Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 28 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Plot for a new Star Trek Series

dan_bevan wrote: View Post
You are very bitchy today im sorry I didnt realise it was your time of the month. I should have been more careful. Im introducing an interesting species that provides a genuine threat. The species would have a backstory that gives a reason to their motives. I will run with that story until it reaches its natural conclusion. My wealth of existing lore is fine thank you and i know plenty about species such as the Klingons and Romulans just dont see the point of rehashing something that has already been done a number of times. That being said I already plan on showing existing species that we all know and see what they are doing in the 29th century.

"Dregs of fandom" !?! Who is this guy? Clueless. You are just one of these bitter fans of TOS and is unable to accept any other incarnation of star trek.
After the comment about 'time of the month' aimed at a man, I was tempted to NOT bother to get back to you.

But I am the keeper of the index (self-appointed) and as such, I try to rise above my own issues.

So, Gatekeeper, the super European fan film, ... you can get a collection of links on it under (G), here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html . The blog 210 includes Star Trek Fan Filmmakers who have not yet released films.

For the moment, I am going allow my response to your comment to NOT yet give you a listing there.

I'll see if you follow through a bit. There are about 5 people who announce they are going to make a fan film for each one that starts, and about 3 or 4 that start for each that actually produces a film. As far as I can tell, you have neither a track record nor a tact record. You'll need both if you are going to pull this off.

I don't know where in the world you are. You might do yourself the favor of attending a shoot for an existing fan film group to see what's involved in this very demanding undertaking.

The map here will help you locate a group that is filming or has filmed a Star Trek Fan Film in your area. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html

Good luck with your film. There are never enough excellent ones. Much is forgiven when the product is excellent. Be excellent.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:52 PM   #17
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

To be honest, im not interested in recruiting obnoxious people anyway. Am open to constructive criticism but dont respond well to blatant rudeness. Lennier1 only seems to like TOS and complains about the other Treks but i bet has watched every single ep of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. But no one was forcing him to watch them.
dan_bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:57 PM   #18
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

surak-toc wrote: View Post
i'm interested in this, but for now i'd think this idea would work as a novel series, the ideas can flow a lot more, its how the new frontier was great, for now i'd prefer to see this as i fan novel series with some amazing stuff going on
Yeah ur probably right for now. Im gona work on a draft for the first episode and get it up on here for people to read and get some feedback. Still thinking up the other characters but looking for inspiration if anyone has any ideas im open to suggestion.
Old July 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #19
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Barbreader wrote: View Post
dan_bevan wrote: View Post
You are very bitchy today im sorry I didnt realise it was your time of the month. I should have been more careful. Im introducing an interesting species that provides a genuine threat. The species would have a backstory that gives a reason to their motives. I will run with that story until it reaches its natural conclusion. My wealth of existing lore is fine thank you and i know plenty about species such as the Klingons and Romulans just dont see the point of rehashing something that has already been done a number of times. That being said I already plan on showing existing species that we all know and see what they are doing in the 29th century.

"Dregs of fandom" !?! Who is this guy? Clueless. You are just one of these bitter fans of TOS and is unable to accept any other incarnation of star trek.
After the comment about 'time of the month' aimed at a man, I was tempted to NOT bother to get back to you.

But I am the keeper of the index (self-appointed) and as such, I try to rise above my own issues.

So, Gatekeeper, the super European fan film, ... you can get a collection of links on it under (G), here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html . The blog 210 includes Star Trek Fan Filmmakers who have not yet released films.

For the moment, I am going allow my response to your comment to NOT yet give you a listing there.

I'll see if you follow through a bit. There are about 5 people who announce they are going to make a fan film for each one that starts, and about 3 or 4 that start for each that actually produces a film. As far as I can tell, you have neither a track record nor a tact record. You'll need both if you are going to pull this off.

I don't know where in the world you are. You might do yourself the favor of attending a shoot for an existing fan film group to see what's involved in this very demanding undertaking.

The map here will help you locate a group that is filming or has filmed a Star Trek Fan Film in your area. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html

Good luck with your film. There are never enough excellent ones. Much is forgiven when the product is excellent. Be excellent.
Didnt mean to cause any offence to anyone. Was meant as a bit of sarcasm in response to abuse. I will check out them links and let you know what I think. Im in the United Kingdom by the way.
Old July 28 2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Maurice
Vice Admiral

IMO unless you are actually serious about producing this thing, I still don't think this belongs here. It's fan fiction otherwise.

Also, can you please use the multiquote feature instead of writing multiple sequential posts, which looks spammy?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:23 PM   #21
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post
IMO unless you are actually serious about producing this thing, I still don't think this belongs here. It's fan fiction otherwise.

Also, can you please use the multiquote feature instead of writing multiple sequential posts, which looks spammy?
Apologies. Don't use the forum very often until recently. Will put the first episode up in the fanfiction forum. If I get positive feedback then can think about producing something
Old July 28 2013, 08:52 PM   #22
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I would be grateful if people could offer criticism and input a bit more constructively and, especially, pleasantly.

I would also be grateful if people could accept criticism more pleasantly--no matter how rude or unpleasant that feedback and criticism might be.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 07:59 AM   #23
Mage
Fleet Captain

surak-toc wrote: View Post
i would like to see some unlikely alliance
Which is also one of those over-used plot devices. The heroes have to team up with the most unlikely of allies.

dan_bevan, you wanted constructive critisism. The harsh truth is, in both topics you started people have kindly tried to point out that this story is full of been there's and done that's.

The overpowerfull and/or millenia old alien returning to the galaxy has been done to death. And Star Trek isn't even about that. Conflict, yes. You need conflict to tell a story. But what about internal conflict? Conflict between characters? Political conflict?
Star Trek at its best was always about adressing current social/political issues, covered up with latex and special fx. And sure, there was big shooty-shooty and 'splosions and stuff. But that's not what the core of Trek is. Star Trek is not about fighting ancient old threats to the universe. That's Star Wars.

(notice the joking winks at the end of the posts, pointing out that that was a small joke, not an attack on Star Wars fans)
Old July 29 2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Three things:
1) If you attack Janet by saying she'll practically become Sally... you've attacked Sally. In fact, you've insulted Sally worse than Janet. Hi, I'm Sally! This is not exclusive to this board. It's a life lesson.
2) There is no shortage of Star Trek Fan Filmmakers in the UK, but none in Northern Ireland. Check the map! You can move it around, zoom in, or go to it at Google Maps. If you are in England, Scotland, or Wales, there's a fan filmmaker near you!
3) Making a fan film is a giant undertaking. This is not like writing a short story, or even a novel. It's an insane amount of work. And, since it's a fan film, you can't sell it. You can't charge for DVDs or to put it in theaters. I'm working on a non-Trek sci fi novel. Even that is an INSANE amount of work, but at least if people like it, I may make a few bucks. I index these bouts of insanity known as Star Trek Fan Films because I respect the energy, effort, and love they embody. I also like watching them, even most of the bad ones. And I'm not the only one. On average, my index gets over 50 visitors and over 200 page views each day. I'm not exactly Amazon.com, but that's not bad.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:48 PM   #25
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Im open to criticism but I won't tolerate rudeness. My series will involve internal conflict. Each of my characters will be flawed in some way or another. The crew will not trust each other and do not want to work together. But over the course of the series they will learn to work together and in doing so learn new things about themselves they never knew were there. The Captain starts off with a big ego and overly confident but when he is charge of a mission of this magnitude is he as confident as he thought he was? The First Officer is a man who has followed Starfleet rules and regulations blindly but over the course of the series the very principles he has always lived by will be shaken. The Doctor is fresh out of med school, is she ready for this much responsibility?

Yes the pilot may be about an alien species who want to threaten our galaxy and the federation, but these aliens will exist in a dimension where they operate outside our time space continuum, which can lead to all sorts of stories involving time travel, alternate dimensions, etc. Not every episode will involve these aliens but they will be the reason behind Starfleet starting the first deep space exploration voyage in centuries. Plus pilot episodes have always been more action packed than other episodes.

This series will be fundamentally based on the principles of Star Trek and will involve a number of social and philosophical issues. The human race will be thriving and may be at the peak of its technological advancement but what of the rest of the galaxy? A number of alien races in the galaxy will regard the Federation the same way as many countries in today's world regard the West. Dilithium deposits across the galaxy are depleting... once prospering civilizations are the brink of collapse. What are these species capable of doing when they are desperate?
Old July 29 2013, 06:52 PM   #26
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Barbreader wrote: View Post
3) Making a fan film is a giant undertaking. This is not like writing a short story, or even a novel. It's an insane amount of work. And, since it's a fan film, you can't sell it. You can't charge for DVDs or to put it in theaters. I'm working on a non-Trek sci fi novel. Even that is an INSANE amount of work, but at least if people like it, I may make a few bucks. I index these bouts of insanity known as Star Trek Fan Films because I respect the energy, effort, and love they embody. I also like watching them, even most of the bad ones. And I'm not the only one. On average, my index gets over 50 visitors and over 200 page views each day. I'm not exactly Amazon.com, but that's not bad.
I probably do not have the resources to be able to do something like this on my own, why is why I was asking people if they would like to join in a project. I would be more interested in being part of a writing team.
Old July 30 2013, 05:05 AM   #27
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Even if it meant compromising your original vision? It is the inevitable result of being part of a team, rather than being a figurehead...
Old July 30 2013, 05:23 AM   #28
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I think you'll mostly find that the people who want to make fanfilms generally want to make the stories they are interested in: which means stories they create. Coming in as a writer and trying to find people to make a film based on your ideas is likely going to be an uphill battle.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 12:01 PM   #29
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

I've made a few changes rather than setting it too far into the future maybe the year 2600 would be better.

Got some ideas on the crew but the character i'm most having difficulty with is the Captain... with the way tv and film is now a new trek series would need to involve a lot of action. My original thought would be to have the all american action hero as the Captain.

It would definately work for TV and Film but I think a lot of the older Trek fans would believe it to be too similar to Kirk and they wouldn't want a younger inexperienced captain again, even though my captain would have been very different to Kirk.

I've now decided that my Captain needs to have the integrity and experience of Picard but also needs to be a younger man... someone in their mid thirties. Someone fit and strong for any action scenes or fights required to do and good looking to also be a ladies man. I'm trying to think of an actor who could fit this role well so I have an image in my head of what this Captain would be like. He could also be British too.

Also some further ideas for the ship. It would be a Generation class Starship. One of the largest starships ever with a large crew quantity, but also sleek in design. Something along the lines of the Enterprise J which was seen in one of the episodes of Enterprise. This ship would hold families on board, have zoos and parks, and other entertainment and recreational places to go on board. The ship would have the most advanced computer which is basically a think tank of the most intellectual minds of the galaxy.
Old August 6 2013, 12:22 PM   #30
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

that's a good idea, something of my design in there, but having it a sleek design, nothing like the enterprise j, something a little bit fatter if possible, but i think if anything i would like to see this ship have some organic components to it

Last edited by surak-toc; August 6 2013 at 02:32 PM.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote