Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 26 2013, 05:40 PM   #76
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

Yeah, equating them to the Taliban is a bit harsh (I think). I know there would obviously be those who disagree, and that's fine. I don't really care, cause I'm not a TP'er.

The thing that irritates me most about the Tea Party, is that they've co-opted some libertarian positions and wrapped them up into a hard-core religious conservative wrapper. Many people now equate TP's with libertarians (due largely because of Rand Paul's vacillating messages) and it's become frustrating trying to elaborate the differences. Yes there are some similarities admittedly, but they are not interchangeable, and libertarians (with both a big and little "L") have been around a LOT longer than the TP Johnny-come-lately's.
Old July 27 2013, 07:18 AM   #77
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I hate to say this, but the season's not feeling as good as the first one did. Granted, season two is only now getting underway, but... I don't know, it just doesn't feel as well assembled as the first one. I've been debating on keeping or dropping HBO anyway, and The Newsroom was the largest reason for me to keep it, but so far, I'm just not really warming to this season. I figure I can give it one or two more episodes, and if I'm not on board, I'll likely let it go.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:07 AM   #78
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Last season was 7 or 8 mostly bottled stories with some linkage... Every episode, almost every episode, there's a couple 2 parters, started, raised and then had a money shot... But this year it's one huge story, we're leading to a massive payoff down the line, which Aaron totally spoiled on the Daily Show, which if I was well informed I would have recognized anyway without spoilers and coaching, which means that some episodes are just for ramping the tension, preparing for a supermoneyshot come episode 7 and then aftermath and consequences spiralling from there.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:32 PM   #79
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Judging by the episodes we've seen this season, Sorkin seems to have over-corrected in response to much of the criticism that was lobbed at him after the first season.

Gone are much of the silly, rom-com moments that critics cited as shallow characterization for the female cast members. Now all the people in the newsroom are shown to be ultra-capable at their jobs, at all times. Flawed characters may send the wrong message to the audience.

Also missing is much of the reverence that was foisted upon journalists and the journalism profession in the previous season because some felt that the show was too self-important. I may be biased but I feel journalists ARE important and they serve an important function in our society. The debates about news-worthiness in the first season were some of my favorite scenes from the show.

The dialogue, the storylines -- they seem very self-conscious and safe this season, like someone came in and filed all the corners and edges down. Much of the crackle is absent in scenes (the deposition scenes in the future being the sole exceptions). Maybe they are building toward a rich payoff in the end.

Sorkin has a distinct voice and POV to his writing; it's why I watched West Wing, Sports Night, even Studio 60. It's definitely why I continue to watch the Newsroom. Here's hoping Sorkin comes back with a vengeance in future episodes, pulls no punches, and goes for broke. Enough self-editing and handling the show with kid gloves. I want him to just ignore all the critics and make the show he wants to make.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 09:35 PM   #80
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Judging by the episodes we've seen this season, Sorkin seems to have over-corrected in response to much of the criticism that was lobbed at him after the first season.

Gone are much of the silly, rom-com moments that critics cited as shallow characterization for the female cast members. Now all the people in the newsroom are shown to be ultra-capable at their jobs, at all times. Flawed characters may send the wrong message to the audience.

Also missing is much of the reverence that was foisted upon journalists and the journalism profession in the previous season because some felt that the show was too self-important. I may be biased but I feel journalists ARE important and they serve an important function in our society. The debates about news-worthiness in the first season were some of my favorite scenes from the show.

The dialogue, the storylines -- they seem very self-conscious and safe this season, like someone came in and filed all the corners and edges down. Much of the crackle is absent in scenes (the deposition scenes in the future being the sole exceptions). Maybe they are building toward a rich payoff in the end.

Sorkin has a distinct voice and POV to his writing; it's why I watched West Wing, Sports Night, even Studio 60. It's definitely why I continue to watch the Newsroom. Here's hoping Sorkin comes back with a vengeance in future episodes, pulls no punches, and goes for broke. Enough self-editing and handling the show with kid gloves. I want him to just ignore all the critics and make the show he wants to make.
That may be why it feels so different.
Also, I really don't like the new intro.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:57 PM   #81
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I don't know. I think this season will be dealing more with the characters and their relations to each other while the first season set up Newsnight as a show and its guiding principles and goals. This is also reflected by the intro which is set in the here and now as opposed to the original one with its reverence for the "good old days" of TV news.

So far, I really like what I'm seeing and I feel it's a natural development that we're seeing more of the characters. Besides, calling the Tea Party the American Taliban would have some consequences that need to be addressed on the show. The love pentaeder of doom was also going to result in some serious fall-out sooner or later, though I'm surprised that happened so quickly. We'll be seeing some real news dealt with in retrospect soon enough and I'm looking forward to that, especially the drone war and the Occupy movement.

I found myself chuckling a couple of times during the two episodes that have aired so far so I can't say that I think the show is less funny than last season. The scene where Will is annoying the lawyers had me in stitches.

I love the interaction between Will and Mac this season, especially the bar scenes. Sloan is kicking ass, too. The story with her and Maggie trying to get that YouTube video taken down was really cool.
Old July 27 2013, 11:00 PM   #82
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I love the interaction between Will and Mac this season, especially the bar scenes. Sloan is kicking ass, too. The story with her and Maggie trying to get that YouTube video taken down was really cool.
I agree with all of this except the last part. It would have been cool if it was on a show like Friends. On The Newsroom, it feels completely out of place and unnecessary.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by The Scrooge Doctor; July 27 2013 at 11:38 PM.
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:31 PM   #83
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I thought that the inclusion of the 4square thing drove home the point about how much we might (accidentally) reveal about ourselves online and that the scene also showed how people who've never met can be connected through the net even though it was about something else.
Old July 28 2013, 01:27 PM   #84
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

As one of the biggest critics of the first season on this site, it's probably not surprising that I disagree. I feel that season 2 has been a marked improvement thus far. There's still some rough edges, such as the laundromat scene and that footage of Will on September 11th, but on the whole the writing is on firmer ground. Admittedly, the actual plots of the first two episodes haven't been anything special, but that's the result of attempting a season-long storyline rather than the more self-contained stories of season 1.

Now all the people in the newsroom are shown to be ultra-capable at their jobs, at all times. Flawed characters may send the wrong message to the audience.
Firstly, the claim that the cast is now ultra-capable at their jobs is plainly not true. Maggie screwed up the DSK thing, Jim effectively took a demotion because of his personal life, Don almost abused his position to lynch a guy, while Will has been censoring himself because of a crisis of confidence. The difference this season is that the characters are now portrayed as being mostly capable at their jobs, whereas in the first season they were portrayed as being a troupe of clowns that somehow hobbled together a news show every night.
Old July 28 2013, 04:51 PM   #85
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I miss the goofiness of season 1. It had a fun feel to it of the characters acting crazy. I'm not looking for something to be completely realistic, that be boring, I want something fun and silly mixed in with the seriousness and this season is missing that or it's just badly done.
Old July 29 2013, 04:30 AM   #86
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

The return of the Mission to Civilize and the first great episode of the season.

Tonight's episode of the Newsroom was a wonderful return to form. No more subdued Will, Mac or Jim. These three had fire in their bellies. Jim pressing the questions on the bus, Mac curious about the voice mail and making the first tentative steps toward Genoa, and Will -- from the opening editorial, to his parley with Nina Howard, even the unsheathing of the "devastating" blackmail recording ("dumb-ass!") -- was back in fighting shape.

Even Sloan, Don, and Dev Patel's character had their moments to shine. Maggie's drug zaniness may have worn a little thin but was easy enough to overlook with all of the surrounding quality.

It's good to have Aaron Sorkin hitting his stride again and I, for one, cannot wait for next week's show.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:10 AM   #87
Data Holmes
Admiral

The return of the Mission to Civilize and the first great episode of the season.

Tonight's episode of the Newsroom was a wonderful return to form. No more subdued Will, Mac or Jim. These three had fire in their bellies. Jim pressing the questions on the bus, Mac curious about the voice mail and making the first tentative steps toward Genoa, and Will -- from the opening editorial, to his parley with Nina Howard, even the unsheathing of the "devastating" blackmail recording ("dumb-ass!") -- was back in fighting shape.

Even Sloan, Don, and Dev Patel's character had their moments to shine. Maggie's drug zaniness may have worn a little thin but was easy enough to overlook with all of the surrounding quality.

It's good to have Aaron Sorkin hitting his stride again and I, for one, cannot wait for next week's show.
Olivia Munn is really getting some time to shine, and show that she isn't as bad an actress as a lot of people wrote her off as. I loved the ball peen hammer line. I think the Don bit with the chair was great. Sam Waterston looks like he is having a ton of fun playing Charlie Skinner.

Am I the only one who thinks that it might be Lansing who is setting them up with Genoa?
Old July 29 2013, 02:41 PM   #88
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ If she is, then that, coupled with the whole TMI thing against Will, makes her an extraordinarily irresponsible and self-destructive chief executive - way too willing to be an active participant in allowing one of the prime segments of her company to be crushed under the weight of political skullduggery. Although if things do go horrendously sideways, I'm sure she'll not hesitate to throw her preening little sycophantic demon spawn (Reese) under the bus to save her own crusty ass.
Old July 29 2013, 06:00 PM   #89
Data Holmes
Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ If she is, then that, coupled with the whole TMI thing against Will, makes her an extraordinarily irresponsible and self-destructive chief executive - way too willing to be an active participant in allowing one of the prime segments of her company to be crushed under the weight of political skullduggery. Although if things do go horrendously sideways, I'm sure she'll not hesitate to throw her preening little sycophantic demon spawn (Reese) under the bus to save her own crusty ass.
I actually meant the son, not the mother. She is a business woman for sure but she still has a moral base, her son on the other hand has totally lost his moral compass and felt personally affronted by newsnite 2.0.
Old July 29 2013, 06:12 PM   #90
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ah, yes...I agree - there's also the phone hacking thing that he's involved in, too.

But she still is in-the-know on the TMI personal attacks on Will's character to keep him in check (did she even say she ordered that?) - I do honestly wonder how much dirt she is aware of and has given either tacit or explicit approval to execute.

Or is this strictly about some guy with mommy issues who wants to prove to the world that he can run a company and be just as ruthless and shrude as she is - proving that he is a worthy heir apparent to the family jewels?