Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 26 2013, 10:23 PM   #31
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Badass Digest says new writers for Trek 3; studio aiming for the 5

And I disagree. Giving a Trek film the photorealistic look of SPACE COWBOYS even, let alone GRAVITY, with seriously hard light/unfilled shadow areas, would create more of an aura of credibility.

Take a look at some of the long shots in FC when they're walking on the dish. The very distant shot that opens the sequence is pretty darn good, but then when you get into Patrick Stewart PeterPanPinwheeling over the dish, it might as well be 1955 and THE CONQUEST OF SPACE when Ross Martin gets run over by a space rock.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:55 PM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
September 8, 1966 was when TOS debuted on network TV in the United States ("The Man Trap" was the episode). So, 2016 is the 50th anniversary.
Exactly, and Paramount celebrated the 20th anniversary in a big way, in 1986, with a similar marketing push for the 25th in 1991.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:19 AM   #33
captainkirk
Commander

trevanian wrote: View Post
And I disagree. Giving a Trek film the photorealistic look of SPACE COWBOYS even, let alone GRAVITY, with seriously hard light/unfilled shadow areas, would create more of an aura of credibility.

Take a look at some of the long shots in FC when they're walking on the dish. The very distant shot that opens the sequence is pretty darn good, but then when you get into Patrick Stewart PeterPanPinwheeling over the dish, it might as well be 1955 and THE CONQUEST OF SPACE when Ross Martin gets run over by a space rock.
If you look at actual space photos, you will see plenty of lens flares. But I do agree a that a completely realistic space look would be nice. On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 12:50 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it goes without saying that Paramount would aim for the 50th Anniversary Year in 2016. It's a marketers dream.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 03:23 PM   #35
Mage
Commodore

captainkirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
Old July 27 2013, 05:58 PM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.
Uhm......Firefly??
A canceled TV show. So, no it didn't work out too well.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:23 PM   #37
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Uhm......Firefly??
Dead and buried in less than 20 episodes, brought back as a flop of a movie that the fans dragged out of the studio and immediately regreted.

So...yeah.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 08:11 PM   #38
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Speak for yourself, don't presume to speak for others.

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
Old July 27 2013, 08:59 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post

The studio bean-counters may have regretted putting out the film, but that doesn't mean the fans regretted seeing it.
I did. Loved the show, but haven't revisited it since the film. The film killed all the positive feelings I had for the show.
Old July 27 2013, 09:11 PM   #40
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I enjoyed Firefly a lot, but I absolutely LOVED Serenity.

But back to the point a few posts up, I thought Firelfly's space shots seemed unfinished with the lack of sound. Even BSG added in some deep thrrrump! noises when shit blew up or crashed or whatever.
Old July 28 2013, 01:06 AM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post

If you look at actual space photos, you will see plenty of lens flares. But I do agree a that a completely realistic space look would be nice. On the other hand, to complete that feel you might as well have no sound in space which wouldn't work that well.

On GRAVITY Cuaron is really doing the no sound in space thing (except musical accompaniment.) Only exception: if she touches an object, there is a sound, as if it is transmitted through her glove or suit, but that's playing pretty straight with things with respect to science, and I am HELLUVA impressed.

I think with a conventional action film (by that I mean something other than Cuaron, who is so far outside the box with his long take stuff that he is pretty much his own thing in my mind) you could do the no sound thing too, but you'd have to be doing rhythmic cutting from inside the ship to exterior, so you'd go from big interior sound effects to NOTHING, and back & forth, increasing the pace as the sequence culminates. I actually did cut some of my s8 stuff that way over 20 years ago, and I could see how it would work if you really slaved over it.
Old July 28 2013, 01:09 AM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

I did. Loved the show, but haven't revisited it since the film. The film killed all the positive feelings I had for the show.
That's how I felt after a certain character's sudden death, but on second viewing I got over it (or I settled in with it) and now I love SERENITY as a full extension of the series, and I actually watch it more often than the series (which is saying an awful lot.)

I do think the VFX in the film were often not quite as good as in the series (they just got too close to the ship for it to hold up in CG), but even if FF had had crummy fx I wouldn't have been upset, as that wasn't what I came for.
Old July 28 2013, 08:05 AM   #43
Mage
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Uhm......Firefly??
Dead and buried in less than 20 episodes, brought back as a flop of a movie that the fans dragged out of the studio and immediately regreted.

So...yeah.
Well, this fan loved the movie. This fan also knows tons of other fans who loved the movie.

So...yeah.
Seriously though, my original remark about Firefly was just a little joke, and shouldn't be taken to seriously. I loved the entire no sound during space scenes, but I also get that having sound can make a scene a lot more intense and interesting. It can work both ways.
Old July 28 2013, 07:44 PM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

There are things I like about the film, but overall I think it simply fails to capture many of the things I liked about the series. Most importantly, the series was an ensemble piece, but the movie sidelines most of the cast in favor of focusing on a few players.

I'd hope that people saw the series before going into the movie, because otherwise the emotional punch of Wash's death is negligible. Since he's landed the ship and been such an incidental character (basically, he flies the ship and that's all), his death is neither a plot complication nor an emotional beat. It's just a cheap shock that comes out of nowhere and is moved on from just as quickly.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #45
Opus
Commodore

I don't think movie execs, theater owners or general audiences are going to be too keen on having a summer blockbuster FX-laden sci-fi movie released in IMAX 3D with Digital THX realistic Surround Sound that...

...has no sound.

Just sayin'...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote