RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,173
Posts: 5,435,390
Members: 24,942
Currently online: 509
Newest member: ks55

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 27 2013, 09:02 AM   #1
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain
 
You_Will_Fail's Avatar
 
Location: Trill, Federation World and Proud
So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

its*

Season 1 "Progress"

And apparently enough energy to heat "two hundred thousand homes". Seriously, sometimes you'd think Bajor only had like 10 million people the way they talk about it, they needed to scale up the numbers a lot.

But regardless of that, I found it disturbing that they were willing to poison the entire atmosphere of a habitable moon for some energy and on top of that, there WAS another option to use some sort of phase technobabble technology that wouldn't harm the moon but they had to wait one year. Wait on year or poison an entire moon? Hmm, tough choice...not.
__________________
My 30 Favorite Star Trek Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4y_sR7l7Y
My 15 Favorite Star Trek Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Season 1 "Progress"

And apparently enough energy to heat "two hundred thousand homes". Seriously, sometimes you'd think Bajor only had like 10 million people the way they talk about it, they needed to scale up the numbers a lot.

But regardless of that, I found it disturbing that they were willing to poison the entire atmosphere of a habitable moon for some energy and on top of that, there WAS another option to use some sort of phase technobabble technology that wouldn't harm the moon but they had to wait one year. Wait on year or poison an entire moon? Hmm, tough choice...not.

When 200.000 families CAN NOT wait another year, as was clearly established, for this energy then it is the most reasonable thing to do.

Bajor JUST got out of the occupation. They didn't have the means to support themselves fully, what with their planet being raped to near death by Cardassians. Sorry for my language......

Anyway, they had not other choice, otherwise they'd condem 200.000 families. Kind of an easy choice then really.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:59 AM   #3
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain
 
You_Will_Fail's Avatar
 
Location: Trill, Federation World and Proud
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

Thanks for replying but you really don't need to quote my entire post...especially since you're the first to reply.

Anyway, I still find it unrealistic they'd want to poison their entire moon just to get some energy. One winter isn't gonna be their downfall.
__________________
My 30 Favorite Star Trek Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4y_sR7l7Y
My 15 Favorite Star Trek Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

With star trek tech, it doesn't make much sense - starfleet could have given the bajorans a few fusion reactors, for example.
Within the confines of the episode - either ~half a million people starving/freezing/dying or destroying the ecosystem of an uninhabited moon - the second option wins.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

Tell that to the people in those 200 000 homes (which could easily be 500 000-1 000 000 pepole) without heat for the winter.

In some regions on Earth we can get warm pleasent summers, but come winter minues (degrees C) tempatures aren't unheard of. For example in the UK the highest tempature recorded is +38.5C and the lowest -27.2C. A vast difference between the two seasons.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
With star trek tech, it doesn't make much sense - starfleet could have given the bajorans a few fusion reactors, for example.
Within the confines of the episode - either ~half a million people starving/freezing/dying or destroying the ecosystem of an uninhabited moon - the second option wins.
Yes they could have, perhaps the Federation offered but were turned down. Or perhaps it was a pride thing the Bajoran's. They wanted to stand on their own two feet and do it by themselves.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
With star trek tech, it doesn't make much sense - starfleet could have given the bajorans a few fusion reactors, for example.
Within the confines of the episode - either ~half a million people starving/freezing/dying or destroying the ecosystem of an uninhabited moon - the second option wins.
Yes they could have, perhaps the Federation offered but were turned down. Or perhaps it was a pride thing the Bajoran's. They wanted to stand on their own two feet and do it by themselves.
If the bajorans put their pride on such a high pedesal that they preferred to destroy a moon's ecosystem rather than accept help when help was available - well, that would lower my opinion of the bajorans considerably. That would not even be stubbornness, but idiocy.

It may be better to just accept the contradiction as a plot hole than to try and fit the episode into the larger technological trekverse.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Thanks for replying but you really don't need to quote my entire post...especially since you're the first to reply.

Anyway, I still find it unrealistic they'd want to poison their entire moon just to get some energy. One winter isn't gonna be their downfall.
I'm not so sure about that dowfall. I think the city I live in, including the smaller town around it, should make up for about 200.000 families. In the winter, with no power what so ever to heat themselves or prepare food for themselves.... That's a game over. So, one surplus moon no one's using anyway is a good deal. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

And as Edit_XYZ stated, it's a minor plothole really.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

How's this much more different the the government claiming imminent domain on all land around a river so they can dam it and supply power to thousands if not millions? I agree they didn't think the numbers through, but that's relatively minor.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:11 PM   #10
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain
 
You_Will_Fail's Avatar
 
Location: Trill, Federation World and Proud
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

R. Star wrote: View Post
How's this much more different the the government claiming imminent domain on all land around a river so they can dam it and supply power to thousands if not millions? I agree they didn't think the numbers through, but that's relatively minor.
I don't expect the actions of the governments of today to be the same in advanced Star Trek civilizations.
Bajor is paradise right, this beautiful world which is full of history, art and culture....but also they're gonna destroy a clearly fertile moon for some power? Don't think so.
__________________
My 30 Favorite Star Trek Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4y_sR7l7Y
My 15 Favorite Star Trek Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

^

Bajor *was* a paradise, which is why it was so attractive to the Cardassians.

And art, history & culture are nice things to have, but won't make much difference in keepin' your house warm in the winter.
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

Bajor *was* a paradise, which is why it was so attractive to the Cardassians.

And art, history & culture are nice things to have, but won't make much difference in keepin' your house warm in the winter.
This.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:35 PM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post

Anyway, I still find it unrealistic they'd want to poison their entire moon just to get some energy. One winter isn't gonna be their downfall.
...Right, it would be much more realistic if they poisoned their own planet just to get some energy.

If you have absolutely no heating whatsoever one winter could be their downfall. You know how many people froze to death in Jamestown?

Would it have been better to help them with what's available? Sure, only nothing was available, the Cardassians took it all. Besides chopping wood there's not a whole lot they can do.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

The art, history and culture of a small moon doesn't feed people nor keep them safe from the elements.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 03:00 PM   #15
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain
 
You_Will_Fail's Avatar
 
Location: Trill, Federation World and Proud
Re: So Bajor made one of it's moons uninhabitable for some energy

Dude, it was ONE winter.
They sacrificed a shit ton of potentially fertile farmland and poisoned a planetoid when they could have waited one measly year, it's absurd!
__________________
My 30 Favorite Star Trek Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4y_sR7l7Y
My 15 Favorite Star Trek Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.