TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate The Wolverine
Excellent 17 20.99%
Above Average 37 45.68%
Average 25 30.86%
Below Average 2 2.47%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28 2013, 05:41 AM   #61
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

My only real gripe is the lack of Ninja fight. I suspect it's because it would have been hard to edit to a PG 13 rating.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:57 PM   #62
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
My only real gripe is the lack of Ninja fight. I suspect it's because it would have been hard to edit to a PG 13 rating.
I dunno, they had Logan stab Shingen through the neck and hung Lady Viper with an elevator lift cable. It seems like they could've filmed it as bloodlessly as possible and stuck it in the movie unless they were worried it would make the movie too long.
Old July 28 2013, 03:44 PM   #63
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

My overly cynical side makes me speculate that maybe the studio forced Mangold to take it out so that they could boost sales of the unrated DVD/Blu-ray. But I hope not.

I don't think it would have really needed to be any more "R" than the rest of the film.
Old July 28 2013, 08:58 PM   #64
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

The MPAA is so hypocritical about the line between PG-13 and R though. Fifteen years ago any sort of decapitation would get you an R; now they're fine for PG-13. Same for scenes showing people getting shot in the head. Titanic's frontal-boobs scene with Kate Winslet would've been R in any universe, and it would be today, but James Cameron is special and can achieve whatever rating he wants....yet two brief shots of George Clooney's butt meant that Solaris was originally rated R, but had to be appealed to PG-13.

And how many people get killed/maimed in the average PG-13 disaster movie? Is it just the presence of blood that merits an R? Or is it just the ratings boards' mood on the day that they screen it?
sttngfan1701d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:14 PM   #65
Harvey
Admiral

From the seven year old, but still relevant documentary, This Film is Not Yet Rated, it is clear that the MPAA doesn't have any consistent set of ratings guidelines.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:06 PM   #66
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Copious amounts of blood usually merits an R. That's why these superhero films are relatively bloodless. It's the same way in the video game realm - if your Star Wars game, for example, shows what appears to be dismemberment of limbs, but there's no blood, it gets a T rather than an M rating.
Old July 28 2013, 10:33 PM   #67
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

The warped moral values the MPAA has been imposing on society for years can only be the result of a true sociopath's mind.

Being nude is worse than shooting someone in the head? Is this really a message which should be taught to children?

(Ah, and as for the movie: I voted "Average".)
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 12:49 AM   #68
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. For me at least, it had the right level of action and angst. The casting was impeccable and I absolutely loved the cameos by returning actors. This was a far superior movie to the last wolverine movie. I felt that Jean was given a little more of the respect she should have been afforded in X3. I'm very happy for this one to sit in my collection.

Minor gripes are that I didn't really see the need to try and jazz up the Viper or the need for boy on boy / girl on girl action. I also didn't really see the need for Mariko to have any kind of combat skill at all but it wasn't overdone so I could live with it. I did miss Yukio throwing her knives though and while the actress looked fabulous I wanted Yukio to be just that little bit more daring - just a bit crazier.

Famke made it all worthwhile.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 07:46 AM   #69
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The amount of screen time Jean has was very pleasant surprise. Unlike most people I did not hate The Last Stand. But it was very frustrating. It seemed we would never see any of those actors, outside of Jackman play their parts again. Now with this and Days of Future Past we are seeing most of them back.

The big exception is Cyclops. I hope there is a surprise reveal at the end of the new movie of a cameo by James Marsden alive.
Old July 29 2013, 04:05 PM   #70
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
We even get a Kayla shout-out.
Where? I know a spot where they could've added her in.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Meh. I'll take a character piece over something like The Avengers any day of the week.
Except, well The Avengers had plenty of character moments for many characters.
Sooooo.....
Yeah. Right. That movie was about as deep as a Kleenex box. Man of Steel had a little depth to it; The Avengers was all action and 'splosions and little comedic moments. Little "moments" between characters doesn't mean that characters are actually explored.
You said character piece. I see you are either adding to your definition of that or are moving the goal posts. Possibly just didn't get the depth added to much of the characters in The Avengers. Black Widow alone is more fully explored. Great character moments for Banner as well. If all you saw were 'spolsions I submit you didn't see the same movie everyone else did.

Your 'splosions fest was Man of Steel, depth there was kiddie wadding pool compared to what was in The Avengers. The Wolverine is a stronger whole film than MoS, whose first hour was awesome but quickly deteriorates into an orgy of destruction, whereas The Wolverine does not. It stays focused on letting the characters instead of carnage.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:10 PM   #71
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Here's my full review.

I enjoyed it. I thought the first 2 acts dragged a little bit but I really enjoyed the last act, I think once he got his healing factor back the film felt a lot more fast-paced.

I thought at first some dialogue seemed to imply that his healing factor had been completely taken away, which made me think 'why isn't he suffering from adamantium poisoning' but I suppose it was just weakened.

The bit where he lost his claws made me gasp. I hope he gets adamantium back, bone claws won't do much against sentinels.

The extra scene was great, I had been spoiled about Prof X but not Magneto, so that was a pleasant surprise. I really liked the fact that it still tied in with the other films but it didn't feel dominated by them, like XMOW seemed to be dominated by trying to fit in everything, whereas this was a lot more intimate.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:22 PM   #72
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

No one has committed on the 2 year gap between the main story and last scene. Its possible he already has had the Adamantium on his claws replaced. But more importantly they likely did that for possible Wolverine standalone films in that gap. It seemed to be setting that up with Yukio leaving with Logan.
Old July 29 2013, 04:33 PM   #73
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
No one has committed on the 2 year gap between the main story and last scene. Its possible he already has had the Adamantium on his claws replaced.
He still had bone claws in the bonus scene.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:55 PM   #74
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I thought it was pretty good for a standalone movie. It was definitely better than Wolverine Origins. I enjoyed the first 2 acts, but it fell apart in the third act for me. Although, the final reveal turned out to be very cliche. I am also confused on how
I also think they could have used a better villain, than Viper. Speaking of Viper, were those ninjas apart of The Hand? Or just standard ninjas serving Yashida.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:13 PM   #75
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The end credits he still has bone claws, so for 2yrs he's had bone claws and not sought to get adamantium back on them.

I feel the pacing of the whole movie is great.
I personally would've liked some nod to Origins. I get the internet hates it and I admit it's flawed but I've seen worse movies and think it's overly hated. Perhaps having Kayla in one of the dream moments. That way it kinda becomes a "women Logan's loved" type thing. Maybe the Kayla dream could even warn Logan not to love this girl(Mariko), bad things happen to women you truly care for.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote