RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,887
Posts: 5,329,863
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 471
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 28 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Whether you were there from the beginning in 1966 or found Star Trek some time in the '70s (or before we got films and TNG) it was a likely a pretty special time: discovering Star Trek when it was pretty much the only game around.

There was other sci-fi, of course, on film and television, but for a lot of us most of it paled in comparison to TOS, For myself, at the time, about the only thing I could enjoy (almost) as much as TOS was UFO. As the '70s progressed and I became more aware I started to appreciate other things, but back then TOS ruled.

The first merchandise I remember that fuelled my interest (besides reruns) were the early AMT model kits and the James Blish adaptations. Not long after I got into TAS and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log adaptations as well as some of the first original novels. The Making Of Star Trek was like a bible to me. And soon Franz Joseph's Booklet Of General Plans and Star Fleet Technical Manual and Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance were added to my small library. Additionally I drew like crazy: lots of starships and other stuff.

Being a Star Trek fan then you could get labelled and teased (to put it kindly) but, man, it was still a great time and a helluva lot of fun.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Yep I was a fan back in the day catching the 70s rerun.

No-one, no-one I knew was a fan. I used to bring the Blish or Alan Dean Foster books to school to read at lunch time. My friends just humoured me.

I went to the bookshop every few months or so waiting for the next Blish adaption to come out. I even bought a model Enterprise kit. I still have the decals but must have used some evil glue and dissolved the plastic.

I liked 'Planet of the Apes', 'Blakes 7', UFO, 'Land of the Giants', even when I was desperate Space 1999 and Original Battlestar Galactica.

I was less enthused for a whie while TOS was off TV (not even in re-runs) and thought I would come back to it and not find it as good as I remember when the DVDs came out. However I found it was even better than I remembered.
CommishSleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

TOS has been such an important part of my life; an inspiration, a hopeful vision of the future when I needed one, an old friend that has never let me down.

Just a TV show? It is so much more than that..
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whether you were there from the beginning in 1966 or found Star Trek some time in the '70s (or before we got films and TNG) it was a likely a pretty special time: discovering Star Trek when it was pretty much the only game around.

There was other sci-fi, of course, on film and television, but for a lot of us most of it paled in comparison to TOS, For myself, at the time, about the only thing I could enjoy (almost) as much as TOS was UFO. As the '70s progressed and I became more aware I started to appreciate other things, but back then TOS ruled.

The first merchandise I remember that fuelled my interest (besides reruns) were the early AMT model kits and the James Blish adaptations. Not long after I got into TAS and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log adaptations as well as some of the first original novels. The Making Of Star Trek was like a bible to me. And soon Franz Joseph's Booklet Of General Plans and Star Fleet Technical Manual and Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance were added to my small library. Additionally I drew like crazy: lots of starships and other stuff.

Being a Star Trek fan then you could get labelled and teased (to put it kindly) but, man, it was still a great time and a helluva lot of fun.

That could almost be me talking. We had the same experiences at the same time.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

I had a couple of friends who were into the show at the time, but over the years they drifted a bit away from it. Even then I think I was more into it than anyone else I knew.

I could also feel a bit isolated. I started to learn of fandom through David Gerrold's books like The World Of Star Trek, but this was all still twenty years or more before the Internet. So all I had were books and Starlog magazine.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Push The Button wrote: View Post
TOS has been such an important part of my life; an inspiration, a hopeful vision of the future when I needed one, an old friend that has never let me down.

Just a TV show? It is so much more than that..
Well said... +1.

Although, I can't claim to have been there from the beginning! I starting getting heavily into TOS early in '84, when I was already 15. But, TOS will always be "my" Trek.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Push The Button wrote: View Post
TOS has been such an important part of my life; an inspiration, a hopeful vision of the future when I needed one, an old friend that has never let me down.

Just a TV show? It is so much more than that..
+1
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

When you're young you can watch a lot of television. A lot of it you grow out of---things that once entertained you can seem rather lacking as your perspective changes with the years. But Star Trek is one of the few things that I learned to appreciate more as I got older. I became more aware of its nuances and all the wonderful aspects of it that eluded me while being dazzled by cool spaceships, weird aliens and exciting adventure.

It was a show that worked on many levels and engaged the mind, or so it did for me. I never thought of it as a kids show, but as something adult that I wanted to understand. I'd hear things I didn't understand and soon look them up at the library to better appreciate what was being said on the show.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 04:14 PM   #9
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

The "rerun era"... It was different, I'll say that. I first came to Star Trek by way of original run TAS and toy commercials, so early I can't really remember when it began. TOS soon followed, usually on weekend afternoons. When I was about 8 an independent UHF station started in my area, and they started showing TOS on weekdays, or seven days a week, and kept it through my high school years. They switched to a VHF channel when I was 16-17.

About twice a year, the station would change its schedule and move Star Trek somewhere else. Every time they changed the schedule, though, it seemed like they would re-start the order of episodes. I had no idea of which season an episode came from at the time, but I knew there were some episodes I saw a lot and some I rarely saw. And once in a while, even after watching the show for going on ten years, there would appear an episode I'd never seen before!

When I was 16 I bought a book called The Star Trek Compendium, in a new "20th Anniversary Edition." Now I knew which shows were from which season, and I found out that the ones that were hardest to catch were from the third season. And more than that, I found there were some I still hadn't seen. They were "The Cloud Minders," "That Which Survives," and "The Lights of Zetar." By then we had a VCR and I could tape reruns so I didn't miss any, but still it took a couple of years to see the last one ("Lights"). (Episodes were coming out on VHS by then , but the video rental places didn't have all of them and I wasn't going to buy them).

It seems really odd now, this almost random way of seeing the show. The strange thing is, sometimes to this day I will have a dream about seeing an episode of Star Trek I've never seen before, it was such a feeling.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The strange thing is, sometimes to this day I will have a dream about seeing an episode of Star Trek I've never seen before, it was such a feeling.
Yep, I've experienced much the same thing occasionally.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Irishman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whether you were there from the beginning in 1966 or found Star Trek some time in the '70s (or before we got films and TNG) it was a likely a pretty special time: discovering Star Trek when it was pretty much the only game around.

There was other sci-fi, of course, on film and television, but for a lot of us most of it paled in comparison to TOS, For myself, at the time, about the only thing I could enjoy (almost) as much as TOS was UFO. As the '70s progressed and I became more aware I started to appreciate other things, but back then TOS ruled.

The first merchandise I remember that fuelled my interest (besides reruns) were the early AMT model kits and the James Blish adaptations. Not long after I got into TAS and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log adaptations as well as some of the first original novels. The Making Of Star Trek was like a bible to me. And soon Franz Joseph's Booklet Of General Plans and Star Fleet Technical Manual and Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance were added to my small library. Additionally I drew like crazy: lots of starships and other stuff.

Being a Star Trek fan then you could get labelled and teased (to put it kindly) but, man, it was still a great time and a helluva lot of fun.
As someone born in the last year of the 60's, it is certainly fair to say a huge part of my developing years was shaped by viewings of TOS in syndication. The timing of my birth also led an equally huge part of my developing years to find enjoyment in sci-fi in general, and TV sci-fi in particular (because it was accessible, and I couldn't take myself to the movies). I was 8 when Star Wars came out and I begged my dad to take me. I was similarly shameless when the Star Trek movies (TMP and TWoK particularly) came out. I also loved TV shows like Space:1999, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and Battlestar Galactica.

Of course, my parents were big readers, and promoted that in myself and my siblings, and we'd take a weekly family trip to the local newsstand, where my dad would pick up copies of The Mother Earth News, while I got into comics (Star Wars, Star Trek, DC and Marvel superhero stuff, the usual). The artwork in the comics hit me like a revelation. It had never occurred to me that you could draw pictures of spaceships, heroes and villains as A JOB!?!? At one point, I was drawing on every scrap of paper, either blatant rip-offs of things I'd seen in the comics, or things that they'd inspired in me. This was an unintended side-effect of my comic book reading. I don't think that my parents had the foresight to know that I'd be any good at it. After this spark of creativity had gone off in my brain, I turned my eye back to those sic-fi shows I was watching. When I had my own disposable funds, I disposed of them on things like "The Starfleet Technical Manual", "The Art of" Star Wars trilogy, novels, etc, etc, etc. My creative side was fueled by sic-fi, and vice-versa, and I began a love for drawing sci-fi artwork.

Warped9, I envy you for also having the Book of General Plans, Trimble's Concordance, and the Making of Star Trek! I think that I chalk up my NOT having had access to a lot of that fan generated stuff to the fact that I never went to a single Con. I know I missed out on very much creative stuff that only now, as a fan in the information age, is becoming easier to procure and/or view.

Now really is the best time to be a sci-fi fan.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:18 AM   #12
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Whether you were there from the beginning in 1966 or found Star Trek some time in the '70s (or before we got films and TNG) it was a likely a pretty special time: discovering Star Trek when it was pretty much the only game around.

There was other sci-fi, of course, on film and television, but for a lot of us most of it paled in comparison to TOS, For myself, at the time, about the only thing I could enjoy (almost) as much as TOS was UFO. As the '70s progressed and I became more aware I started to appreciate other things, but back then TOS ruled.

The first merchandise I remember that fuelled my interest (besides reruns) were the early AMT model kits and the James Blish adaptations. Not long after I got into TAS and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log adaptations as well as some of the first original novels. The Making Of Star Trek was like a bible to me. And soon Franz Joseph's Booklet Of General Plans and Star Fleet Technical Manual and Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance were added to my small library. Additionally I drew like crazy: lots of starships and other stuff.

Being a Star Trek fan then you could get labelled and teased (to put it kindly) but, man, it was still a great time and a helluva lot of fun.
That could almost be me talking. We had the same experiences at the same time.
Add me to the list. It was in November 1975 that I became hooked on Star Trek. It was in December that I started buying the Blish books (#4 and #6). I couldn't wait to see the episodes I'd only read about. It took YEARS to finally see the first half "Conscience of the King" (ST was shown on two different channels - one at 4:30 and the other at 5:00).

I was pretty Trek-obsessed in junior high and high school, and was walking on air when I got to attend an afternoon "Star Trek Festival" in Calgary in 1979, when George Takei was the guest. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet him - I was coming down with the flu that day (hadn't realized I was so sick that morning before the drive from Red Deer), and by the time he was ready to sign autographs I was too dizzy to stand up. So I never did get to meet him, or any other cast member.*

*unless you count Bjo Trimble and David Gerrold, who had cameos in TMP and Trials and Tribble-ations.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I had a couple of friends who were into the show at the time, but over the years they drifted a bit away from it. Even then I think I was more into it than anyone else I knew.

I could also feel a bit isolated. I started to learn of fandom through David Gerrold's books like The World Of Star Trek, but this was all still twenty years or more before the Internet. So all I had were books and Starlog magazine.
Yep, Starlog was my monthly lifeline to Star Trek. Strange to think it's all available online now, along with so much of the fanfic I'd read about in Star Trek Lives! and despaired of ever finding. But eBay and other sites have been helpful to me in my decades-long hunt for fanfic, and some other classic stories (ie. Kraith) are available for free online.

I honestly don't think I'd be so much into it if I'd grown up later, after there was so much that was easily available. I remember one time, on a Saturday in a store that no longer exists, when I found the first New Voyages anthology. I remember thinking that $1.50 was awfully expensive for a book (back then it was, especially for a kid whose only spending money came from babysitting for 50 cents an hour), but I was ecstatic to find it.

I still remember the Christmases when I received some of the 8" ST figures, the first Puzzle Manual, a Star Wars blanket - all of which I still have. My grandmother and great-aunt were incredibly supportive of my interests (my grandmother gave me the ST stuff and my great-aunt gave me the blanket and a space-themed notebook "for my outer space stories").

These are 30-year-old memories, and they're very precious.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:21 AM   #13
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

Back in the day (and long before the Internet) if you didn't buy Trek merchandise in the store then the only other way was either by (snail) mail order or at a conventions dealer room.

My very first convention was Toronto Trek '76 at the Royal York Hotel when I was 17. I went on a Friday afternoon and it was a wild experience seeing so many Star Trek fans gathered in one place---it was mind-boggling for someone who felt like he was pretty much the only one around. Even so I didn't get to attend another convention until about 1990. A few years later I attended Toronto Trek every summer for several years throughout the '90s. A lot of that time was spent manning a fan table where I and two friends peddled our fan writings. The rest of the time I really enjoyed sitting in on discussion panels.

I drifted away from the conventions when the feeling started to change. The convention was getting smaller and there was more and more interest on things that didn't interest me. That said one of the great appeals of Toronto Trek was that it was organized and run by fans---you felt welcomed. I tried attending one of the bigger media driven conventions, but I never went back because the feeling was totally different with seemingly everything carrying a price tag. Toronto Trek felt like what the first conventions might have been like: a gathering place for folks enthusiastic about the same thing and eager to share their enthusiasm with others. The media type conventions make me feel like it's just an oversized dealers room and not a cheap one at that. And candidly with what you can get online at any time a convention's dealers room comes across a rather redundant.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:33 AM   #14
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

I never have been to any conventions with the actors. I've attended a lot where the guests were writers, artists, costumers, and scientists (ie. Dr. Phil Currie from the Royal Tyrrel Museum in Drumheller). The focus in Alberta has always been on writing and art, whether original or working in another already-established universe.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 02:48 AM   #15
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

At Toronto Trek '76 I saw Mark Lenard, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols and Grace Lee Whitney. Very cool. In later years I got to see Nichelle Nichols again, but the rest of the actors I've seen were non Trek performers: Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Christopher Judge, Andreas Katsulas. I also got to meet and speak with John Colicos and later Leni Parker from Earth Final Conflict. I also got to meet and speak with several times over the years with Canadian SF writer Robert Sawyer. We got a bit chummy and exchange messages every so often. Sawyer is a HUGE TOS fan.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.