RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 462
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 29 2013, 11:35 PM   #766
talfe'anhar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I'm just not having any luck here! I got this error message:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2008/01/st08construction1.jpeg on this server.
talfe'anhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 11:40 PM   #767
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Fixed! http://graphic-engine.swarthmore.edu...nstruction.jpg
Old July 29 2013, 11:45 PM   #768
talfe'anhar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks. I can't make out any people, but that is a bad-ass picture!
Old July 30 2013, 12:15 AM   #769
publiusr
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post

For me, the Enterprise is a vehicle of the imagination. It takes my heroes where they need to go. So it being 500 feet, a 1000 feet or 2000 feet really doesn't matter to me.
Well said. I always thought of the ship as city sized. I loved the big TAS hangerbay--making the TAS ship as big as JJs anyway.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 10:34 AM   #770
Gonzo
Lieutenant

talfe'anhar wrote: View Post
Take a look at the main viewscreen/window (not the outer cladding, the darker area within that if you look closely) at the bottom of the central dome of the saucer, that is about 8ft high which should give you some idea of how big the NuEnterprise is.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 05:29 PM   #771
gerbil
Captain

Gonzo wrote: View Post
Take a look at the main viewscreen/window (not the outer cladding, the darker area within that if you look closely) at the bottom of the central dome of the saucer, that is about 8ft high which should give you some idea of how big the NuEnterprise is.
That suffers from "two model syndrome." There are 2 versions of the model for the bridge detail. The window on that version is too short to match the actually viewscreen window on set. There's a second version of the bridge that matches the dimensions properly.
"Life should be revered simply for the fact that we need to be thankful that we are currently able to consciously appreciate what we are going through right now. ... This moment that we're having right now is highly significant." -Maynard James Keenan
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 06:07 PM   #772
Gonzo
Lieutenant

gerbil wrote: View Post
Gonzo wrote: View Post
That suffers from "two model syndrome." There are 2 versions of the model for the bridge detail. The window on that version is too short to match the actually viewscreen window on set. There's a second version of the bridge that matches the dimensions properly.
Yeah I know Gerbil, it was just to give an example of scale to talfe'anhar above me, wasn't trying to be exact and as we know that picture was from the trailer for the first film and the design has changed since then.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 09:11 PM   #773
talfe'anhar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Gonzo! Gerbil, I'm not interested in exact specs. I just wanted a reference to the ship in relation to the people who live and work inside it. I write fan fiction and that reference could come in handy at some point. :-)
Old July 30 2013, 11:16 PM   #774
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Thanks Gonzo! Gerbil, I'm not interested in exact specs. I just wanted a reference to the ship in relation to the people who live and work inside it. I write fan fiction and that reference could come in handy at some point. :-)
I don't think any definitive JJ-prise/nuEnterprise reference exists yet, or at least not outside the offices of Bad Robot and/or ILM, where us regular folks can see. There have been a couple of other threads here in which the subject was wrangled over at some length. (Slogging through those isn't for the faint of heart, though. Suffice it to say that there are some who remain unconvinced about this, that, or the other.)
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:34 AM   #775
James

I'm not new here but I haven't used this before today. Am I going to get flamed for disagreeing with the 725 meter length?
Old August 1 2013, 04:01 AM   #776
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

No, but we will expect definitive proof that trumps everything we've said.
Old August 1 2013, 04:31 AM   #777
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

James wrote: View Post
I'm not new here but I haven't used this before today. Am I going to get flamed for disagreeing with the 725 meter length?
No one should flame anyone here, for any reason, but explaining your reasons for disagreeing with the 725-meter length probably wouldn't be a bad thing for your next step.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:10 AM   #778
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
No one should flame anyone here, for any reason, but explaining your reasons for disagreeing with the 725-meter length probably wouldn't be a bad thing for your next step.
What do you mean we can't flam...uh, yeah, what the moderator said.

SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:47 PM   #779
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Do you disagree with the idea of it being 725m, or do you think we actually saw on screen was smaller?
Old August 1 2013, 09:03 PM   #780
James

I think we saw it to be smaller than 725 meters. I don't know what you mean by the idea if being 725 meters. I'll state a couple of examples, the escape ejection scene, the nibiru scene, the shuttle entering Enterprise landing bay in STID and the vengeance crash scene. I'll focus on the two STID scenes, we see the shuttle entering the shuttlebay and it's right there next to the opening structure of the bay, shadows and all. The ship looks a lot smaller than 725 there, the Vengeance crash also shows a Vegeance that's clearly not almost a mile long. Alcatraz is approximately 1 mile away from the waterfront and the Vengeance easily fits into that gap with ample room when it hits the water. Like Daniel's sig, that doesn't show everything but that's the scene I'm talking about