ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Voyager Ep Counterpoint (Season 5)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Defiant Obrien, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Defiant Obrien

Defiant Obrien Lieutenant

I just finished this episode with what i believe is kathryns first (and only) on-screen makeout session.... with the Devore Kashik

They are basically cardassians and Kashik is completely modeled after Gul Dukat.

What kills me about this episode is how weak the plot and storyline are... *Telepaths have to find a wormhole that skitters around, before they bad guys find out they are in their space*

1. What methods did all the previous fugitive telepaths use to find the wormhole before voyager came along?

2. Why did the Davore need to scan bulkheads and railings and basically a ton of shit telepaths could never hide in with their little tricorder things?

3. Would it not make sense to have some other "ghost" telepaths on your Strike team.. to find wayward telepaths??

4. How is it the Devore sensors cant detect ships that use their own refractive shield technology? It implies they cant find their own ships?

5. Not quite sure why Kashik (who knew about the telepaths in the transporter buffer in the first place) needed to go through the whole defection charade. Seems he could have confiscated the telepaths and the ship at any time (did he need help trying to find the unfindable wormhole that skitters around???)

6. In the closing scene, all the fugitive telepaths were on the shuttles EXCEPT tuvok (and i assume ensign vorek).. And they werent in the transporter buffer... So where..were..they???

Some of this is probably nitpicky but I very nearly shut the episode off twice. It was unintersting and unbelievable..
    complete disappointment

-cheers

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had a map. In their navigation computers. These fugitives lost their ship, and their map. If I told you to go to a certain pub in England but you weren't allowed to map quest it...

Telepaths can stand in front of you. Make sure that you can't see them. Sure they can make you see inaccurate data, and even make you cover their tracks, but later in review of the raw data someone else not under telepathic influence is going to sift through the results in a clean room.

Hypocrisy. The thoughts in your head are supposed to be private.

A billion, billion different subtle frequencies.

He wanted the wormhole, and he wanted the millions of other telepaths hiding on the other side of the wormhole.

Dunno. But if they weren't hiding as a group in the larger transporter buffers used for cargo in the cargo bay, they could have been in any of the other dozens of buffers attached to the other transporters on the ship or Voyagers shuttles.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEB7-sGVf4[/yt]

ALL OF YOUR ANSWERS ARE HERE

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Haha Counterpoint videos are the best.

I think everyone agrees that Kashyk was an ass, but he was pretty handsome and it HAD been a while for her. I'm glad they finally let her have some fun in that episode.

Watching that video reminded me how much I love Janeway's hair in that episode. :lol:

5. Guy Gardener

If there are not classes at the Academy in the seduction of enemy combatants, humans are prissy morons.

But for every cloaking Device Spock stole by being uncontrollably handsome, a hundred unfoundedly vain assholes like Ransom (but not Ransom) got locked in a small packing crate for the rest of their life.

6. teacake

OH yeah they are the greatest vids! We had a whole thread for Counterpoint vids at one point.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDI0HfVTuDA[/yt]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh...

The amount of times I've got sucked down the Counterpoint wormhole on youtube and just.. immersed myself.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Janeway's no prude. She has one opportunity for makeouts in seven years, she's gonna take it.

The thing I found oddest about the episode is the way they let Voyager go at the end. That didn't make sense to me. The rest of it seemed within creative license.

8. Guy Gardener

One opportunity?

She could make out with anyone anywhen.

9. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Kashyk:barf:

I'm sorry, I had to get that out of my system. There is no part of him that is attractive to me and I've even seen him on "The Big Bang Theory". I am perfectly ok with him having fans so long as I don't have to be one.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Because it's Voyager. Bad writing is part of the show.

11. teacake

There are definitely not those classes. Humans are definitely prissy morons and more. They pop out of the Academy full of the wonders of the Federation and the belief that they are part of something important, a peacekeeping armada.

Wesley, "I don't understand drugs" is not going to have been in any classes on how to seduce Romulan princesses.

What they get at the Academy is warnings, about the Ferengi, about scary Orion women, about dreadful planets that don't want to be in the Federation. They know should avoid the Ferengi but they don't know how to out Ferengi the Ferengi.. what a steep learning curve some of them must have, especially the ones that grew up on earth in super federation starfleet families. I feel sorry for them.

This is why on ENT they should have more cargo crew on the NX-01, because they'd actually seen stuff and been places and met people. But even the one they did have managed to be too gee whiz about it all.

12. teacake

I don't look at him, I look at Janeway in full seduction mode.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Blind luck.
    To check for concealed sensor jamming devices.
    Obviously, their fear of telepaths would have precluded that.
    Ditto the Klingons and Romulans. So stealthy even their own people can't find them.
    Yes, it was to find the wormhole and discover how Voyager could locate it so accurately.
    Under the dash. Or in the shuttle buffer. Or in a space suit outside holding on.
    Nice music, though.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently Tuvok was on the bridge... in plain sight. He did open the hailing frequencies when they came that last time.

It is fitting and proper that Janeway's one true love is a Gestapo agent though. ;)

15. teacake

He's not her one true love!!

/smacks R.Star

16. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Well, Kashyk wanted the whole event forgotten to avoid humiliation. But it was quite a gamble on Janway's part, that he would react that way and not just arrest them all anyway. iirc Voyager is pretty much at the mercy of his ships at that point.

17. Defiant Obrien

That is my point. Janeway is a COMPLETE prude.. She keeps chakotays balls in a jar for 7 years because he's a pussy. (He's her fallback plan LOL)

She has had ample opportunity to bang tuvok (maybe she has)..

So here comes this alpha male Kashik and she is like "wow who knows when I'll get another chance for a one night stand.. PANTIES ARE DROPPING"

That bullshit about "holding out for mark" and her dear john letter as her closure is just typical chick logic. You notice how she arbitrarily changed her hair style and got more assertive WELL BEFORE THAT (season 4 i believe)

18. Defiant Obrien

I didnt quite get that myself. His true objective must have been that wormhole... and when that failed there was no point (he had already sold his superiors on his going undercover, or..whatever)

If his second in command was smart, he'd turn states evidence on the guy and transmute it into a promotion later..
    but alas... thats a plot for another day

19. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Early on when there was hope of finding a fast way home she WAS holding out for Marc. Maybe it's "chick logic" to you but just because you're far away doesn't mean you instantly fall out of love and bang the person next to you. And what does changing her hair style have to do with it?

As far as Chakotay, she made it clear to him (and the guy from Workforce) that she WOULD NOT have a relationship with anyone under her command. If he still continued to pine after her that's his issue, not Janeway's

Why would she bang Tuvok? He is a good friend of hers, a MARRIED friend of hers.

20. Defiant Obrien

LOL whatever Kara.. you are just proving my point about chick logic. Chakotays problem? Tuvok being married? THEY ARE 70 years from home!!!