RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,602
Posts: 5,424,973
Members: 24,805
Currently online: 434
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 30 2013, 03:08 AM   #31
indianatrekker26
Captain
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Christopher wrote: View Post
indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
I guess i'm just getting old. There was a time when a DC cartoon was appropriate for children. Those days are long gone now.
No, there are DC-based cartoons from Warner Bros. directed at various age groups. TV shows on Cartoon Network tend to be aimed at younger viewers; Teen Titans Go! and Beware the Batman are both TV-PG, although TTG is aimed at a considerably younger crowd. But the DVD movies are deliberately aimed at an older demographic than the TV shows. The point is that the PG-13 rating on the DVDs gives the producers freedom from the restrictions they have to work within on commercial TV and be a little more adult.
well, that's good to know that there's some material out there for younger children who are fans of DC comics and characters. Being 34 now, i just remember a time when all DC animation/cartoons were appropriate for kids. I'm thinking back tot he Fleisher superman and superfriends cartoons. I haven't kept up with DC animation since the Batman the animated series. While even that series was more adult than the older superfriends, i don't remember it being so violent. I guess the violence in Flashpoint just really threw me for a loop. I havent seen any of DC animated movies other than this one.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:21 AM   #32
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

^But that's why movies have ratings -- to give people an indication about their content before watching them. The official MPAA rating for Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox reads "Rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and action throughout."

If you don't want to be caught off-guard by the content of a movie -- or for your kids to be -- then you should pay attention to the rating information. That's what it's there for.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 04:47 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

But what if you want to be caught off guard?

There should be a warning label "???".
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:39 PM   #34
indianatrekker26
Captain
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But that's why movies have ratings -- to give people an indication about their content before watching them. The official MPAA rating for Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox reads "Rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence and action throughout."

If you don't want to be caught off-guard by the content of a movie -- or for your kids to be -- then you should pay attention to the rating information. That's what it's there for.
i'm not disputing that at all, Chris. I was simply thinking back to a time when that wasn't even necessary, that cartoons had to have different types of ratings. But i realize those days are long gone.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:41 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
i'm not disputing that at all, Chris. I was simply thinking back to a time when that wasn't even necessary, that cartoons had to have different types of ratings. But i realize those days are long gone.
When was that? Animated films, like all movies, have been rated by the MPAA since the system was introduced in the late '60s. True, traditionally most American animated films have been rated G, but there have always been exceptions, including the R-rated Heavy Metal and the X-rated Fritz the Cat. And of course there have always been animated films in Japan and Europe that have been aimed at adults as well as those aimed at children.

You're talking as though it was preferable for all animated productions to be aimed solely at children. It wasn't. That was too restrictive on the art form. It's good to have productions accessible for children, of course, but it's good to have productions targeted at older audiences too. It's not a zero-sum choice.

Animation is a medium, not a genre. It makes no more sense to expect all animation to be alike in content than it does to expect all novellas or all musicals or all oil paintings to feature the same subjects. There have always been comics and cartoons aimed at children and there have always been comics and cartoons aimed at adults. In most of the world, there's never been a perception that cartoons were a specifically youth-oriented medium. That perception exists in the United States mainly because Disney came to dominate feature-film animation for so long and they chose to target their product solely at family audiences. And that limited the medium of animation in America for a long time, robbed it of breadth and kept it from fulfilling its full potential. Meanwhile, Japan was doing amazing adult-oriented animated films such as Akira and Grave of the Fireflies, while still doing plenty of family-friendly films and shows as well.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

I am assuming he just means superhero films. In the past those were primarily aimed at children. Batman The Animated Series was the first time that started to change. Even there when it started at FOX they had a ton of limitations from censors. Unless it was an Android like in the HARDAC episodes, Batman could not punch anyone.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 08:00 PM   #37
indianatrekker26
Captain
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Christopher wrote: View Post
indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
i'm not disputing that at all, Chris. I was simply thinking back to a time when that wasn't even necessary, that cartoons had to have different types of ratings. But i realize those days are long gone.
When was that? Animated films, like all movies, have been rated by the MPAA since the system was introduced in the late '60s. True, traditionally most American animated films have been rated G, but there have always been exceptions, including the R-rated Heavy Metal and the X-rated Fritz the Cat. And of course there have always been animated films in Japan and Europe that have been aimed at adults as well as those aimed at children.

You're talking as though it was preferable for all animated productions to be aimed solely at children. It wasn't. That was too restrictive on the art form. It's good to have productions accessible for children, of course, but it's good to have productions targeted at older audiences too. It's not a zero-sum choice.

Animation is a medium, not a genre. It makes no more sense to expect all animation to be alike in content than it does to expect all novellas or all musicals or all oil paintings to feature the same subjects. There have always been comics and cartoons aimed at children and there have always been comics and cartoons aimed at adults. In most of the world, there's never been a perception that cartoons were a specifically youth-oriented medium. That perception exists in the United States mainly because Disney came to dominate feature-film animation for so long and they chose to target their product solely at family audiences. And that limited the medium of animation in America for a long time, robbed it of breadth and kept it from fulfilling its full potential. Meanwhile, Japan was doing amazing adult-oriented animated films such as Akira and Grave of the Fireflies, while still doing plenty of family-friendly films and shows as well.
Chris, sometimes you really get worked up over things. I'm just talking about my own personal experiences and memories that I was reminiscing about. I wasn't planning to get into a dissertation over the whole history of animation.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:05 AM   #38
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
i'm not disputing that at all, Chris. I was simply thinking back to a time when that wasn't even necessary, that cartoons had to have different types of ratings. But i realize those days are long gone.
When was that? Animated films, like all movies, have been rated by the MPAA since the system was introduced in the late '60s. True, traditionally most American animated films have been rated G, but there have always been exceptions, including the R-rated Heavy Metal and the X-rated Fritz the Cat. And of course there have always been animated films in Japan and Europe that have been aimed at adults as well as those aimed at children.

You're talking as though it was preferable for all animated productions to be aimed solely at children. It wasn't. That was too restrictive on the art form. It's good to have productions accessible for children, of course, but it's good to have productions targeted at older audiences too. It's not a zero-sum choice.

Animation is a medium, not a genre. It makes no more sense to expect all animation to be alike in content than it does to expect all novellas or all musicals or all oil paintings to feature the same subjects. There have always been comics and cartoons aimed at children and there have always been comics and cartoons aimed at adults. In most of the world, there's never been a perception that cartoons were a specifically youth-oriented medium. That perception exists in the United States mainly because Disney came to dominate feature-film animation for so long and they chose to target their product solely at family audiences. And that limited the medium of animation in America for a long time, robbed it of breadth and kept it from fulfilling its full potential. Meanwhile, Japan was doing amazing adult-oriented animated films such as Akira and Grave of the Fireflies, while still doing plenty of family-friendly films and shows as well.
Chris, sometimes you really get worked up over things. I'm just talking about my own personal experiences and memories that I was reminiscing about. I wasn't planning to get into a dissertation over the whole history of animation.
Heh, I see you've fallen victim to one of the classic trekbbs blunders. anyway...

Going by just about every other DC DTV release I figured this'd be ok for my kids too. I didn't even check the ratings. Only by reading the reviews did I see the blood factor is kicked up a notch in this. I put the disk in and we watched the Justice League episode on it and I put them to bed. I just finished watching the movie and it's really not appropriate for kids IMHO. Lots of blood and death, even the death of a child.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:48 AM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Define "Kids"

Too young and they won't understand the bad thing, but too old and they're pushing pause to sneak out the back for a fag break every 15 minutes.

There is this absolutely tiny goldilocks moment of impressionability most parents would need a flashlight and tweezers to find.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 08:57 PM   #40
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

OK, finally getting to see this today and had to pause to post in the first 5 minutes. Anyone notice that young Barry's house looks just like Marty McFly's house from BTTF? Or is it just been so long since I've watched BTTF that I'm remembering wrong?
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 10:40 PM   #41
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Is there a electrical tower behind the house?
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 06:14 PM   #42
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Never read teh Graphic Novel, and generally liked it, but I do have a few questions:

1) Since when is Aquaman's strength level (especially inland); at about the same level as Wonder Woman's? (IE He really seemed buffed up in the alternate timeline.)

2) If this new timeline (created by Barry himself) lead to all the changes and ultimately the end of the planet itself - How in the hell did the 25th century 'Professor Zoom' villain manage to still exist; and come back to the 20th century to torment Barry?
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 06:51 PM   #43
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

For 2, think of it as a fork in the road. Zoom came back before the fork was taken and then followed the new route forward.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:09 PM   #44
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Never read teh Graphic Novel, and generally liked it, but I do have a few questions:

1) Since when is Aquaman's strength level (especially inland); at about the same level as Wonder Woman's? (IE He really seemed buffed up in the alternate timeline.)
Well, in the comics I think he's fought WW to a standstill before. Remember, this guy is swimming in pressures that would crush the most advanced submarine, physically he's really tough and strong. Not counting goofy superfriends era stuff, he's not just a lame guy who talks to fish, he's easily as strong as Wonder Woman. His design was weirdly buff looking in Flashpoint, but the idea that he's extremely physically powerful, even on land, was not a new idea, even before Flashpoint/the New 52.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 11:18 PM   #45
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Justice League FLashpoint at comicon (+video clip)

Namor is a weird mutant who is supercharged by sea water. Arthur has seeming superstrength on land because he's not constantly resisting against a billion tons of waterpressure.

Aquaman is always the same strength level, but with less resistance on the surface, he's able to effect more impressive feats with that strength more so than merely NOT quickly transforming into a tiny marble of flesh and bone.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.