A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 20 2013, 03:39 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek III - great rewatch value

Watching The Search for Spock on SyFy right now, even though I own it on Blu-ray. It really is an underrated movie.
Old July 21 2013, 12:31 AM   #47
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Watching The Search for Spock on SyFy right now, even though I own it on Blu-ray. It really is an underrated movie.
I don't recall any hate for it in its day. TMP had polarized fan opinions, and ST II seemed to appeal more to the ones who'd been disappointed by TMP but had not yet stomped away from fandom in anger.

ST III was great fun, even though Australia had to wait six months attempting to avoid spoilers. Down Under, Sydney fans had a very busy couple of weeks attending two free gala previews in costume and then opening night.

Then came the popular success of ST IV and it was probably about then (and definitely confirmed by ST V) that someone suggested the "even-numbered Trek films are best" truism. And even people who barely remembered ST III began to diss it.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:53 AM   #48
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I love III, myself.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 04:20 AM   #49
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I obviously wasn't there when III came out (well I was but 2 years old) but if there was hate for it, I doubt they would have allowed Nimoy to direct the next one.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:28 PM   #50
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to double post but someone just posted the premiere event of the film on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8aAOSLkXc
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 10:36 PM   #51
publiusr
Commodore

In some ways, I find it better than even ST II
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 10:09 PM   #52
TenLubak
Commander

I actually saw III before II and liked III Very much. I thought it was a fun movie, and had that 80s action movie feel that I liked as a kid. Its funny because I picked that one out at the Blockbuster thinking that was the one where spock died. The Search for Spock, well he must have died right? He did, turns out in the very first scene of the movie.
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:37 AM   #53
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

Anytime I want to show off my home theater I put on the Enterprise self-destruct scene. BOOOOM!!!!!!!

Of course I am just a little too young to remember because I was only 4 or 5 years old when it came out. But that must have been shocking to a lot of people. I remember how torn up I was about the Enterprise-D in Generations, and that's despite kind of hearing rumors in the months leading up to the movie it might happen. I bet that wasn't the case in 1984.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 03:30 AM   #54
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to RyanKCR

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
Anytime I want to show off my home theater I put on the Enterprise self-destruct scene. BOOOOM!!!!!!!

Of course I am just a little too young to remember because I was only 4 or 5 years old when it came out. But that must have been shocking to a lot of people. I remember how torn up I was about the Enterprise-D in Generations, and that's despite kind of hearing rumors in the months leading up to the movie it might happen. I bet that wasn't the case in 1984.
It was in the trailer.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 05:06 AM   #55
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

III to me has some good, and some bad. I thought this marked a turn where the characters started to become parodies of themselves, rather than playing it straight. Which I'm fine with in STIV, but that shift I feel was detrimental to the series as a whole.

Thought the "no, you can't have a ship and go out to this classified area you were just at" made little sense, given how important Kirk was to the federation at the time. It was easy to explain their situation to the brass, given McCoy's stuff going on. So the stealing the ship and sabotaging the excelsior portion of this felt a bit cheesy to me.

The main conflict still holds up well. I like genesis, it's a good sci-fi theme. I like David and Carol. The enterprise destruction was cool. Tough time buying Back to the Future guy as a klingon (I have no idea why his name is eluding me, and lazy to look it up). Love how David's arc played out.

End scene where Spock returns sans memories is pretty touching.

So good and bad. Like a 6.5-7/10 for me. I skip it on most rewatches, but don't skip it ALL the time (like V, Insurrection, Nemesis)
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:34 AM   #56
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Writing "(I have no idea why his name is eluding me, and lazy to look it up)" is actually more effort than Googling "st3 klingon captain", so you did more work being "lazy" than if you'd actually looked it up. Congrats!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 11:58 AM   #57
chevron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

otomo wrote: View Post
Thought the "no, you can't have a ship and go out to this classified area you were just at" made little sense, given how important Kirk was to the federation at the time. It was easy to explain their situation to the brass, given McCoy's stuff going on. So the stealing the ship and sabotaging the excelsior portion of this felt a bit cheesy to me.
Of course at the time Kirk asked for the Enterprise he had no idea that Spock's body had regenerated on Genesis. All he actually had to do was bring McCoy to Vulcan so Sarek could get Spock's katra.

Unless of course there was a deleted line where Sarek said "oh, by the way, we need his body too."

Mmm... Sarek did say "why did you leave him on Genesis?" implying that they shouldn't have left his body there... I might just have invalidated my earlier point...
chevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 12:59 PM   #58
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Spock's katra, via McCoy, also asked why Kirk left Spock on Genesis. It's possible that Kirk was making a leap of faith based on that.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 02:54 PM   #59
Maj. Kira Nerys
Ensign

McCoy was also trying to get a ship to the Mutara Sector before they found out what was wrong with him and Kirk had considerable knowledge of the Genesis effect and Sarek didn't go into any details - he just said they should bring Spock to Vulcan without defining if he meant his body or his katra, if I remember correctly. He probably just thought, Spock - that is McCoy in that context - wants to go to the Mutara sector and then to Mount Seleya, Sarek wants to have him on Vulcan. Well, let's go to Vulcan and do the Mutara sector on the way.

Allons-y! (Tenth Doctor)
Maj. Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 05:18 PM   #60
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

@otomo: It's Christopher Lloyd.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote