The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 26 2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: The Return Of Odo. For how long?

Plot devices or not, I hope we keep Odo home in the Alpha Quadrant and is reunited with Kira. I miss them as a couple, and they're parting in What You Leave Behind was so heart wrenching yet classy and well done. Give me Odo and Kira over anymore of the Kassidy/Benjamin angst anyday.

Yet sadly we'll probably get more Bashir/Ezri/Whatshername drama like we did in Zero Sum Game.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Relayer1
Commodore

I'm hoping Odo will be around long enough to pick up the changeling and Kira threads previously dangled. After that, it will probably be occasional guest spots.
Old July 27 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
JWolf
Commodore

JeremyWWoolward wrote: View Post
Oops...The King beat me to it.....
SPOILER code is needed.

Sran wrote: View Post
^I'm interested to see what becomes of Odo
SPOILER code is needed.

[QUOTE=Sran;8432902]
R. Star wrote: View Post
Sisko...
SPOILER code is needed

Halliwell wrote: View Post
Plot devices or not, I hope...
SPOILER code is needed.
Old July 27 2013, 04:35 PM   #19
JWolf
Commodore

People, STOP giving out spoilers. Use a SPOILER code. The thread topic does not say (spoilers) so you cannot talk about the plot so openly. You have to use spoiler codes as you can very easy ruin things for others who have not yet read these books.
Old July 27 2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Elias Vaughn
Captain

The thread title is also kind of a spoiler. And the first post is a spoiler despite the tag because the spoiler'd text shows if you mouseover the title in the thread list.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

JWolf wrote: View Post
People, STOP giving out spoilers. Use a SPOILER code. The thread topic does not say (spoilers) so you cannot talk about the plot so openly. You have to use spoiler codes as you can very easy ruin things for others who have not yet read these books.
Um, the title of the thread is a spoiler. It states right there the Return of Odo. Common sense should tell you that Odo is back.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:55 PM   #22
JWolf
Commodore

The thread title should be changed as well to prevent anyone from reading it who has not read that book.
Old July 27 2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Um, the title of the thread is a spoiler. It states right there the Return of Odo. Common sense should tell you that Odo is back.
Common sense, something that not everyone seems to have a grasp of.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

SPOILER code is needed.
How many times are you going to repeat this?

Who made you part of the moderator staff? The novels in question were released last summer. They're not new. If they had been released a week ago, I'd see your point about using the spoiler tag. But Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn have been around for a year, so there's been ample opportunity for people to read and re-read them. The events of each book are fairly well known to people familiar with the Trek literature universe.

And it's not as though the title gives away every piece of information about the subject. Most people who post here are smart enough to avoid threads they don't want to read. It's merely a matter of not clicking on the link in question.

The thread title should be changed as well to prevent anyone from reading it who has not read that book.
Why? If you don't want to see the thread, don't click the link. It's not rocket science.

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Common sense, something that not everyone seems to have a grasp of.
Common sense should be added to the list of endangered species if it hasn't already.

--Sran
Old July 27 2013, 11:58 PM   #25
JD
Admiral

Do we have a specific length of time before you don't have to use spoiler code anymore? Personally, I'd say after six months it's probably not really necessary anymore. By that point everybody who wants the read the book will have had plenty of time, and people (like me) who haven't read the book yet, should be aware that they are in the minority and that discussion of the book's events will probably be spreading to other threads.
Old July 28 2013, 12:15 AM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Do we have a specific length of time before you don't have to use spoiler code anymore? Personally, I'd say after six months it's probably not really necessary anymore. By that point everybody who wants the read the book will have had plenty of time, and people (like me) who haven't read the book yet, should be aware that they are in the minority and that discussion of the book's events will probably be spreading to other threads.
That's a good question. I agree that after a certain point it's not necessary to post spoiler tags. I've not read every book that's out there, but I don't mind if people talk about them. The same is true for the TV series. Not everyone has seen every Trek spin-off. Do we have to use the spoiler tag for these discussions, too? It's better if people just avoid the threads they don't want to read. It's not hard to avoid clicking on a topic if it's not interesting.

--Sran
Old July 28 2013, 01:40 AM   #27
JWolf
Commodore

The way to do it is to put in the topic (spoilers) and then you are covered with no need for spoiler codes. But as that's not happened, spoiler codes are needed. It doesn't matter if this was a thread for Spock Must Die, not everyone has read every book. So be polite to those that have not. It's common sense and politeness.
Old July 28 2013, 01:51 AM   #28
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone

Re: Speculation about stuff in latest Typhon Pact novel SPOILERS WITHI

Okay - I've changed the thread title.

I didn't know how long ago the book was out. Having read the entire thread I would say six months is plenty for not worrying about spoilers, but I've changed it now so it's done.

Books are always a problem for spoilers because people do read them for the first time often long after they are published, but I would say six months is plenty for worrying about discussing a book.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 01:52 AM   #29
Sran
Fleet Captain

The way to do it is to put in the topic (spoilers) and then you are covered with no need for spoiler codes. But as that's not happened, spoiler codes are needed. It doesn't matter if this was a thread for Spock Must Die, not everyone has read every book. So be polite to those that have not. It's common sense and politeness.
And what about those of us who haven't seen every TV episode or film? Are you going to argue for spoiler warnings or tags being used in those sub-forums? Honestly, give it up. The books you've not read have been out since last summer. A lot of people have read them. There's no reason to post spoiler warnings anywhere. The information contained in the threads isn't new or top-secret.

--Sran
Old July 28 2013, 08:41 AM   #30
Maj. Kira Nerys
Ensign

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'm hoping Odo will be around long enough to pick up the changeling and Kira threads previously dangled. After that, it will probably be occasional guest spots.

As Kira is obviously not dead - The prophets don't seem to be, Sisko had that vision, and Kira is in the wormhole - and is mentioned in the blurb, I think it's quite likely we will have her back and before the wormhole reopens (and we get Kira back) Odo can't get back, so I think it is very likely that Odo will stay some time. And in The Worlds of Deep Space Nine 3 Odo was thinking about going back to Kira anyway.

Allons-y! (Tenth Doctor)
Maj. Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote