Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.35%
A 161 21.64%
A- 100 13.44%
B+ 82 11.02%
B 58 7.80%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.84%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27 2013, 01:09 PM   #4546
Mage
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Looked and felt like Trek to me.
"Looked and felt" perhaps, but still just a facsimile. It's not real Star Trek.

Or whatever...
Not to you. To me, it was. YMMV. This forum would be so much nicer if everyone could just accept that others have a different opinion about wether or not this was a good film.
I loved it!! Good for me!! Other's don't. Just as good for them!!
Old July 27 2013, 01:48 PM   #4547
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Mage wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Looked and felt like Trek to me.
"Looked and felt" perhaps, but still just a facsimile. It's not real Star Trek.

Or whatever...
Not to you. To me, it was. YMMV. This forum would be so much nicer if everyone could just accept that others have a different opinion about wether or not this was a good film.
I loved it!! Good for me!! Other's don't. Just as good for them!!
I think CorporalClegg was being sarcastic.
Old July 27 2013, 02:20 PM   #4548
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Dantrek wrote: View Post
I give it a D-. I thought visually it was nice. The story was unoriginal. There were so many plot holes I don't know where to begin. It was a good action sci fi film but it wasn't Star Trek even with its little homages to prime universe Trek. I just think JJ Abrams is more suited for Star Wars type films. I cannot get used to that beer factory engine room or the bridge with a window/view screen with light glares bouncing off it. Sorry, as much as I love Trek I cannot get into this version.
So, I suppose ST:TMP (being unoriginal as it was a remake of the perevious episode "The Changeling"; as well as being full of p[lot holes) "wasn't Star Trek" either?
Well, if you peeled the bad art direction & moronic splitfocus diopters off TMP it was still something resembling TREK underneath, just that the characters were in a different place in their lives.

But if you stopped aiming every light at the camera in the Abrams, and also discarded the ludicrous brewery and the rest of the contemporary welds, you'd STILL have something that didn't resemble trek underneath.

So I would not concur.

Is there any criticism that isn't just pure nitpicking?

Abramstrek isn't like the old Star Trek because Spock is behaving like a psychopath, Kirk is a playboy hot shot who likes to execute bad guys and makes really stupid decisions, they made Starfleet a lot more militaristic, and made the 23rd century way too contemporary, and went away from the idea that Trek needs to convey some sort of message in an entertaining fashion, in favor of hollow sci fi action. And a lot more points that differ.

What is it with people and their split focus diopters, plot holes, breweries or lens flares? All those nitpicks are not the reason why the new films aren't remotely close to original Star Trek.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:47 PM   #4549
BillJ
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Abramstrek isn't like the old Star Trek because Spock is behaving like a psychopath...
I imagine watching your mother die and losing your planet can affect you psychologically.

Kirk is a playboy hot shot who likes to execute bad guys and makes really stupid decisions...
Young, inexperienced people often make poor decisions. Kirk also executed Chang in The Undiscovered Country. After obviously crippling the Bird-of-Prey, he didn't even offer surrender as an option.

they made Starfleet a lot more militaristic...
No more militaristic than TOS.

and made the 23rd century way too contemporary...
There is a more mechanical feel to the technology. But that is a stylistic choice.

and went away from the idea that Trek needs to convey some sort of message in an entertaining fashion, in favor of hollow sci fi action. And a lot more points that differ.
Star Trek Into Darkness conveyed a message just fine.
Old July 27 2013, 05:47 PM   #4550
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Spock acting like a psychopath is pretty common in TOS.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:26 PM   #4551
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Spock acting like a psychopath is pretty common in TOS.
Amok Time, mating urge or not, no other crew member smashed up half the ship just because they were horny.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:24 PM   #4552
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Star Trek Into Darkness conveyed a message just fine.
What message would that be?
Old July 27 2013, 08:30 PM   #4553
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Khan
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old July 27 2013, 08:33 PM   #4554
marksound
Fleet Captain

Kirk is a playboy hot shot who likes to execute bad guys and makes really stupid decisions...
Young, inexperienced people often make poor decisions. Kirk also executed Chang in The Undiscovered Country. After obviously crippling the Bird-of-Prey, he didn't even offer surrender as an option.
Hmm. That's not how I remember it. Enterprise was being fired upon by a cloaked ship ...

"It's gotta have a tailpipe." "Doctor, would you care to assist me?" "Lock and load, Jim!" "Fire!"

Meanwhile, on Excelsior ... "Target that explosion and fire."

That's not an execution. That's defending your ship and crew from an aggressive, merciless attack. If the aggressor was destroyed in the process, oh well. Bad day for him.

IMO, YMMV, yeah.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:37 PM   #4555
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post

Hmm. That's not how I remember it. Enterprise was being fired upon by a cloaked ship ...

"It's gotta have a tailpipe." "Doctor, would you care to assist me?" "Lock and load, Jim!" "Fire!"

That's not an execution. That's defending your ship and crew from an aggressive, merciless attack. If the aggressor was destroyed in the process, oh well. Bad day for him.

IMO, YMMV, yeah.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Old July 27 2013, 08:46 PM   #4556
marksound
Fleet Captain

IMO, YMMV, yeah.
OK, please explain how killing an enemy who is engaging in an unprovoked act of war is the same as execution.

Just so I can understand.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:57 PM   #4557
BillJ
Admiral

OK, please explain how killing an enemy who is engaging in an unprovoked act of war is the same as execution.

Was anyone monitoring the Bird-of-Prey? Did they send a hail offering surrender after obviously crippling it with the first shot?

A single, uncloaked Bird-of-Prey would be no match for two capital Starfleet ships.
Old July 27 2013, 09:10 PM   #4558
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

IMO, YMMV, yeah.

Nero was an enemy combatant who blew up an entire planet and killed the majority of its population, destroyed a fleet of ships and killed countless Starfleet personnel, attempted to destroy a second planet, kidnapped and tortured a Starfleet Captain, was in the possession of weapons of mass destruction and was battling the Enterprise. He also refused surrender. Killing him was not an execution any more than killing Chang was. Both were enemies who were engaging in unprovoked acts of war
Old July 27 2013, 09:16 PM   #4559
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

And it's not like Kirk didn't ask for Nero's surrender.

Twice.
Old July 27 2013, 09:21 PM   #4560
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
And it's not like Kirk didn't ask for Nero's surrender.

Twice.
Starfleet regulations require you ask three times. Kirk would know that if he attended classes.