Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 27 2013, 03:11 AM   #211
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Best Audio Book?

How's the Cyberman series? I wasn't really that interested until I noticed James Swallow wrote the second run.

Is there an intro story in or "jumping off" point from the main range for stuff like Cyberman, Dalek Empire and I, Davros?
Old July 27 2013, 03:28 AM   #212
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
How's the Cyberman series? I wasn't really that interested until I noticed James Swallow wrote the second run.

Is there an intro story in or "jumping off" point from the main range for stuff like Cyberman, Dalek Empire and I, Davros?
I don't know any of those series, but, the first Dalek Empire story is this month's "Book Club" special, so, it's only 99cents. I purchased and downloaded, but, it's going into the queue, because I have all these Six/Evelyn I want to listen to (Tomorrow I should finish Evelyn's 9th story, and there's 13 left waiting for me to listen). I can't pass up the 99cent deals

I assume Dalek Empire and The Cybermen Series are basically seperate from everything else. I, Davros, I think is his origin story

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; July 27 2013 at 03:38 AM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 04:30 PM   #213
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'm a fan of Cyberman. Cold and heartless-- but that's what you want, I think! It has a very raw feel to it. I reviewed it all here:
http://unreality-sf.net/2009/08/09/archive-scorpius/
http://unreality-sf.net/2009/08/26/archive-fear/
http://unreality-sf.net/2009/09/05/archive-conversion/
http://unreality-sf.net/2009/10/23/archive-telos/
http://unreality-sf.net/2009/12/20/archive-cyberman-2/

Kind of. The Dalek Empire draws vaguely on some stuff set up in the "Dalek Empire" strand of the main range: The Genocide Machine, The Apocalypse Element, The Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. But it's pretty minor.

Ditto, the Cyberman audios take place in the same milieu as Sword of Orion and Kingdom of Silver (the Orion Wars in the 26th century), but there's no plot overlap.

I, Davros also builds off some stuff established in Davros. You should listen to Davros, mostly 'cause it's brilliant.
Old July 27 2013, 06:12 PM   #214
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But if you listen to all four in one day... I wanted to punch Susan Mendez. She was a bigger Muppet than Mickey had ever been.
Oh, god, Susan Mendez! I had blanked her out in my mind!

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 06:28 PM   #215
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I, Davros also builds off some stuff established in Davros. You should listen to Davros, mostly 'cause it's brilliant.
I also highly recommend I, Davros, especially if you're a fan of I, Claudius.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 12:39 AM   #216
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But if you listen to all four in one day... I wanted to punch Susan Mendez. She was a bigger Muppet than Mickey had ever been.
Oh, god, Susan Mendez! I had blanked her out in my mind!
By the end actual Daleks were calling her "Suze".

Adopted kids must be so happy knowing that their parents have never had sex.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:39 PM   #217
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Had a little windfall, so I was finally able to justify buying the Sarah Jane Smith audios. Finished the first one a while ago. I like the premise, definitely, and we'll see how it goes.

But please tell me I can't be the only one who notices the striking similarity between the intro/outro music for this series and the Torchwood theme...
Old July 29 2013, 09:54 PM   #218
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Oh maybe. I hadn't. I like David Darlington's musical stylings a lot. He's good at adding to the feeling of the play without it being sub-orchestral warbling (i.e., he's not Andy Hardwick).
Old July 30 2013, 03:03 PM   #219
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Finished Doctor and The Pirates - I enjoyed the Musical Portion, and Evelyn's trauma juxtaposed with Sally's (Though did we ever get a clear answer how Sally was responsible for her boyfriend's death? I got the impression is was a car crash, but, don't recall it being actually stated, nor it being stated how it happened). The first two episodes, though, were pretty frustrating, waiting for something to happen, and I don't believe that frustration adds to the overall enjoyment, I would've preferred that had been handled differently. But the second disk does make up for it, and overall it's enjoyable (Could've been more enjoyable if not for the frustration in the first two episodes)

Finished Project:Lazarus - I loved the fact that it was a sequel to Project:Twilight, and Evelyn's secret was well done, and the additional trauma from Cassie really amped things up. Overall I enjoyed it, but, wish there was a smoother transition bringing in McCoy's Doctor or a little something more with Six and Evelyn before the end of it

Just started Arrangements for War - I'm glad to see they ramping up Evelyn's trauma, and not just sweeping it under the carpet. Anxious to see where this one goes.

Old July 31 2013, 08:35 PM   #220
VDCNI
Captain

Exciting news, I think. Adric is back!!

Matthew Waterhouse was recording today with Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton & Peter Davison.

https://www.facebook.com/thebigfinish/photos_stream
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 07:23 AM   #221
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Great news!

Now that he, Tom Baker, and John Levene have all seen the light, that just leaves Jackie Lane.

I know she's retired but I really want to do just one audio play. Companion Chronicles are retiring but they will be replaced by Early Adventures. I can only hope she can be convinced...

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 08:04 PM   #222
VDCNI
Captain

To celebrate the 50th anniversary Big Finish are permanently reducing the price of the first 50 releases to £5 for the cd's and £2.99 for the downloads.

After the current stock of cd's has been sold they will not be repressing them anymore and they will only be available as a download.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...y-a-fiver-each

I have them all but a good way to get into the audios.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 09:02 PM   #223
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Very cool indeed, I have some of the first 50, but, I am missing many of them, and I always do download, instead of CD, so, this is awesome for me (Now I just need to get through my backlog to justify spending more money )

Old August 1 2013, 09:32 PM   #224
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

That's excellent news, my collection has hardly any of the first 50 in it.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 01:19 AM   #225
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Wow, I just noticed Zagreus is #50. That's a hell of a deal, it's a 3 Disk 40th Anniversary Special, featuring Doctors 5-8 (And it says on Wikipedia that it also includes 3?). I have it, but, for $2.99 that's an awesome deal for someone who doesn't have it, and since people either love it or hate, it's a great way to see which side you fall on, without risking much. (I'm fortunately one who does like Zagreus a Great Deal)

I have 18 of the First 50, I believe, and 32 I don't have.

The Holy Terror, Colditz, Omega, Davros, and Master, I've heard favorable things about so, they'll probably be first on my list, and I have #2 and #3 of the Dalek Empire Main Range and enjoy them both, so, I'll likely get The Genocide Machine and The Time of Daleks. At some point, I want to continue/Restart with Charley/Eight, so that's another 5 or 6. So, that alone is more than 1/3 of what I need of that first 50, so, I'm likely to get them all at that price. Only Big Finish Story I've heard, that I would regret having paid $3.00 for is the Arabella Weir Unbound as Doctor 3, all the rest of them though would be definitely worth $3.00 each for a first listen....(Mission of the Viyrans, I'd probably complain if I paid much more, but, I got it for free and wouldn't regret having paid $3.00 for it)

Last edited by Sindatur; August 2 2013 at 01:32 AM.