IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 27 2013, 10:39 PM   #121
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Intrepid class VS a galaxy class, which was more powerful and adva

Since the mammoth Enterprise-D was destroyed by a teeny tiny Klingon Bird of Prey in two timelines ("Yesterday's Enterprise" and Star Trek Generations), and the USS Odyssey was destroyed by Jem'Hadar fighters, I'd say there's ample evidence that bigger isn't necessarily better in Trek's world.
Old July 28 2013, 12:14 AM   #122
USS Firefly
Commander

Well in "Yesterdays Enterprise" she was attacked by 3 BOP not one, who I believe were bigger then the one in Generations, and the Enterprise destroyed one of them.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 12:52 AM   #123
kgartm1185
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Since the mammoth Enterprise-D was destroyed by a teeny tiny Klingon Bird of Prey in two timelines ("Yesterday's Enterprise" and Star Trek Generations), and the USS Odyssey was destroyed by Jem'Hadar fighters, I'd say there's ample evidence that bigger isn't necessarily better in Trek's world.
In Star Trek Generations, the bird of prey could fire through the Enterprise's shields and the commander of the Enterprise was Riker at the time.
kgartm1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:26 AM   #124
F. King Daniel
Admiral

But on stats alone, even without shields the modern and mammoth E-D should have smashed through a century-old tiny shielded Bird of Prey. Dramatic license > technical statistics.
Old July 28 2013, 10:52 AM   #125
Takeru
Fleet Captain

kgartm1185 wrote: View Post
But larger ships tend to have better defences and more capabilities.
Doesn't matter, a runabout can take out a galaxy, all they need to do is fire a tachyon beam at the thing in the galaxy's computer core and the main systems shut down, it's not a very well known weakness but the runabout's co-pilot just happened to look at the top secret files on day when he was a junior jeffries tube scrubber at Utopia Planitia.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:24 PM   #126
kgartm1185
Lieutenant

Takeru wrote: View Post
kgartm1185 wrote: View Post
But larger ships tend to have better defences and more capabilities.
Doesn't matter, a runabout can take out a galaxy, all they need to do is fire a tachyon beam at the thing in the galaxy's computer core and the main systems shut down, it's not a very well known weakness but the runabout's co-pilot just happened to look at the top secret files on day when he was a junior jeffries tube scrubber at Utopia Planitia.
I thought tachyons just forced the ship to reset it's shield harmonics. (Star Trek Insurrection) And anyways, it would take a long time for a runabout to destroy a Galaxy class starship even without shields.
kgartm1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:31 PM   #127
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Not if it hits the plot device with the first shot.
Old July 28 2013, 09:32 PM   #128
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Yeah, that's sorta the awesome/horrible thing about Trek. Violence doesn't always save the day. But technobabble often does.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:49 PM   #129
R. Star
Rear Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's sorta the awesome/horrible thing about Trek. Violence doesn't always save the day. But technobabble often does.
I got the impression it was more, "You dirty Klingons -dare- to get through our shields and attack us with technobabble?! We -invented- technobabble. We'll show you how it's done!"
Old July 29 2013, 04:38 AM   #130
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Not sure why this interests me... But i just wanted to point out, this is all relative. Here are some of the facts that I remember:

* Galaxy Class was considered the most advanced as far as luxuries, size and armament.

* Intrepid class was considered FASTER but it is smaller.
(Galaxy class max warp is 9.3 .. Intrepid is 9.9 )

(and isnt the "faster" argument moot??? there is no gravity or inertia in space)

* Galaxy Class standard crew compliment is 900-1000 ... but can hold upto 4000 in a pinch (like doing an evacuation for example).
vs Intrepid compliment is 140-160 .

* Also being larger means galaxy class can hold more shuttles / torpedos / probes...

Personally, Id rather be in the Galaxy class. It was built for power.. intrepid was built for speed
Defiant Obrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:53 AM   #131
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's gravity in space.

(Sorry.)

Inertia too.

(I'm, so sorry.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:06 AM   #132
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I got the impression it was more, "You dirty Klingons -dare- to get through our shields and attack us with technobabble?! We -invented- technobabble. We'll show you how it's done!"
Yeah I hated how GEN basically gave the ENT-D the shaft. How much of the budget did they spend on those sfx for that short fight? The Kirk death reshoot cost $6 million dollars. You think they could flex a million to give the ENT-D a more heroic send off. At least make it 3 BOP firing through the shields or have them shoot a trilithum missle at the ENT that cripples it. Have the ENT-D win with guts and sacrifice not a stupid technobable hax win.

It's one of the reasons I like the ENT-E vs Scimtiar fight. Geordi and Data don't technobabble a way to drop the Scimitar cloak or shields to make the battle less one sided.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 07:15 AM   #133
TheSubCommander
Captain

OK, let's up the stakes:

All Good Things Enterprise-D, the 3-nacelle, cloaked, phaser cannon sporting monster

VS

Endgame Voyager, the Borg cube killing cocoon armored transwarp conduit destroyer

Fight!

Both are using Future tech from alternate timelines, at roughly the same amount of years into the future.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:06 AM   #134
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Not sure why this interests me... But i just wanted to point out, this is all relative. Here are some of the facts that I remember:

* Galaxy Class was considered the most advanced as far as luxuries, size and armament.

* Intrepid class was considered FASTER but it is smaller.
(Galaxy class max warp is 9.3 .. Intrepid is 9.9 )

(and isnt the "faster" argument moot??? there is no gravity or inertia in space)
Not at warp speed, which breaks physics, bends space and time and is kinda magical.
* Galaxy Class standard crew compliment is 900-1000 ... but can hold upto 4000 in a pinch (like doing an evacuation for example).
vs Intrepid compliment is 140-160 .

* Also being larger means galaxy class can hold more shuttles / torpedos / probes...
Please! Voyager launched with a compliment of 39 photon torpedoes and "no way to replace them after they're gone"... and used 93 before they got home
Old July 29 2013, 10:46 AM   #135
R. Star
Rear Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
OK, let's up the stakes:

All Good Things Enterprise-D, the 3-nacelle, cloaked, phaser cannon sporting monster

VS

Endgame Voyager, the Borg cube killing cocoon armored transwarp conduit destroyer

Fight!

Both are using Future tech from alternate timelines, at roughly the same amount of years into the future.
The alternate Enterprise-D. The thing had a BFG!!!! Not to mention Warp 13.