Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 23 2013, 06:07 PM   #16
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

Re: Doctor Who from the start (by a n00b)

MikeS wrote: View Post
^Thanks for the answer. Amazing that the BBC just binned a load of art. Do you still think there's any chance whatsoever of them turning up somewhere?
Well, two episodes turned up in the past year or two, so there's always a chance. Astime goes on I guess it becomes less likely, but the show was broadcast all other the world and some old recordings do sometimes turn up aborad every so many years.

So maybe, maybe not.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 01:40 AM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Amazing that the BBC just binned a load of art.
Back in the 1960s there were no reruns, shows aired once and that was it. And in the 1970s there were still no reruns and BBC believed there was no worth to black and white shows now that everyone had a colour TV.
Old March 24 2013, 02:08 AM   #18
diankra
Commodore

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
^Thanks for the answer. Amazing that the BBC just binned a load of art. Do you still think there's any chance whatsoever of them turning up somewhere?
Well, two episodes turned up in the past year or two, so there's always a chance. Astime goes on I guess it becomes less likely, but the show was broadcast all other the world and some old recordings do sometimes turn up aborad every so many years.

So maybe, maybe not.
The track record is that 106 episodes are currently missing, 105 of which might just possibly survive (the other one was never transfered to film, so it's gone).
2 turned up in 2011.
1 in 2003.
1 in 1999.
4 in 1992.
4 in 1988.
20-ish between 1978 and 1987.
So, the rate is slowing down, as the obvious places to check have been checked, but sometimes things turn up.

Last edited by diankra; March 24 2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Sorting typos
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:39 AM   #19
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Back in the 1960s there were no reruns, shows aired once and that was it. And in the 1970s there were still no reruns and BBC believed there was no worth to black and white shows now that everyone had a colour TV.
There were reruns actually, in the '70s they'd put a story together movie style and show it and in the break between Tom Baker and Peter Davson they showed what amounted to full season of past Dcotors calling it The Five Faces Of The Doctor.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 11:17 AM   #20
arthur2sheds
Lieutenant

Doctor Who wasn't the only casualty of the film and tape purges. A large chunk of the BBC archives was destroyed,news programmes, documentaries and lots o classic BBC comedy. It wasn't only black and white shows that were junked either. Lots of late 60's and 70's colour programmes were wiped so that the BBC could reuse the then expensive videotapes.
Old March 24 2013, 03:24 PM   #21
diankra
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
There were reruns actually, in the '70s they'd put a story together movie style and show it and in the break between Tom Baker and Peter Davson they showed what amounted to full season of past Dcotors calling it The Five Faces Of The Doctor.
The Five Faces season wasn't edited into movies, they ran the original episodes, but stripped four days a week. For five weeks on Mondays, we had the first episode of a vintage Doctor Who at 5.40, then The Adventure Game, and then after a half hour gap, a new episode of Blake's 7!
The movie compilations were earlier, between about '72 and '77, when there'd be one or two each Christmas (from '78 onwards, the Beeb went over to running two or three complete stories in the summer instead). Oh, and the 1982 vintage repeats season, Doctor Who and the Monsters, was re-edited, into two double length episodes for each story.

But of course, to get back to the original point, there weren't any Doctor Who repeats during the 60s, which is the era that's missing, aside from a repeat of the first episode the following week, and of Evil of the Daleks in summer '68.
Old March 24 2013, 06:18 PM   #22
DWF
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

The Five Faces season wasn't edited into movies, they ran the original episodes, but stripped four days a week. For five weeks on Mondays, we had the first episode of a vintage Doctor Who at 5.40, then The Adventure Game, and then after a half hour gap, a new episode of Blake's 7!
The movie compilations were earlier, between about '72 and '77, when there'd be one or two each Christmas (from '78 onwards, the Beeb went over to running two or three complete stories in the summer instead). Oh, and the 1982 vintage repeats season, Doctor Who and the Monsters, was re-edited, into two double length episodes for each story.

But of course, to get back to the original point, there weren't any Doctor Who repeats during the 60s, which is the era that's missing, aside from a repeat of the first episode the following week, and of Evil of the Daleks in summer '68.
I know The Five Faces Of Doctor Who weren't exdited into movie format, but repeats from the '70s were. And of course there no or few repeats in the '60s because the wasn't off the air for long til the end of the Troughton era.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:18 AM   #23
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

arthur2sheds wrote: View Post
Doctor Who wasn't the only casualty of the film and tape purges. A large chunk of the BBC archives was destroyed,news programmes, documentaries and lots o classic BBC comedy. It wasn't only black and white shows that were junked either. Lots of late 60's and 70's colour programmes were wiped so that the BBC could reuse the then expensive videotapes.
The sad thing is if they'd waited just a few more years, the VCR boom would have opened up a huge new demand.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:44 PM   #24
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

If you don't mind my asking (I'm a noob to "old-Who" too and wouldn't mind getting acquainted), how does one go about "watching" and rating episodes when they are missing?

Cheers.
Every episode exists in one form or another, even if it is just audio with pictures. I've been watching fan-made reconstructions. They're not particularly difficult to find.

I felt it was worth sticking with because you do get characters referring back to things that happened in these 'missing' stories, and it's nice to get a complete picture of what's been happening (even though generally the stories are not linked to each other).
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I've now seen every episode of Jon Pertwee's era, finishing with the unwhelming Planet of the Spiders.

Read my summary of the third doctor and my choice of favourite episodes here:
http://doctorwhofromthestart.wordpre...best-episodes/
Old April 19 2013, 10:12 AM   #26
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I'm not a fan of the Third Doctor at all, but there are quite a lot of fine stories in this era, and I liked Planet of the Spiders. In fact, I thought Pertwee was rather good in it.
Old June 5 2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I am deep into Baker territory now, and the show has improved immeasurably!

Some highlights so far:

The Sontaran Experiment
But I think The Sontaran Experiment also shows that you donít need a big budget to tell a compelling sci-fi story either. This takes place entirely on some hills (no sets), and reuses some old costumes. And yet, itís a compelling tale of human survival, Sontaran wickedness and Time Lord cunning.
Pyramids of Mars
Overall, this is a very enjoyable serial. The plot is interesting, the robot mummies are good, and the dialogue between the Doctor and Sarah is more natural and witty than normal. They also have a good team dynamic, working together well. Success!
The Deadly Assassin
This is a really well-written and well-envisioned story, and very different in style from the usual. Itís quite dark, dealing with themes of murder, survival, conspiracy and politics, and none of the four episodes feels wasted on anything frivolous.
The Robots of Death
Youíve got to have likeable, or at least identifiable, characters when you make a murder mystery story, and The Robots of Death manages to achieve this where embarrassingly modern blockbusters like Prometheus fall flat on their face.
Old June 5 2013, 03:07 PM   #28
diankra
Commodore

Glad you like Robots of Death. And on the whole, that season (Masque of Mandragora through to Talons of Weng-Chiang) must be one of the best ever made: when Hand of Fear and Face of Evil are competing for weakest story of the season, it's a pretty good season!
Old July 30 2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

I'm up to Tom Baker's final series now, and the 1980s brings with it a welcome change in tone and style (and a cool new theme tune!).

The Leisure Hive
Season 18 gets off to a terrific start, but how much of that is down to its fresh new audio-visual style? Itís not just the synthy soundtrack (reminding me of Blade Runner), but improvements on direction, composition, camera movements and so on. The Leisure Hive is about as good looking as a studio-shot Doctor Who serial has ever looked so far.
Old August 4 2013, 03:14 AM   #30
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

About a year ago, I started from the beginning, but I gave up after the first season. FWIW, here were my thoughts at the time...