Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 25 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Trek Kindle eBook "Update"

Hey, so I'm posting this here for a number of a reasons, the main one being that I've not seen this before for any eBook and the second that I've noticed myself and others have complained about major issues with some of the earlier Trek eBooks. (I believe A Stitch in Time was the most egregious according to the board. Though I forget which one now, one of the Post-Insurrection books had no paragraph breaks.)

Anyway, this morning I got an e-mail from Amazon alerting me that there was an update available for Voyager: The Farther Shore. The thing that caught my eye was a two point bullet list stating the reason for the update: "Typos have been corrected and Significant editorial changes have been made."

Significant editorial changes strikes me as a rather large blanket. I don't recall any major issues. Perhaps no chapter call outs or something minor. Still, it is curious. Anyone get a similar note about other books? Or perhaps know what exactly changed in Farther Shore?
Old July 25 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Zedferret
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Trek Kindle eBook "Update"

I expect editorial changes refer to fixing the typesetting, justification or layout rather than story editorial.
Zedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I've seen "updates" for a couple of other titles, but not that one. Either way, it seems to be becoming fairly standard practice.

If games can have patches and movies can get director's cuts, I don't see any reason to freak out about this, though I suppose it would be nice if they were a little clearer on what's changing.
Old July 25 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
BritishSeaPower
Commander

I'm not so much alarmed or even worried about massive changes to content, more curious as to what changed. (If it were literally any other book I might even give it a go. ;-) )

You're right in comparing them to Game patches, it just cropped up as weird. Weirder still that I'd get an e-mail about it.
Old July 26 2013, 12:57 AM   #5
bfollowell
Commander

I pointed this out back in November, generally, not this ebook specifically (see my link below). It seems to have started sometime last fall. BritishSeaPower, you were part of the discussion way back then so, at least then, you were aware that these changes were being made, even if you weren't aware of the extent of the changes.

Most of the changes seem positive but some are really strange, ex. newer versions of ebooks having a title page for a cover where an older version had a real cover image for a cover. The text formatting has been really cleaned up in most of them though. I can't say that I've seen any book published after 2007 that has been updated though. So far it's only pre-2007 titles.

- Byron

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=193105
Old July 26 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
BritishSeaPower
Commander

Huh, I completely forgot about that thread, bfollowell. I looked through the book and it seems that the improvements are the "Sign Up for Pocket" pages, a better cover image and chapter breaks that correspond to the print pages.
Old July 26 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

I found the kindle version of Stone and Anvil had about three chapters in the middle in the wrong order. Really confuses the story. I had to compare it to a print copy to figure out what should be where. I reported it to Amazon, who said they'd notify the publisher. That was about six months ago, and so far no update.

Edit: Doh. Its After the Fall, not Stone and Anvil. I'll actually get a title right some day soon.

Last edited by CaffeineAddict; July 27 2013 at 08:08 AM.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Huh. Just in case I ever happen to read that on Kindle, do you happen to remember which chapters?
Old July 27 2013, 01:28 AM   #9
bfollowell
Commander

CaffeineAddict wrote: View Post
I found the kindle version of Stone and Anvil had about three chapters in the middle in the wrong order. Really confuses the story. I had to compare it to a print copy to figure out what should be where. I reported it to Amazon, who said they'd notify the publisher. That was about six months ago, and so far no update.
Well, it looks as if Stone & Anvil has already been updated as part of the program I mentioned back last November. So, either the changes you mentioned have already been made or they were missed and are still there in a cleaned-up prettier version. The version you mentioned that had the chapters out-of-sequence, did it have the "Thank you for purchasing this Pocket Books ebook - Signup Here" page in the front and back of the book? If not, you were definitely reading and older version and a newer one is available. You may just try re-downloading to see if they send the newer version.

- Byron
Old July 27 2013, 08:07 AM   #10
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Huh. Just in case I ever happen to read that on Kindle, do you happen to remember which chapters?
Just checked the email i sent amazon about it, and I'm mis-remembering titles again (second time this week) - it was After the Fall, not Stone and Anvil.
Either way, pages 219-237 have been moved to after the subsequent chapter (the chapters aren't numbered in that book).
Old July 27 2013, 08:12 AM   #11
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

bfollowell wrote: View Post
Well, it looks as if Stone & Anvil has already been updated as part of the program I mentioned back last November. So, either the changes you mentioned have already been made or they were missed and are still there in a cleaned-up prettier version. The version you mentioned that had the chapters out-of-sequence, did it have the "Thank you for purchasing this Pocket Books ebook - Signup Here" page in the front and back of the book? If not, you were definitely reading and older version and a newer one is available. You may just try re-downloading to see if they send the newer version.

- Byron
Turns out it was After the Fall, not Stone and Anvil, but yes, it does have the pocket ebooks "sign up here" pages.
I've tried re-downloading the kindle book, and the issue is still there.
Old July 27 2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Hey, so I'm posting this here for a number of a reasons, the main one being that I've not seen this before for any eBook
<snip>
Anyone get a similar note about other books?
I send out a daily newsletter for free and bargain Kindle books to a rather large mailing list, and due to all those free books (and a few paid ones), I have almost 4000 Kindle books (no clue when I'll EVER be able to read them all).

I'm also in some of the authors' beta groups- they send me books to read before they are published, and ask for feedback.

Updates happen very frequently. They are usually for correcting typos, and grammatical and formatting errors.
Old July 27 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Just checked the email i sent amazon about it, and I'm mis-remembering titles again (second time this week) - it was After the Fall, not Stone and Anvil.
Either way, pages 219-237 have been moved to after the subsequent chapter (the chapters aren't numbered in that book).
I wonder - would it be useful to have a thread that tracks eBook errors in Trek books? Off the top of my head, the first DTI book doesn't display italics, and Distant Shores is missing two stories.
Old July 27 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
JWolf
Commodore

The more recent Trek eBooks have been quite good in terms of not having errors. I'm glad someone at S&S decided it was time to stop the crap and make proper eBooks.
Old July 27 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Csalem
Commodore

I got Slings and Arrows book 6 on Kindle recently and had a terrible formating issue with italic. There was no space between previous word and italicised word.