Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2013, 09:46 AM   #256
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

It was during the middle of Civil War that I finally bailed on Marvel (after gritting my teeth and hanging on for several years). I never heard about Black Bolt's harem.
Old July 27 2013, 11:44 AM   #257
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Of all the gazillions of superheroes out there, the Fantastic Four are definitely the silliest ones. When in a live action film a human turns into a rubber band that can wrap around the Millenium Wheel, I'm out.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:40 PM   #258
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It was during the middle of Civil War that I finally bailed on Marvel (after gritting my teeth and hanging on for several years). I never heard about Black Bolt's harem.
Civil War was when I was starting to be able to get into regular comic reading (its still my favorite Marvel event).

Black Bolt's harem was created when a bunch of "Inhumans" from other species just kind of appeared. Black Bolt had just came back to life (in a confusing and not really explained way) and he took one of each species as an extra wife. It was basically a giant FU to Medusa and made little sense (although BB having a bipedal horse wife was kind of funny). He had no reason to take extra wives, he didn't get some kind of big advantage or something. But, it looks like they're just pretending that the Black bolt harem don't exist, and I'm really glad for that.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 07:54 PM   #259
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I stopped reading Marvel right around Maximum Clonage. I've only just recently started reading Spider-Man again with the whole Doc Ock story line.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 09:38 AM   #260
RJDiogenes

^^ I'm vaguely tempted to join their online service to sample the current stuff and keep up. After all, I was a fan since the mid 60s. But when I hear about storylines and see art samples, I'm afraid the experience may be too painful.

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Civil War was when I was starting to be able to get into regular comic reading (its still my favorite Marvel event).
Civil War was the quintessence of everything I hate about current pop culture fashion. All the characters had become corrupt and unlikeable, the interpersonal conflicts were forced and inconsistent, they were killing people off simply for the alleged shock value. And the writing and art were bad.

Black Bolt's harem was created when a bunch of "Inhumans" from other species just kind of appeared. Black Bolt had just came back to life (in a confusing and not really explained way) and he took one of each species as an extra wife. It was basically a giant FU to Medusa and made little sense (although BB having a bipedal horse wife was kind of funny). He had no reason to take extra wives, he didn't get some kind of big advantage or something. But, it looks like they're just pretending that the Black bolt harem don't exist, and I'm really glad for that.
It's an interesting idea, in and of itself; it's a good way to show that we're dealing with an alien culture with different social norms (and an especially amusing way to do it, given the eternal confusion and discomfort with sexuality among the common people). But it's inconsistent with Black Bolt's characterization and history-- not that the current batch of creators cares about stuff like that.
Old July 28 2013, 09:51 AM   #261
Tosk
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Of all the gazillions of superheroes out there, the Fantastic Four are definitely the silliest ones.
Oh boy, not even close.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 10:26 AM   #262
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^From above link:
Fox creative consultant Mark Millar says the film will contain "stuff you haven't seen in a superhero movie before."
Wouldn't it be nice if that means the movie will focus more on the FF as celebrity explorers/adventurers? That would be a nice variation on the superhero-movie formula.
Seeing as it's made by Fox will that mean good actor choices for the roles intended, acting ability and a good story?
Old July 28 2013, 03:00 PM   #263
Christopher
Writer

^Not sure what being made by 20th Century Fox has to do with it. Fox produced the previous, weak Fantastic Four movies, not to mention Daredevil and Elektra, but it also produced all of the X-Men movies, ranging from the very best to the very worst. I don't think you can generalize about the quality of any studio's overall output.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 09:41 AM   #264
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Rumour went round yesterday that actor Miles Teller was the front-runner for Reed but apparently the director has already debunked it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107338
Old August 19 2013, 04:07 PM   #265
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Fantastic Four to take place in X-Men movie universe.
Old August 19 2013, 04:19 PM   #266
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Oh so we'll probably see Hugh Jackman joining the Fantastic Five.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 04:39 PM   #267
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Wolverine vs. The Thing. You know you want to see it happen.
Old August 19 2013, 05:26 PM   #268
Skywalker
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Wolverine vs. The Thing. You know you want to see it happen.
It's facepalmin' time.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 06:15 PM   #269
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Hopefully the Thing will be done with mocap and CGI this time.

And hopefully the writing will actually be better, of course.
By 'better', you mean dark, and as for the main characters, they will be dysfunctional as heck.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I wish they'd cast age appropriate actors. Wasn't Johnny Storm, like 16 or something when became the Torch? I know they often play younger but it's rarely believable. A 28 year old high school attending Spider-Man is the worst example of this.
Johnny Storm had graduated high school and was in his mid-to late teens/early 20s by the time the events that changed him into the Torch had happened.

I'll agree with you about the casting of age appropriate actors, though-one of the things about Supergirl that bugs me is that Warners has blown it repeatedly when it comes to getting a film with her off of the ground, and has missed chances to cast a teenager as Supergirl (she should be at least 15-16 years of age!) All of the good actresses that could have played her (in particular, one young lady and her sister that's done great work) have all aged out of the role or won't able to be in said movie in time (although they can always launch a casting call for one). Anyhoo, Johnny's cast, and that's all that matters.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I am entirely serious. And I agree that it was a piece of crap. But more important that what it did wrong, is what it did right. The character dynamics and interactions between Reed and Sue and Reed and Doom, for one. The Doom in Corman's movie is insanely, gloriously over the top, as Doom should be. Story's Doom was just another corrupt businessman. Corman's FF felt more like a family story than, er, Story's. Story got most of that important stuff wrong.
Story and the scrpitwriters didn't get anything wrong other than people didn't like it for some reason (Johnny and Ben still bicker, Ben's a hotheaded angry guy, Johnny's a show-off-all just like in the original comics. And having Doom be a businessman like Lex Luthor was a great touch-there's only so much one can get out of the 'evil scientist who wants to take over the world' trope.

As well, having Sue be a scientist was a similar masterstroke that made the character a hell of a lot more better and relevant than her being an actress who just decides to tag along on her boyfriend's/fiancé's spaceflight (although that's taken from Ultimate Fantastic Four, and the Sue being the fiancée of Doom is a shout-out to her having a secret relationship with him in the comics of the time.)

All told, for me, I hope that this movie's as good as the Story movies.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; August 19 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:06 PM   #270
RJDiogenes

Johnny Storm was 16 when he became the Torch.