Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 29 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

[Spoiler] designing the Vengeance

I'm not entirely sold on why precisely Marcus and Section 31 needed Khan to design the Vengeance. They must have experienced starship builders already on hand. Anyway, what are the chances that Khan, a twentieth century man, could come up with something like that in the short time since Vulcan's destruction and his awakening?

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 29 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:08 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: [Spoiler] designing the Vengeance

The Dreadnaught-class was likely already under construction, Khan likely was someone who just put the cherry on top.

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 29 2013 at 06:32 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Mage
Commodore

He's a geneticly engineered superhuman. I mean, Khan in TOS was able to take over and learn to use a starship pretty darned quickly. So why not be able to learn about starship systems and then enhance them?
Old July 29 2013, 06:24 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I suspect Khan took an unbuilt warship concept and improved upon it, rather than designing it from the ground-up. Marcus was planning his war with the Klingons for years, Vulcan's destruction gave him the excuse he needed and Khan was a big bonus help from "an uncivilized time"
Old July 29 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I suspect Khan took an unbuilt warship concept and improved upon it, rather than designing it from the ground-up. Marcus was planning his war with the Klingons for years, Vulcan's destruction gave him the excuse he needed and Khan was a big bonus help from "an uncivilized time"
The Enterprise looked to be half-way done when Kirk entered the Academy and was only launching three years later. I doubt that they could have built a ship twice the size in less than a year.
Old July 29 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Perhaps, being high priority, they just put 10x as many workers on it? But you're right, Vengeance being already under construction and given a few extra bells and whistles by Khan (like the ability to be flown by just one man... I'm sure nobody at S31 HQ thought that suspicious!) after he was thawed does make more sense.
Old July 29 2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Exactly, Vengeance was already underway, Marcus wanted an uncivilised view of warfare, weaponry, tactics and ideas to basically put every under handed advantage possibly into his ship and think of every contingency should it be needed.

Proofing, not building. And I suspect had Khan not escaped, Marcus would have found another way to incite war, and simply dispose of Khan and his men immediately after.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 07:32 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'm sure some of us today could take any existing starship design and think of ways to make it a truly scary battleship.
Old July 29 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Timo
Admiral

Yeah. All we need is an existing starship design now!

Khan may well have exaggerated his role in the creation or interior decoration of the Vengeance. He'd be just the type, after all. Probably Marcus employed a dream team of psychopaths, with Khan just one of the loonier ones; if Khan really were a unique asset to Marcus, he'd probably be under closer watch and unable to effect his escape.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Noddy
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Enterprise looked to be half-way done when Kirk entered the Academy and was only launching three years later. I doubt that they could have built a ship twice the size in less than a year.
^This.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:47 AM   #11
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I'm sure if they BUILT IT IN SPACE they could have put together something very big very quickly.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post

I'm sure if they BUILT IT IN SPACE they could have put together something very big very quickly.
Why would building in space be any quicker? You still have to fabricate the parts and assemble the ship.
Old July 30 2013, 01:07 AM   #13
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Wow, that's an argument I haven't heard in a while.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:28 AM   #14
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Why would building in space be any quicker? You still have to fabricate the parts and assemble the ship.
Assembly in zero-gee by veterans would be like a hardware ballet. Once you get gravity out of the way and have people who understand inertia and mass, handling construction would be like shuffling cards.

They've already done limited fabrication in space because you can form things in zero-gee that are harder to do down here. Presumably that would be beneficial for starships too. Not EVEN gonna get into the whole business of antimatter planetside and warp engines within a gravity well, especially with Orci's weird claim that you'd need a gravity well to calibrate the engines.

Honestly, the whole built-on-Earth thing has always made me feel like I'm living among Flat-Earthers, or with people who think a light-year is a conventional measurement of time rather than distance. If there's anything that bugs me more than religious fundamentalist zealots, politicians and repeat felons (and yeah, all three of those go together handily enough some of the time), it is flat-Earthers. (Velikovsky folks probably fit in there somewhere as well.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:33 AM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

Honestly, the whole built-on-Earth thing has always made me feel like I'm living among Flat-Earthers, or with people who think a light-year is a conventional measurement of time rather than distance. If there's anything that bugs me more than religious fundamentalist zealots, politicians and repeat felons (and yeah, all three of those go together handily enough some of the time), it is flat-Earthers. (Zelikovsky folks probably fit in there somewhere as well.)
You do understand it's a movie?

You may have a "ballet" during construction, but it's still going to take a good, long time to fabricate parts for a 1,400 meter ship.