RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 405
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 28 2013, 09:42 PM   #286
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

This is about as frightening he has looked in years. The hand puppet of the original was pure monster. My favorite Godzila was from the battle with King Kong.

I am also glad they didn't go with the T-Rex head. That might be good for a future opponent. Large head, smaller arms, etc.

If only Harryhausen and the folks at Toho had shaped evolution. But no--we get dinos with feathers. The Moon look as cragged as Chesley Bonestell thought...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:47 PM   #287
Christopher
Writer

I've never gotten the objections to dinosaurs having feathers. I don't think that makes dinosaurs less impressive -- I think it makes birds scarier.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:08 AM   #288
Redfern
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
...I think it makes birds scarier.
Heh, heh! You've reminded me of a situation a friend experienced. In addition to being a co-worker in IT, he was for several years a voluntary fire chief. As such, he dealt with numerous "roadside incidents". Normally they were car wrecks, but one time, he got a call about a bird causing a traffic hazard...an emu!

He easily found the the animal where it was last seen, so he managed to "shoo" the bird off the road until animal control or the owners, regional emu ranchers, had the opportunity to arrive. The bird walked around the edge of a large creek as my friend kept an watchful eye.

It was then he noticed the tracks the emu left in the mud. "Argh! That thing is a dinosaur!" Sure enough the imprint closely resembled that of predatory therapods. It also dawned upon him that dinosaur or not, the claws on that creature could easily disembowel him if suitably threatened. He kept his hand close to his sidearm until the owners finally arrived to claim the bird.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 12:19 AM   #289
publiusr
Commodore

That's a good way to teach evolution too.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 06:17 AM   #290
JuanBolio
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
At 120 meters that is 393 feet...just shy of 400 feet. think that is pushing it!
Why not? In the American version of the original Godzilla he was said to be over 400ft tall, though indeed he was shown, as the Japanese version stated, at around 150ft. A TRUE 400-foot Godzilla would be the undisputed king of ALL monsters.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 12:01 AM   #291
Gojira
Commodore

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
At 120 meters that is 393 feet...just shy of 400 feet. think that is pushing it!
Why not? In the American version of the original Godzilla he was said to be over 400ft tall, though indeed he was shown, as the Japanese version stated, at around 150ft. A TRUE 400-foot Godzilla would be the undisputed king of ALL monsters.
Since I wrote that I have been warming up to the thought of Godzilla being that big.
Old October 25 2013, 12:25 AM   #292
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Some of the people who worked on the last series of films mentioned that one of the reasons for changing his height back from 100 to around 50 meters, was because they lost a lot of detail in the miniatures. Obviously that shouldn't be a concern when dealing with CGI this time round.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:07 PM   #293
Gojira
Commodore

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Some of the people who worked on the last series of films mentioned that one of the reasons for changing his height back from 100 to around 50 meters, was because they lost a lot of detail in the miniatures. Obviously that shouldn't be a concern when dealing with CGI this time round.
I had heard that too. I just hope that they don't make Godzilla so massive that it makes it hard to suspend disbelief.
Old October 25 2013, 08:36 PM   #294
Christopher
Writer

I just hope that they don't make Godzilla so massive that it makes it hard to suspend disbelief.
I think they burned that bridge about 59 years ago...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 11:46 PM   #295
Redfern
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I just hope that they don't make Godzilla so massive that it makes it hard to suspend disbelief.
I think they burned that bridge about 59 years ago...
With atomic breath no less!

I figured they keep making him bigger to keep pace with the ever increasing size of modern high-rise structures. In 1954 Tokyo, yeah, a 50 meter monster was a big deal! Today, the poor guy would almost be lost among the city skyline. Hmm, a daikaiju version of "Where's Waldo?"

And yes, I'm speaking in hyperbole.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old October 26 2013, 12:40 AM   #296
Captain_Amasov
Captain

There's been some toy descriptions making the rounds, mentioning the term "Muto" and "Mutos" in reference, to the other creatures that the humans and Godzilla encounters. One of them is said to be the "exclusive 8-legged Muto", and there's even mention of a "Winged Muto" too.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 12:48 AM   #297
Redfern
Commodore

Whenever I read or hear the word "muto", I think of the derisive term the Kaleds used to describe the "scarred relics of themselves" banished to the wastelands of the planet Skarro.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old October 26 2013, 07:21 PM   #298
Gojira
Commodore

I haven't the 2012 teaser from Com-Con you can see it here.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=i3dk...vwDIW%EF%BB%BF

The dead creature from the teaser is the Muto
Old November 19 2013, 07:31 AM   #299
JD
Admiral

Look what I found on Amazon.
Old November 19 2013, 11:06 PM   #300
Gojira
Commodore

The official Godzilla Trailer will be attached to The Hobbit:The Desolation Of Smaug.

http://www.zennie62blog.com/2013/11/...-hobbit-49107/