Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 26 2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Also, TWOK on blue ray has an ugly, blue look. I actually prefer the director's edition DVD
Yes unfortunately someone convinced Nick Meyer to sign off on the re-grading of the color into the popular steely blue/teal palette that pretty much all new movies use, it's really sickening...
What makes you think that anyone even asked Nick Meyer to approve these color "corrections"? I don't think he was involved with the BD transfer.
Old July 27 2013, 01:52 AM   #17
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Before we get to that, it's not just me seeing things, is it?
I'm going to compare both versions tonight, but if I recall correctly, the DVD version was a warm red/ maroon feel, while the blue ray has an ugly cyan look, particularly with the Reliant bridge and the planetoid Regula.
Old July 27 2013, 07:40 AM   #18
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Also, TWOK on blue ray has an ugly, blue look. I actually prefer the director's edition DVD
Yes unfortunately someone convinced Nick Meyer to sign off on the re-grading of the color into the popular steely blue/teal palette that pretty much all new movies use, it's really sickening...
What makes you think that anyone even asked Nick Meyer to approve these color "corrections"? I don't think he was involved with the BD transfer.
Paramount implies as much in the pre-announcement of the release in 2009. http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/16/cbs-...ming-aprilmay/

"Special care has been given to the Blu-ray version of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which has been ‘fully restored’ in a process similar to Paramount’s recent Blu-ray edition of The Godfather. Director Nicholas Meyer tells us that the Wrath of Khan negative “was in terrible shape” which is why it needed extensive restoration."

Which mind you I call BS on, it was in no way restored with any of the care of The Godfather.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; July 27 2013 at 08:29 AM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:46 AM   #19
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Before we get to that, it's not just me seeing things, is it?
I'm going to compare both versions tonight, but if I recall correctly, the DVD version was a warm red/ maroon feel, while the blue ray has an ugly cyan look, particularly with the Reliant bridge and the planetoid Regula.
Correct. The 2009 theatrical release (on Blu-ray and eventually DVD) was re-color graded. It was widely talked about when it was first released in 2009.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2460....html#Section3

Doing a search for "star trek the wrath of khan blu-ray blue tint" will result in a bunch of threads on A/V review sites and Amazon reviews pointing it out.

Here is a forum thread with screen shots from different versions of TWOK (satellite HD broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray) and you can clearly see the blue tone was introduced in 2009 (click on the spoiler tag to expand the images to larger size):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1146477/st...#post_16443616

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; July 27 2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old July 27 2013, 03:23 PM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html
That's not the case here, TWOK on blu ray is all over the place, it seems they didn't do any color grading at all.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:51 PM   #21
SpHeRe31459
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html
That's not the case here, TWOK on blu ray is all over the place, it seems they didn't do any color grading at all.

Not sure what you're referring to, but the steely blue tint is all over the movie.
Old July 27 2013, 10:12 PM   #22
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I really hate the steely, blue tint. Everything looks washed out. That film always had a warmer look to it. I don't know why they did that. I prefer the DVD to the blue-ray.
Old July 28 2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

There is an HD version of the TWOK DE on iTunes, which looks pretty good. Seems to be the same transfer that had been used for the DE DVD, only that it's HD.
Old July 28 2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Jeyl
Commodore

I really hate the steely, blue tint.
Here here.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

I don't care about the tint, but the problem with the TWOK transfer is that it's not consistent. In many shots, Regulus has a blue hue, but in a few others, the old red hue is still visible. In many respects, the restoration to the original negative was very well-done, but the color-grading change was a mistake.

Hopefully, if Paramount ever gets around to releasing the DE in HD, they'll fix the issue.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:51 AM   #26
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
There is an HD version of the TWOK DE on iTunes, which looks pretty good. Seems to be the same transfer that had been used for the DE DVD, only that it's HD.
Yep, aside from TWOK which got screwed around with by some idiot post engineer (blue tint), all of the Blu-ray releases seem to really just be the original scans of the film done back circa 2001-ish for the DEs (where were scanned at 1080p back then, which at the time was considered high resolution, since the final output was 480i DVD).

As an aside, time and again it's been shown that home video projects done in the late-90s and early-2000s do not hold up very well when distributed in their full HD resolution. The scans were done at exactly 1080p with early HD film scanners and the entire project was prepared with DVD in mind, not full resolution HD.

Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't care about the tint, but the problem with the TWOK transfer is that it's not consistent. In many shots, Regulus has a blue hue, but in a few others, the old red hue is still visible. In many respects, the restoration to the original negative was very well-done, but the color-grading change was a mistake.

Hopefully, if Paramount ever gets around to releasing the DE in HD, they'll fix the issue.
Yet another sign that Paramount could give a rats arse about the prime-universe Trek movies, they just quickly threw the same old transfers they had around for HD cable/satellite movie channels on to the Blu-ray release. Then to make it worse they appear to have let some stupid intern play around with color grading software for the TWOK release.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; July 29 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old July 29 2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Yet another sign that Paramount could give a rats arse about the prime-universe Trek movies, they just quickly threw the same old transfers they had around for HD cable/satellite movie channels on to the Blu-ray release.
I don't know, but TMP looks a lot better on BluRay than it did on HDTV.
Old July 29 2013, 02:24 PM   #28
22 Stars
Commodore

Just had to chime in, as the poster-child for this TWOK Blue hue from a while back:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=118964

Glad I'm not the only one being annoyed by it
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Richard Baker
Commander

The color shift reminds me of the horrible restoration job the Smithsonian did on the TOS Filming model on display- instead of making it true to the original somebody unfamiliar just imposed their personal, trendy aesthetics...
I was considering getting the Blu-Ray of TWoK and now I think I will just hold off until a better edition is released
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:34 PM   #30
Grant
Fleet Captain

I am so glad we finally, so far, have a consensus on the terrible color tint of TWOK Blu-ray!

Absolutely stunned there haven't been posts by the few crackpots who claim the 1982 thearical prints had that exact same blue tint.

That's right, there are a few who clain 'to remember' for sure it ALWAYS had that awful blue tint in 1982--including Regula!

Which of course would mean EVERY promotional still and clip and TV ad back in the day was wrong and that only the prints in 1982 were blue-while EVERYTHING else associated with the movie was wrong.

I even posted a picture of a 1983 calendar tie-in of TWOK that had Regula in it's full red-brown glory and was told that it was wrong and regula was always blue.

And a couple of these folks claim 'they recently saw' a vintage film print and Regula was blue--to which I say BS.

I've heard other people who recently saw a showing of an old print confirm Regula was always brown.

The lack of the Director's Cut and the cyan/blue altering of TWOK are why I have still not purchased TWOK on Blu-ray.

I dearly pray that we get a 2016 re-release with the Director's cuts, deleted scenes, 4k restorations of the other 5 TOS movies and PROPER color timing for TWOK.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote