Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 24 2013, 07:01 PM   #16
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Rewatching "Emissary"...

Timo wrote: View Post
I think this whole sequence would be a good candidate for cutting in the two-hour syndicated version (I've never seen it, don't know if it was or not), it's a nice scene but feels a little out-of-flow with the rest of the storyline.
Yup, Miles' goodbye scene with Picard is gone in that version. And good riddance.
The one thing I appreciate about the Miles goodbye scene in the pilot is that its nicely paralleled in the finale with him again leaving - this time the station.
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Such a terrific pilot. Only The Cage beats it.

The portrayal of the Prophets is so much better than it is later in the final season. They're truly alien and interesting.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Maj. Kira Nerys
Ensign

What I love about Emissary is that it shows right in the beginning that it really defines the characters. That's something TOS and TNG didn't quite manage. But as someone wrote above you already know them in the middle of the episode and there is room for conflict between them.
What I also like about Emissary and about DS9 in general is that at the end of one episode there's no "All is well". Kira and Sisko take quite some time and a number of episodes to like each other, while Riker and Picard are in perfect harmony at the end of the first episode. And I think, that makes DS9 very believable.
And then there are some scenes that are just great. Kira's and Sisko's first meeting, the scenes with the prophets.
I must have watched that episode twenty times at the least.

Allons-y! (Tenth Doctor)
Maj. Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:29 AM   #19
TheSubCommander
Captain

The thing I remember most about this Episode is how much hatred Sisko had for Picard, initially. It almost appears it is taking everything in him not to just grab Picard by the throat and strangle him! On one hand, you can understand Sisko, but I felt really bad for Picard in that scene, too. Definitely changed that "We're one big happy fleet," concept!
TheSubCommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:56 AM   #20
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think it was very brave for them to have done that, as having Sisko treat the fan-favourite Star Trek captain badly could easily have made him unlikeable.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:06 AM   #21
Maj. Kira Nerys
Ensign

I felt bad for Picard at the beginning, too, and it made me even dislike Sisko for a short time, but after some episodes I decided that I like him after all.

And Sisko's reaction was understandable, but so was Picard's, who can't be blamed for being assimilated.

Allons-y! (Tenth Doctor)
Maj. Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 11:19 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Maj. Kira Nerys wrote: View Post
I felt bad for Picard at the beginning, too, and it made me even dislike Sisko for a short time, but after some episodes I decided that I like him after all.

And Sisko's reaction was understandable, but so was Picard's, who can't be blamed for being assimilated.
The whole scene struck me as very human. The incident caused both of them some deep running scars after all.
Old July 28 2013, 01:06 PM   #23
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That's what I missed, an apology by Sisko for blaming Picard for something he couldn't do anything about. One of the reasons why I think Sisko should have been aboard the Defiant in First Contact.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:04 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's what I missed, an apology by Sisko for blaming Picard for something he couldn't do anything about. One of the reasons why I think Sisko should have been aboard the Defiant in First Contact.
To me, that last scene between the two where Picard cut him off, I think Sisko was going to apologize. Call it seeing what I wanted to see, but I think both of them came to an understanding without saying a word.
Old July 28 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
Anwar
Vice Admiral

There didn't need to be a scene where he apologizes, because I'm sure Picard probably figured that Sisko can't help but feel hurt.

What might have been nice would be a scene where Sisko just realizes that Picard wasn't to blame and there's no point holding onto that anger now that he's accepted Jennifer's gone.

In fact, the novelization of "Emissary" had Sisko realize what a jerk he'd been to Picard and he felt like a real ass over it. He realized that Picard was just another victim of the Borg and he's suffered enough, and it should be something they could relate over if anything.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Trek Survivor
Captain

Definitely the best Trek pilot. Can't agree with the person above who said it sets things up perfectly for the mess the writers later made of the Sisko/Prophet relationship, but on its own, "Emissary" is the best Trek pilot, and one of the best DS9 episodes.

I think the handshake between Sisko and Picard says everything that needs to be said at the end. Sisko didn't need to spell it out. We men don't need these things called "words" sometimes...
Old July 30 2013, 01:54 AM   #27
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Answer to last question is "Yes."
Yes, it was and is still a great episode.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:22 PM   #28
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Maj. Kira Nerys wrote: View Post

If anything, that scene made Sisko's stock with me jump considerably.

Maybe Picard isn't at fault for what happened at Wolf 359. But, Picard still acts like a dismissive, elitist asshole in the way he deals with Sisko, lecturing him about how Starfleet officers have to accept a certain amount of sacrifice while he sits in his posh lounge playing with his tea set. If anything, Sisko acts with what must be considerable restraint on his part.
Old July 30 2013, 06:09 PM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Maybe Picard isn't at fault for what happened at Wolf 359. But, Picard still acts like a dismissive, elitist asshole in the way he deals with Sisko, lecturing him about how Starfleet officers have to accept a certain amount of sacrifice while he sits in his posh lounge playing with his tea set. If anything, Sisko acts with what must be considerable restraint on his part.
Picard earned that posh lounge and tea set with a lot of sweat and blood.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:04 PM   #30
dub
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Picard earned that posh lounge and tea set with a lot of sweat and blood.
Jennifer's blood, from Sisko's POV.

It's a POV not based on the reality of Picard's lack of control over his person, but a very deep, skewed, emotionally damaged POV focused on the loss of his wife which had obviously consumed him ever since.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote