmed the Arrow pilot, will direct the potential pilot, while Berlanti and Kreisberg are expected to run the potential series.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/cw-e...-david-nutter/

Well, this is surprising. I had thought WB would be going the movie route with the character, but a weekly series would be cool too.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

So much for the no super powers on Arrow idea...
Old July 30 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

That's a surprising retcon to the Arrow universe, but I think it's a promising development. Arrow has turned out to be a strong interpretation of the DCU, so it could make sense to use it as the anchor for an extended DCU on television, given how much trouble they're having getting one to work in the movies. Okay, they are going forward with a Batman/Superman movie, but there are no guarantees.

Or, maybe the plan is to follow Marvel's lead and do a shared universe encompassing both film and TV. It's conceivable that Arrow could be retroactively folded into the Man of Steel universe (or vice-versa, depending on how you look at it).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:33 PM   #4
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
So much for the no super powers on Arrow idea...
I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that this is just not true as the writers for Arrow have seemed quite serious about the no super-powers rule and at this point it would really not fit with the style of the program that they have developed.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

It will be interesting to see how this compares with the CBS series from the '90s. I assume it'll be somewhat more gritty/dark from what little I've seen of Arrow. I hope not too much so, though. To me, the flash is one of those characters that needs a bit of a lighter touch than say a Batman type of character. But maybe not quite as sunshiny as Superman.
Old July 30 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I had the same thought Christopher. There is no reason a Justice League movie could not crossover between tv and movies. SHIELD is showing that the studios are seeing the benefits of that.

I do not think I would call this a retcon of Arrow. More like a re-conception. They have had minor characters who in the comics have powers without any. No major superpowered characters have appeared without.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I don't really see a problem with The Flash conflicting with no Super powers, per say. I think it all comes to down to The Flash' origin and wether it's sciency enough or too magic-y, but, the powers themselves, shouldn't be an issue.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

If the Flash is introduced on Arrow I hope his own series is fairly soon after that. Once Oliver Queen became a regular on Smallville there was no chance of a Green Arrow spin-off. He had been so exposed on there and tied into its mythology he would not have worked in a show tied to it. Having a connection and using Arrow as a launch is good. But I think it would hurt both shows if they are too intertwined.

For this to work both series will have to have separate styles. Also I hope Central City will not be next door to Sterling City. That way even if occasionally superpowered heroes and villains appear on Arrow it can still maintain its own unique style and identity.
Old July 30 2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Deadline has the following update:

During the CW executive session, the network’s topper Mark Pedowitz gave more details about The Flash project. It will be the origin story of Barry Allen who will be introduced as a recurring character on Arrowthis coming season.”We want to exapand the DC universe of characters,” he said.
Old July 30 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

It sounds like on Arrow he will be Barry Allen before he gets the powers. Which makes sense. Its taking time before Oliver Queen actually takes on the identity of a true hero and the name Green Arrow.
Old July 30 2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I hope the build up to super powers on Arrow is gradual. Maybe villains with more tech, gadgets and gizmos. This leads up to the accident where Forensic scientist Barry Allen gets super powers and leaves town.

If they throw the fantastic at us right away some fans will reject it. But if done slowly, it will fit the concept by the time Barry gets his powers.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

We have already got Roy Harper, this could lead to Wally West as Barry's nephew. Perhaps a Titans show could happen at some point down the line?
Old July 30 2013, 06:26 PM   #13
dansigal
Commander

They could conceivably still never do superpowers on Arrow if they introduce Barry on Arrow and wait for his own show before he becomes the Flash. Technically it would be a shared universe, but tonally, they could keep the two shows very separate.

Kind of like how John Barrowman (coincidentally of Arrow) has said in the past that Captain Jack could guest on Doctor Who, but they could never have the Doctor guest on Torchwood, because the show as too dark for that character to be associated with.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
kirk55555
Commodore

This sounds interesting. I would actually love to see super powers on Arrow. I don't like how these shows try to handicap themselves just to stay to a random writers vision (no suit/flying for Clark on Smallville for example). Arrow has been awesome and could remain that way with no powers, but I think it would be cool to have super powered people sometimes. Its a superhero tv show, it really shouldn't be a question of if when it comes to actually having characters with super powers.

I like the idea of a Flash TV show, but they need to do it right. Don't handicap him like the old Flash TV show (I've only seen a few episodes, but I remember that Flash almost dying after running just 300 miles or so, which is beyond pathetic). Also, get real supervillains for Flash. Not some random albino guy who you pretend is a version of Captain Cold, get a guy with a freeze gun and the name. This could be good, and I hope it happens, as long as its done right (and right now CW has proven it can have good live action superhero shows, hopefully Flash won't be an exception).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that The Flash is also still being developed for the big screen, with an eye to a 2016 release, and that Greg Berlanti is attached to direct and co-write:

For his part, Berlanti is also developing a Flash movie for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, with sources telling THR that the feature is being eyed for 2016. Berlanti will direct and pen the screenplay alongside Chris Brancato, Michael Green, Johns and Guggenheim. Pedowitz also noted that there is no conflict between the movie studio or DC when it comes to the TV series and feature film as previous efforts have proven troublesome when there's such an overlap.