Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 27 2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: Loved Trek Characters You Just Don't Like

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Abramsverse: Uhura
Forgot about her. She is grating, snooty and thoroughly unpleasant. Nothing at all like the proper Uhura.
I agree. The way Nichols played her, all she had to do was look at you and you knew you were in trouble. Uhura has a coolness about her.
Old July 27 2013, 02:45 AM   #17
Third Nacelle
Captain

Kirk, Riker, Archer. Juvenile, cocky, arrogant jerks who have no business representing our culture out in space.

I do like Kirk more in the movies, he seemed to mature a bit.

Tuvok bothers me as well, a Vuclan who chooses to live and work among humans, and then looks down his nose at everything about humans. Spock and T'Pol never showed that level of closed-mindedness and condescension (though T'Pol got close). He should have been assigned to the T'Kumbra.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:18 PM   #18
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

TOS: I do love them all but some of the things Kirk does is just like, NO, GOD WHY???
TNG: Wesley & Pulaski and Q most of the time I just found q obnoxious and annoying. Not funny or anything. Finishing the series with a Q episode I thought was ridiculous
DS9: Used to be Garak but I really warmed to him, same with Jake. I thought Jake was just gonna be another Wesley. Quark I hate. Not just because he's ferengi he is just an absolutely horrible person. Literally noone likes him, he is never supportive or even happy or anything. And he gets WAAAAAAAY too many episodes and they are all exactly the same.
Old July 28 2013, 07:48 AM   #19
TheSubCommander
Captain

1001001 wrote: View Post
TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
TOS: Chekov, Uhura, Sulu
TNG: Pulaski, Wesley, Yar
DS9: Jadzia, Bashir, Keiko, Kira (sometimes)
VOY: Kim, Janeway, Chakotay
ENT: Trip, Phlox, Mayweather,
Abramsverse: Uhura, Chekov, Scotty
I don't think several of these qualify as "Loved Trek Characters"...

Kim? Wesley? Chakotay? Pulaski?

You may have a point with Wesley, but based on some responses I have seen on this site, the rest seem to have a following, if a cultish one.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 05:59 PM   #20
TheMightyQ
Ensign

Kirk comes to mind.
TNG: Worf
DS9: Worf, Kira, Ezri (I'm actually pretty sure she's not a loved character at all but I'm putting her down anyways because, well, I really don't like her...)
VOY: B'elanna torres (although I'm not sure if she counts as a "loved" character)
TheMightyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 06:15 PM   #21
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Kira, she's horrible. All of her episodes seem to revolve around her being a religious fanatic who wants to kill the nearest cardassian. She seems to get off on being a little piece of crap to everyone too.

Jadzia Dax, I can't say that I don't like her as such, it just seems that the only point to her character (as far as season 3) is to state the obvious.

Kes. My god she was awful.

I'm not even going to count nutrek because all their characters have been written so poorly, except maybe Bones.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 12:00 PM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
Quark I hate. Not just because he's ferengi he is just an absolutely horrible person. Literally noone likes him, he is never supportive or even happy or anything. And he gets WAAAAAAAY too many episodes and they are all exactly the same.
I like Quark.

He wasn't written to be like any of the other original primary players, and he was sometime the insightful voice in an episode. He saw things different, and wasn't afraid to make commentary.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 12:21 PM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Riker. What a petty man, who plays favorites and seems to get off on being a dick to everyone outside the command clique... unless you're a female alien of the week, then he's trying to get his dick into you.
Old July 29 2013, 12:34 PM   #24
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

But do people actually love Riker? Isn't he just there most of the time?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Use of Time
Commodore

Kirk was a temperamental snappy asshole. For some reason it annoyed me when he gave a command and finished it with "mister."
Old July 29 2013, 01:34 PM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Reading this thread I feel like defending Kirk but of course he doesn't need defending because he is CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK so all you haters can suck it !

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 03:17 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
But do people actually love Riker? Isn't he just there most of the time?
I loved seasons one and two Riker. After that he just felt like Picard's secretary.

teacake wrote: View Post
Reading this thread I feel like defending Kirk but of course he doesn't need defending because he is CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK so all you haters can suck it !
Old July 29 2013, 05:54 PM   #28
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

TOS: I don't really dislike anyone.
TNG: Riker! Can't stand him. Didn't really like Yar either. But she quit after the first season anyway.
DS9: Can't think of any "iconic people" that I dislike. I didn't particularly like Nagus Zek, but he is not what you would call "much loved" or "iconic". I wasn't crazy about Nog, but it would be difficult to imagine the show without him. Jake barely did anything. I was upset when Terry Farrell left and Jadzia was replaced with Ezri. After watching 6 seasons with Jadzia, my heart didn't really welcome Ezri. Keiko annoyed me too.
VOY: Kes. Also not iconic though. I don't think I would get rid of anyone though.
ENT: Even though a decent character, I'd say Hoshi. Her translating abilities were insane, but not believable. But, again, it would be difficult to imagine the show without her.

Yeah, so pretty much just Riker...
Old July 29 2013, 07:46 PM   #29
eskyliz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Worf. I hated Worf. I'm not sure if he's even a "loved" character but I know I sure don't love him. Well okay, I might not have hated him but he just... annoyed me. I always find Klingon episodes such a bore. I don't know why but they just aren't my thing.

I thought I was done with him forever when I finished TNG. I was so disappointed when I got to him in DS9. Although I must admit he wasn't as bad in DS9 but still. Why did he even come on?

That's a serious question. Was there a reason for him in DS9 or did people just want another character?
"That may be the most important thing to understand about humans. It is the unknown that defines our existence. We are constantly searching, not just for answers to our questions, but for new questions. We are explorers." - Captain Sisko
eskyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

eskyliz wrote: View Post
Worf. I hated Worf. I'm not sure if he's even a "loved" character but I know I sure don't love him. Well okay, I might not have hated him but he just... annoyed me. I always find Klingon episodes such a bore. I don't know why but they just aren't my thing.

I thought I was done with him forever when I finished TNG. I was so disappointed when I got to him in DS9. Although I must admit he wasn't as bad in DS9 but still. Why did he even come on?

That's a serious question. Was there a reason for him in DS9 or did people just want another character?
I don't know who it was on this board, but someone called him "The Worf Who Ate 2 Star Trek Shows". I thought that was so funny.

Eh...I was a bit annoyed when they brought him on DS9, but got used to him. He's not on my shit list though.