Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2013, 01:35 AM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Finding goofs in your tv shows...

Forbin wrote: View Post
In the final space battle in ST:VI, we see the Enterprise on Chang's viewscreen, and we're clearly looking down on the ship from above. Chang order's "FIRE", and the torpedo hits the Enterprise from below.
Speaking about TUC or rather VOY "Flashaback" Dimitri is alive in one dead in the other. As goofs go it's a big one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:18 AM   #47
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
In the final space battle in ST:VI, we see the Enterprise on Chang's viewscreen, and we're clearly looking down on the ship from above. Chang order's "FIRE", and the torpedo hits the Enterprise from below.
Speaking about TUC or rather VOY "Flashaback" Dimitri is alive in one dead in the other. As goofs go it's a big one.
Crewman Leslie did that in the 1960s.
Old July 29 2013, 05:17 AM   #48
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

I see so many goofs I wouldn't know where to start.

One of my pet peeves is when they use the wrong animals. Like someone snares a "wild" rabbit, and it's white, or when they use a husky for a wolf, etc.

One movie I watched recently (can't remember which), showed geese walking near the foreground and quacking loudly like ducks instead of honking like geese!

Tons of other examples- Indian elephants in Africa.... I better stop, I could keep going all night.
Old July 29 2013, 05:25 AM   #49
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Data's Cat wrote: View Post
I see so many goofs I wouldn't know where to start.

One of my pet peeves is when they use the wrong animals. Like someone snares a "wild" rabbit, and it's white, or when they use a husky for a wolf, etc.

One movie I watched recently (can't remember which), showed geese walking near the foreground and quacking loudly like ducks instead of honking like geese!

Tons of other examples- Indian elephants in Africa.... I better stop, I could keep going all night.
Not sure those are goofs. The filmmakers probably knew what they were doing. Budget and practicality were more likely why than sloppy or careless work. Except for the geese thing. A friend of mine is a birder and he was constantly pointing out avian errors in film.
Old July 29 2013, 06:55 AM   #50
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

They give us sounds we expect to hear. A fight never sounds like a fight in a film, for instance.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:18 PM   #51
Forbin
Admiral

Something that happens in a lot of films and TV: You see somebody pull a pistol or a shotgun, and rack the slide dramatically. Then shortly thereafter, they rack the slide AGAIN for dramatic effect. You loaded it the first time you racked the slide, dipshit. The second rack will eject the loaded round and load another. Congrats, you just wasted a cartridge.

Similarly, you'll see someone threaten the good guy with a pistol. The bad guy will monolog for a while. Maybe he's been chasing the good guy. Then once he's done talking and about to shoot, THEN he dramatically racks the slide on the gun. THAT MEANS IT WAS UNLOADED THE WHOLE TIME BEFORE!!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:45 PM   #52
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

Something that happens in a lot of films and TV: You see somebody pull a pistol or a shotgun, and rack the slide dramatically. Then shortly thereafter, they rack the slide AGAIN for dramatic effect. You loaded it the first time you racked the slide, dipshit. The second rack will eject the loaded round and load another. Congrats, you just wasted a cartridge.

Similarly, you'll see someone threaten the good guy with a pistol. The bad guy will monolog for a while. Maybe he's been chasing the good guy. Then once he's done talking and about to shoot, THEN he dramatically racks the slide on the gun. THAT MEANS IT WAS UNLOADED THE WHOLE TIME BEFORE!!
Speaking of guns, how about those old western shootouts with 6-guns that could shoot 20 rounds?
Old July 29 2013, 04:34 PM   #53
Beagleman
Captain

But couldn't the scenes in Flashback be interpreted as Tuvok's messed up memories?
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:00 PM   #54
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A friend of mine is a birder and he was constantly pointing out avian errors in film.
Having grown up in farming, and having done a considerable amount of research on the history of farming and the history of farm animal breeds, historical movies with farm settings drive me nuts! They use farm implements and breeds of farm animals/poultry that didn't exist during the time period that the movie represents.
Old July 29 2013, 07:44 PM   #55
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Beagleman wrote: View Post
But couldn't the scenes in Flashback be interpreted as Tuvok's messed up memories?
Indeed it could.

Or perhaps Valtane wasn't dead after all, and was revived in sickbay.
Old July 29 2013, 10:02 PM   #56
MacLeod
Admiral

Or more likely the writers hoped we wouldn't notice.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:31 PM   #57
Beagleman
Captain

Or more likely the writers hoped we wouldn't notice.
Obviously, or they didn't notice... but where's the fun in that?!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:48 PM   #58
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Tuvok's memory being unreliable...seems more likely.
Old July 30 2013, 01:33 AM   #59
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
They give us sounds we expect to hear. A fight never sounds like a fight in a film, for instance.
It's like in cartoons, every large winged animal always makes the same noise, be it a hawk, an eagle or a pterosaur.
Old July 30 2013, 04:55 AM   #60
propita
Rear Admiral

Try seeing a TV show or movie where they're mentioning meds...and having your spouse comment on it ("That guys has problems." "No one uses that anymore." "Those drugs interact badly. No one would prescribe both."). Ah, married to a pharmacist.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote