RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 604
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 26 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
benmrii
Ensign

Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

As a brief introduction, I recently realized I'd enjoyed all the Star Trek I'd ever seen but was very aware that it was a tiny portion of the whole and did not include a single episode of the original series. I decided to watch all of it, every episode and movie, in an ideal order. Following suggestions from a blog post I skipped The Cage, started with Where No Man Has Gone Before, and have since watched them in (Netflix's) order through Obsession.

Watching them has been great and as I had questions and a desire to know more I kept finding myself reading threads here. With a respect for this community I now want to throw the question to you: what recommendations would you make to someone committed to watching all of Star Trek, the vast majority of it for the first time?

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I was unable to find an existing thread on the subject. I look forward to your input!
benmrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

benmrii wrote: View Post
As a brief introduction, I recently realized I'd enjoyed all the Star Trek I'd ever seen but was very aware that it was a tiny portion of the whole and did not include a single episode of the original series. I decided to watch all of it, every episode and movie, in an ideal order. Following suggestions from a blog post I skipped The Cage, started with Where No Man Has Gone Before, and have since watched them in (Netflix's) order through Obsession.

Watching them has been great and as I had questions and a desire to know more I kept finding myself reading threads here. With a respect for this community I now want to throw the question to you: what recommendations would you make to someone committed to watching all of Star Trek, the vast majority of it for the first time?

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I was unable to find an existing thread on the subject. I look forward to your input!
Always watch them in order, though skipping the Cage is appropriate. But as for a whole series watchlist... chronological order is mostly the best.

The Original Series(all 3 seasons)
The Animated Series(strictly optional, some people like it, some don't, for the most part I didn't)
Star Trek: Movies 1-6
Star Trek: The Next Generation(Seasons 1-6)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(Season 1)
Star Trek: The Next Generation(season 7)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(season 2)
Star Trek: Generations(the movie)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(seasons 3-5)
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(seasons 6)
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(season 7)
Star Trek: Voyager(seasons 1-7)
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: Enterprise(seasons 1-4)
Star Trek(2009 movie)
Star Trek: Into Darkness

That roughly will keep everything in order. TNG, it's movies and DS9 crossed over a number of times and referenced each other numerous times. Voyager, while taking place at the same time as the later parts of DS9, is quite literally in a completely seperate setting as they're not interacting, so for simplicity's sake I'd just suggest watching it on it's own run. While Enterprise takes place before TOS, it contains numerous references and easter eggs to what comes after it in the timeline that to get the full experience you really should watch it after.

Hope that helps some. As I said, if you want to watch all of TNG in 1 run, and all of DS9 in another, you won't detract from the experience that much, just be prepared for some common settings, events and what not. Really whatever order you go in, you can't go too wrong. And of course, welcome to the board!
Old July 26 2013, 05:07 PM   #3
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

^A good list, but be sure to intertwine episodes, especially after crossovers like DS9's "Emissary" and TNG's "Birthright". Also start Voyager after season 3 of DS9 without passing season 5 of Voyager until completing DS9.

I kinda did that for this:
http://youtu.be/AITmqxmI4uo
A Prime Trek tribute.

Last edited by bbjeg; July 26 2013 at 05:23 PM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Cage is arguably the best episode in all of Star Trek. Go back and check dat shit.

When I got my friends in to Star Trek I made them watch the best 10 TOS episodes, then started them with TNG S3 because I knew they didn't have the patience that hardcore sci-fi fans do.

Last edited by DalekJim; July 26 2013 at 09:20 PM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Cage is arguably the best episode in all of Star Trek. Go back and check dat shit.

When i got my friends in to Star Trek I made them watch the best 10 TOS episodes, then started them with TNG S3 because I knew they didn't have the patience that hardcore sci-fi fans do.
Probably not a bad plan!
Old July 26 2013, 06:23 PM   #6
benmrii
Ensign

Awesome, I appreciate the replies.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Always watch them in order, though skipping the Cage is appropriate. But as for a whole series watchlist... chronological order is mostly the best...
Thank you for the welcome and for taking the time to pull that list together, R. Star. It's clear and I think it would serve well as the foundation of my plan.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^A good list, but be sure to intertwine episodes, especially after crossovers like DS9's "Emissary" and TNG's "Birthright". Also start Voyager after season 3 of DS9 without passing season 5 of Voyager until completing DS9.
I'll keep that in mind. It's interesting to watch TOS and realize how these early episodes not only stood alone but were developing the foundation for so much more to come in several iterations of Star Trek. For example, a comment that might have otherwise seemed offhand about Spock or Vulcans has become a canonical truth about an alien race in an ever-growing enterprise (if you'll pardon the horrible pun).

All that to say: I will keep it in mind and am curious to see how I feel about intertwining episodes (not just series and seasons) once I am into the more recent television series.

The blog post I mentioned above stated that portions of The Cage are considered non-canon and continues: "The parts of the episode which ARE within established continuity are presented in the two-part Season One episode, 'The Menagerie.'" Based on your suggestion I will watch The Cage at some point, but thought I'd mention this to explain why I skipped it initially.

And now if you'll excuse me, next up: The Trouble with Tribbles.
benmrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 09:25 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Cage is much, much better than The Menagerie.
Old July 26 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Third Nacelle
Captain

This is pretty much the order I watch Star Trek in, it uses internal chronology rather than airdates:

http://thestartrekchronologyproject....r-trek_19.html

And I consider The Cage to be 100% canon, even if it is just headcanon.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
This is pretty much the order I watch Star Trek in, it uses internal chronology rather than airdates:

That's a great list! I'm going to print that out and follow it!
Old July 27 2013, 01:16 AM   #10
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

The Cage is possibly Star Trek distilled into its purest form. I have no idea why anyone would discourage you from watching it, much less declare it "noncanon."
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:39 AM   #11
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Completely agree here. The Cage is the best Star Trek you will ever see.

But, in my opinion, in whatever order you watch your Trek in watch it with friends.

Get some pizza and hot wings and sit with your bros and enjoy. Nothing like the audience experience.
Old July 27 2013, 02:48 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

A month ago on a family vacation my mother informed me she decided to finally watch DS9 and Voyager, in intertwining chronological order. DS9 seasons 1-3, Voyager season 1, DS9 season 4, Voyager season 2, etc.

She saw TNG when it first aired but never saw the other series.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:00 PM   #13
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Despite some references and the occasional crossover each series and movie is mostly self contained. So long as you know when each series or movie takes place chronologically you'll usually be fine if you just want to watch one at a time.

The Original Series & Animated Series
Movies 1-6
The Next Generation (Watch DS9 1x01 Emissary before TNG 6x16 Birthright)
Movies 7-10
Deep Space 9 (Watch Movie 7 before season 4)
Voyager
Enterprise
Movies 11-12
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:09 PM   #14
TheSubCommander
Commander

OMG! NOT!!!

The ONLY reason to watch The Cage is to be a completist. It is great fun to see the original pilot to the original show, and you may want to see it before seeing Where No Man Has Gone Before (the second pilot) but it is FAR from the best episode EVAR. You get everything you need to know about the Cage, in the Menagerie, so if you skip it, you miss nothing important.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Forbin
Admiral

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

I was wondering if there was a list like that out there. Crazy, man!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote