Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 26 2013, 09:52 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Do changelings really have gender?

I always got the feeling the Female Founder just took female form simply because Odo was in male form to set his mind at ease and/or to more easily manipulate him be it romantically or maternally.
Old July 27 2013, 01:44 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Personally I don't think somebody's personal identity needs to conform to a gender and people should focus on being the person they are instead of worrying about which set of chemically correlated personality traits that person conforms more closely to.

Odo is genderless and only chose a male appearance to copy Dr Mora. His attraction to Kira was not sexual.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:23 AM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
His attraction to Kira was not sexual.
Quite the opposite, Odo was both sexually and romatically attracted to Kira. She was the feminine to his masculine.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 05:01 AM   #19
TheSubCommander
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
I always got the feeling the Female Founder just took female form simply because Odo was in male form to set his mind at ease and/or to more easily manipulate him be it romantically or maternally.
I got that impression too. Also, I had the impression that changelings, when in their natural environment had no gender, which is one of the reasons why they didn't understand solids, more specifically, humanoids.

I think Odo assumed a gender because that was what he was supposed to do: come in contact with humanoid solids and become them as much as possible, then report back to the great link, and introduce his new experiences, so they can understand solids. Basically as the Female Changeling taught Odo, when a changeling wants to understand something, it becomes that thing. Exactly WHY Odo became male, instead of female, is probably because he came in contact with male scientists. Had the scientists been female, he could have easily been female.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:18 PM   #20
_C_
Commander

^ I keep thinking of the baby in The Begotten. Its first unprompted shapeshift was a primitive copy of Odo's face, and it copied him when he tilted his head to look at it.

Doctor Mora said Odo "told" him he was an intelligent lifeform by copying the beaker he was in.
Old July 28 2013, 06:38 AM   #21
TheSubCommander
Captain

_C_ wrote: View Post
^ I keep thinking of the baby in The Begotten. Its first unprompted shapeshift was a primitive copy of Odo's face, and it copied him when he tilted his head to look at it.

Doctor Mora said Odo "told" him he was an intelligent lifeform by copying the beaker he was in.
That was a very good Odo-centric episode, and was a little reminiscent of TNG's The Offspring. It always made me wonder if the Founders actually intended for the infant changeling to die all along, or simply restore Odo's shape shifting ability.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:22 AM   #22
Maj. Kira Nerys
Ensign

I don't think the changelings in the Great Link do have a gender identity. This seems unlikely to me, because they don't exist as individuals there, so how could they have gender?

But Odo is quite different. He grew up among people with a strong gender identification, so it seems logical that he would develop a gender identity himself if we assume that we are to a substantial part influenced by our environment, not only by genetics.

Concerning the female Founder - funny to call her that when he haven't even established if she is female - I really think that she was trying to form a relationship with Odo and saw that as the best way. I am also not sure if it was ever mentioned that the Founders were in the habit of taking humanoid form. If they did it very rarely it would make sense that the female Founder would keep the appearance she had taken - similar to Odo - when they met the first time, later when she had to be in humanoid form more often.

Allons-y! (Tenth Doctor)
Maj. Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:13 PM   #23
_C_
Commander

^It's said they first formed to look like Odo to make him feel welcome, and later kept doing it as a dig to make him uncomfortable.