RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,907
Posts: 5,477,742
Members: 25,051
Currently online: 526
Newest member: GrammaticalFict

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 26 2013, 10:23 PM   #31
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

And I disagree. Giving a Trek film the photorealistic look of SPACE COWBOYS even, let alone GRAVITY, with seriously hard light/unfilled shadow areas, would create more of an aura of credibility.

Take a look at some of the long shots in FC when they're walking on the dish. The very distant shot that opens the sequence is pretty darn good, but then when you get into Patrick Stewart PeterPanPinwheeling over the dish, it might as well be 1955 and THE CONQUEST OF SPACE when Ross Martin gets run over by a space rock.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:55 PM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Franklin wrote: View Post
September 8, 1966 was when TOS debuted on network TV in the United States ("The Man Trap" was the episode). So, 2016 is the 50th anniversary.
Exactly, and Paramount celebrated the 20th anniversary in a big way, in 1986, with a similar marketing push for the 25th in 1991.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:19 AM   #33
captainkirk
Commander
 
captainkirk's Avatar
 
Location: South Africa
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

trevanian wrote: View Post
And I disagree. Giving a Trek film the photorealistic look of SPACE COWBOYS even, let alone GRAVITY, with seriously hard light/unfilled shadow areas, would create more of an aura of credibility.

Take a look at some of the long shots in FC when they're walking on the dish. The very distant shot that opens the sequence is pretty darn good, but then when you get into Patrick Stewart PeterPanPinwheeling over the dish, it might as well be 1955 and THE CONQUEST OF SPACE when Ross Martin gets run over by a space rock.
If you look at actual space photos, you will see plenty of lens flares. But I do agree a that a completely realistic space look would be nice. On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 12:50 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Well it goes without saying that Paramount would aim for the 50th Anniversary Year in 2016. It's a marketers dream.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 03:23 PM   #35
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

captainkirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 05:58 PM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Mage wrote: View Post
captainkirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
A canceled TV show. So, no it didn't work out too well.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:23 PM   #37
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Mage wrote: View Post
captainkirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
Dead and buried in less than 20 episodes, brought back as a flop of a movie that the fans dragged out of the studio and immediately regreted.

So...yeah.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #38
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Speak for yourself, don't presume to speak for others.

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:59 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Set Harth wrote: View Post

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
I did. Loved the show, but haven't revisited it since the film. The film killed all the positive feelings I had for the show.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 09:11 PM   #40
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

I enjoyed Firefly a lot, but I absolutely LOVED Serenity.

But back to the point a few posts up, I thought Firelfly's space shots seemed unfinished with the lack of sound. Even BSG added in some deep thrrrump! noises when shit blew up or crashed or whatever.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 01:06 AM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

captainkirk wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
And I disagree. Giving a Trek film the photorealistic look of SPACE COWBOYS even, let alone GRAVITY, with seriously hard light/unfilled shadow areas, would create more of an aura of credibility.

Take a look at some of the long shots in FC when they're walking on the dish. The very distant shot that opens the sequence is pretty darn good, but then when you get into Patrick Stewart PeterPanPinwheeling over the dish, it might as well be 1955 and THE CONQUEST OF SPACE when Ross Martin gets run over by a space rock.
If you look at actual space photos, you will see plenty of lens flares. But I do agree a that a completely realistic space look would be nice. On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.

On GRAVITY Cuaron is really doing the no sound in space thing (except musical accompaniment.) Only exception: if she touches an object, there is a sound, as if it is transmitted through her glove or suit, but that's playing pretty straight with things with respect to science, and I am HELLUVA impressed.

I think with a conventional action film (by that I mean something other than Cuaron, who is so far outside the box with his long take stuff that he is pretty much his own thing in my mind) you could do the no sound thing too, but you'd have to be doing rhythmic cutting from inside the ship to exterior, so you'd go from big interior sound effects to NOTHING, and back & forth, increasing the pace as the sequence culminates. I actually did cut some of my s8 stuff that way over 20 years ago, and I could see how it would work if you really slaved over it.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 01:09 AM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

BillJ wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
I did. Loved the show, but haven't revisited it since the film. The film killed all the positive feelings I had for the show.
That's how I felt after a certain character's sudden death, but on second viewing I got over it (or I settled in with it) and now I love SERENITY as a full extension of the series, and I actually watch it more often than the series (which is saying an awful lot.)

I do think the VFX in the film were often not quite as good as in the series (they just got too close to the ship for it to hold up in CG), but even if FF had had crummy fx I wouldn't have been upset, as that wasn't what I came for.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:05 AM   #43
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
captainkirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
Dead and buried in less than 20 episodes, brought back as a flop of a movie that the fans dragged out of the studio and immediately regreted.

So...yeah.
Well, this fan loved the movie. This fan also knows tons of other fans who loved the movie.

So...yeah.
Seriously though, my original remark about Firefly was just a little joke, and shouldn't be taken to seriously. I loved the entire no sound during space scenes, but I also get that having sound can make a scene a lot more intense and interesting. It can work both ways.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 07:44 PM   #44
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

BillJ wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
I did. Loved the show, but haven't revisited it since the film. The film killed all the positive feelings I had for the show.
There are things I like about the film, but overall I think it simply fails to capture many of the things I liked about the series. Most importantly, the series was an ensemble piece, but the movie sidelines most of the cast in favor of focusing on a few players.

I'd hope that people saw the series before going into the movie, because otherwise the emotional punch of Wash's death is negligible. Since he's landed the ship and been such an incidental character (basically, he flies the ship and that's all), his death is neither a plot complication nor an emotional beat. It's just a cheap shock that comes out of nowhere and is moved on from just as quickly.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #45
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

I don't think movie execs, theater owners or general audiences are going to be too keen on having a summer blockbuster FX-laden sci-fi movie released in IMAX 3D with Digital THX realistic Surround Sound that...

...has no sound.

Just sayin'...
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.