The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 26 2013, 02:23 AM   #196
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

Yeah, "Vanishing Point" disappointed me on several levels, and I'll get to it later. I sort of like the idea of using a screenshot like I did for "The Communicator". There's an outtake from "Vanishing Point" I might use.
Old July 30 2013, 05:32 AM   #197
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

2:09 - Singularity

TV Blurb: Archer gets writer's block, Hoshi gets cooking, Malcolm gets alarmed, Trip builds a comfy chair, and T'Pol's fears of humans being irrational creatures is confirmed. Written by Chris Black. Directed by Patrick Norris.

The story is told mostly through flashback, and if you've been reading along so far, you know that I think flashbacks are an overused device on Enterprise. I don't see why this story couldn't have been told in "the present", and the shifts in tense seem an unnecessary distraction.

There's not much of a plot really. Enterprise is caught in a radiation field that causes the crew to obsess over trivialities rather than their assigned duties. T'Pol has to save the day and everyone aboard.

Most of the characters are given something to concentrate on other than their actual work-- Archer has to write the preface to a biography on his father, Trip tries to build the biggest, bestest, Captain's Chair ever, Malcolm has a whole list of changes he wants made to ship security, Hoshi tries to perfect an old family recipe, and Phlox decides that Travis' headache is the key to something even more serious. The Phlox scenes are good, with the horror of how dispassionate Phlox can be amidst the lighthearted tone of the situation. John Billingsley again shows why he is so good at being Phlox, who is presented here as a dangerous menace. If anyone isn't really served by the episode's premise, it's poor Travis again. For a good part of the episode he's unconscious on a bed thanks to Phlox's shenanigans.

I didn't find it boring, but it certainly felt like a reworking of scenes we'd probably seen before strung together as character vignettes. The ship in danger plot also felt like something we'd seen too many times before. This was essentially a "bottle show" filmed entirely on the standard sets, and a few visual effects shots of the radiation cloud.

Remarkable line: "If this were a military situation, you'd be taken out and shot!" (Malcolm to Trip, and then a fight breaks out)

Next: "Vanishing Point"
Old July 30 2013, 07:01 AM   #198
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

The only worthwhile thing about "Singularity" is that it was the genesis of the tactical alert. Or, if you prefer, the Reed alert.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:03 AM   #199
R. Star
Rear Admiral

As lame and campy as it was, I liked the concept of Reed alert. The episode was silly and fun to watch, even if it was all over the place. But I guess that was the point.
Old July 30 2013, 07:27 PM   #200
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

2:10 - Vanishing Point

TV Blurb: Resident phobiamaniac Hoshi reluctantly uses the transporter for the first time, and fears something went wrong. Written by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga. Directed by David Straiton.

This starts out promisingly enough, but I have to question Trip's decision to beam aboard first to reassure Hoshi. He's in charge of the landing party, and he should have just told her "Hey, enough of your attitude Ensign! Beam up. That's an order!" But if he'd done that, it might have been a shorter episode.

Unfortunately, the episode uses one of the oldest plot devices in film history. It was even used in every one of Gerry Anderson's SuperMarionation puppet series. I don't want to give away the ending straight out, so I made a special image that anyone familiar with American films can recognize:

"And you, and you, and you, and you were there!"

But an outtake from the episode of Connor Trinneer clowning around on the gyroscope exercise machine says it best, as one picture is worth one thousand words:

Next: "Precious Cargo"
Old July 31 2013, 02:45 AM   #201
cylkoth
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
2:10 - Vanishing Point

"
So, Mr Trinneer, what do you think of the scripts for season two so far?
Old August 1 2013, 08:13 AM   #202
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

2:11 - Precious Cargo

TV Blurb: Trip meets a beautiful princess who is returning from a diplomatic mission, but they're captured and later steal an escape pod, only to land on a creepy swamp planet. No tiny old Jedi masters appear. Teleplay by David A. Goodman; Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga. Directed by David Livingston.

Part Shakespeare, part TNG: The Perfect Mate, part It Happened One Night. Two aliens ask for help repairing a passenger stasis pod on their cargo ship. Trip goes over to help and discovers the sleeping passenger is a beautiful woman. But the the stasis field fails and she wakes up. And Trip's situation goes downhill from there.

It's a bit of an old fashioned screwball romantic comedy, with some nice touches. Connor Trinneer and guest star Padma Lakshmi work well together and are an attractive couple. There's also a funny scene where Archer, T'Pol, and Reed try to get information from one of the aliens by staging a mock inquisition.

I liked the episode well enough. It's nothing earth shattering, but just a pleasant little trifle. Director David Livingston does give us a few takes featuring Lakshmi's physical attributes, for which I'm sure others besides me were grateful.

Though I wondered what it would have been like if they hadn't used Trip as the featured character. What if it had been Malcolm? Spit and polish Malcolm, who never has much luck with women, finding himself squeezed into a one-person escape pod with a equally pretentious woman he can't get along with. Old doom and gloom Malcolm. Malcolm with the stiff upper lip. The setup would have had to be different, since he's no engineer.

A few years ago, cookbook author Padma Lakshmi ate a hamburger for a Carls Jr commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQDit9-z1Xw

Next: "The Catwalk"
Old August 2 2013, 07:54 AM   #203
teacock
Admiral

Would Malcolm have scored?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 08:21 AM   #204
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Malcolm's a gentleman in the end, I'd think. So he'd pamper and be respectful to the uppity princess and she'd never notice him.
Old August 2 2013, 08:54 AM   #205
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I think you're right, R. Star. My own answer to the question (immediately after I wrote it) is I think Malcolm would be so caught up in his military romanticism, he'd obey her every order.
Old August 3 2013, 11:00 PM   #206
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

2:12 - The Catwalk

TV Blurb: The crew takes shelter from a dangerous storm by moving everyone into one of the nacelles. But then aliens invade the ship! Written by Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong. Directed by Mike Vejar.

I really liked this episode for the character relationship moments, but disliked the aliens taking over the ship subplot. I think the story might have been more effective had it concentrated on the relationships of the crew while battling the storm, not just waiting it out.

There are many scenes I liked: Archer catching T'Pol in a misstatement, Malcolm bitching about the food although he's known for eating whatever's in front of him, and Travis gets some things to do besides sit and pilot the ship with his mouth shut.

This episode introduces the idea of an alternate piloting station, which apparently develops into TOS' auxiliary control room and evolves into TNG's battle bridge.

Season's outtakes include Connor Trinneer trying very hard not to laugh when Scott Bakula stumbles over a line.

Next: "Dawn"
Old August 4 2013, 12:39 AM   #207
BruntFCA
Commander

Yeah there are a number of ENT & VOY episodes that would have benefited from not feeling the need to wedge an "Action" plot into them and Catwalk is definitely one of them.
Old August 4 2013, 12:40 AM   #208
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
2:12 - The Catwalk

TV Blurb: The crew takes shelter from a dangerous storm by moving everyone into one of the nacelles. But then aliens invade the ship! Written by Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong. Directed by Mike Vejar.

I really liked this episode for the character relationship moments, but disliked the aliens taking over the ship subplot. I think the story might have been more effective had it concentrated on the relationships of the crew while battling the storm, not just waiting it out.
I agree, the alien invasion plot was by far the weakest aspect of this episode. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it. I think that if "The Catwalk" had been made during the first season, when there were a lot more episodes focused on exploration and the crew encountering strangeness in the galaxy, then the episode probably would have focused more on the crew battling the storm, instead. But most of Season Two's episodes seemed to tack on extraneous action subplots, usually to their detriment.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 06:00 PM   #209
rabid bat
Commodore

View rabid bat's Twitter Profile

Agreed - the interpersonal stuff is great - and even having unfamiliar aliens on board (and they have a barbecue in there) works. But then it turns into let's race against time, etc. and that feels forced and misplaced.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
rabid bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:57 AM   #210
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

2:13 - Dawn

TV Blurb: Trip gets stranded on a deserted planet with someone again, only this time it's an alien who wants to kill him. Written by John Shiban. Directed by Roxann Dawson.

If I said everything I wanted to say about the story's similarities to the film "Enemy Mine", it would take up half this entry. But Google indicates there has been plenty about that said already, so I'll save everybody the bother.

Good performances by Connor Trinneer and Gregg Henry. Henry is another actor whose work I first noticed in 1984 (Body Double), so I'm always pleased to see his name in credits. Unfortunately the script is pretty clunky. Trinneer gets lots of awful monologues and Henry gets lots of unintelligible grunts. Something happens in the final moments though, that makes me think Zho'Kaan understood more than he was letting on.

I thought Roxann Dawson's direction of the action scenes was well done, but I sensed a repetiveness in all the other scenes. If characters were just together talking, there seemed to be a lot of back and forth cutting. Not too many scenes with both lead characters together in frame.

There's finally a valid reason for Trip to take his shirt off without it feeling like a gratuitous skin shot.

At least no one said, "Your Mickey Mouse is one big stupid dope!"

Next: "Stigma"

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; August 5 2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: three G's in Gregg!
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote