Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 23 2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Genetics / genealogy

Sector, Ancestry.com has a free family tree part to it. No idea how good it is.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:12 PM   #32
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Sector, Ancestry.com has a free family tree part to it. No idea how good it is.
I just checked it out. 14-day free trial, $22.95/month thereafter. If you want to add more than one parent, you must join. I'll have to pass on that for now.
Old June 24 2013, 01:28 AM   #33
iguana_tonante
Admiral

^ Iguana, my "Italian" genes don't go quite that far north, but, yes, all the way around the Mediterranean. My grandfather's family has been in Morlupo (Roma) for hundreds of years, my grandmother's in Cagliari.
Cool! Sardinia is really an interesting place, beautiful and strange at the same time. And Sardi are such a great people: they never fail to entertain!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Didn't you know? Everyone has a Cherokee Princess for an ancestor!
I don't. Curse me and my confined ancestry!
Old June 24 2013, 01:39 AM   #34
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Dare I ask just how they are entertaining?

I was there for a day when I was fifteen. Day trip in the midst of a week in Rome. Met the cousins, but that's about it. I'd love to go back someday. Everything I've seen online looks absolutely fascinating.
Old June 24 2013, 09:42 AM   #35
iguana_tonante
Admiral

As far as personal anecdotes and as generalizations go, they tend to be highly reserved, and incredibly ferocious at the same time. You rarely get to see what they really think, but when you do, it's a sight to behold.
Old July 26 2013, 04:39 PM   #36
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I want to take a look at the passenger lists for the port where my maternal grandparents arrived in 1922 or 23, and those are available only on microfilm, so I'll be spending a day at the public library soon. I wonder how many decades it's been since I used microfilm!
So it turns out that my grandparents arrived at an entirely different port than I'd thought! But now I have passenger lists and naturalization papers. I know the city where my grandmother was born -- also not where I'd thought! -- and the city where they were married. Baby steps.

Anyone here from Turkey?

My grandparents emigrated from Russia immediately after the revolution in October (November) 1917. They lived in Istanbul for five years before coming to the US. What I'd really love to find is immigration records for Turkey, but I doubt they even exist. There was just a tad of turmoil in the region at the time.
Old July 30 2013, 05:08 PM   #37
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

they'd have been in Turkey during the Liberation War (after the Greek occupation in 1919). It's not very likely that documents survived. On the other hand it's not completely impossible. How about writing to the authorities in Istanbul? Since there are so many tourists and the country applied for membership in the EC almost all clerks are to be expected to speak English.
German Wikipedia claims that there are still approximately 100 000 people of Russian origin in Istanbul. It's possible that you have relatives there
Old July 30 2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I can probably trace back my family's history on either side by two generations, but no more than that. What I know about relatives living here in the U.S. and in the Philippines, I've learned from a family tree that my mom showed me.

As for genetic testing, I had one done back in 2011 through the Genographic Project. I submitted specimens of cheek swabs and had my "deep ancestry" traced back on my father's side. I'm a member of Haplogroup M175, which means my deep ancestors were from Eastern Asia. No big revelation there.

Last edited by Gryffindorian; July 31 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 10:34 PM   #39
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

We've traced the family history on my mother's maternal side back as far as the Civil War. I had a great-whatever-grandfather who fought for the North (I've got a copy of his discharge papers). Not so much info on my father's side, although I did locate an Ebeneezer Hutchins who fought in the Revolution-- I hope he's an ancestor, because I'd love to be related to someone named Ebeneezer.
Old July 30 2013, 11:24 PM   #40
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Yes, that would be cool. It's a very ancestor-ish sounding name!

Gryffindorian, my maternal haplogroup wasn't very earthshattering either. I'm really only trying to go back far enough to figure out where that 25% Ashkenazi came from. My haplogroup isn't one of the ones that's almost always Ashkenazic, but it sometimes is Ashkenazic. So it doesn't help at all.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
they'd have been in Turkey during the Liberation War (after the Greek occupation in 1919). It's not very likely that documents survived. On the other hand it's not completely impossible. How about writing to the authorities in Istanbul? Since there are so many tourists and the country applied for membership in the EC almost all clerks are to be expected to speak English.
German Wikipedia claims that there are still approximately 100 000 people of Russian origin in Istanbul. It's possible that you have relatives there
That would be neat, but unfortunately it's highly unlikely. My grandparents were in touch with family in Russia until sometime in the 1930's. To the best of my knowledge, no one else in the family ever emigrated.

Right now I'm working on a lead in Russia. At least I know the language enough that I can write a simple letter in collaboration with my friends Mr. Google Translate and Ms. Dictionary.

Next project will be to figure out whom to contact in Istanbul. Thanks for the encouragement in that direction.

ETA: Doh. The Turkish Embassy in DC should be able to send me in the right direction. Better yet, there's an honorary consul right in Baltimore.

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; July 31 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old July 31 2013, 06:12 AM   #41
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

We've done the testing - my dad's side is in the I Haplogroup, which is in high concentrations in Scandinavia and the Balkans. His side goes all the way back to the 1600s in Bavaria, not far from the Austrian border. But given my dad and his dad and his grandfather were blond with blue eyes, I lean towards Scandinavian roots way back in time (not something I'll ever be able to prove).

Mom's side is J1B1, which supposedly routes out of Britain. My furthest back ancestor on that side is from Gloucestershire born around 1810, so that fits. I've not figured out her family to go back further in England - poor people didn't leave a lot of records. :/

I've recently discovered that in addition to my English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish (both kinds), German and Hungarian ancestry, that I also have Swiss and Austrian ancestry. I wouldn't be surprised to see French pop up at some point.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:35 PM   #42
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Gryffindorian, my maternal haplogroup wasn't very earthshattering either. I'm really only trying to go back far enough to figure out where that 25% Ashkenazi came from. My haplogroup isn't one of the ones that's almost always Ashkenazic, but it sometimes is Ashkenazic. So it doesn't help at all.
For me, it's quite interesting to meet people of mixed blood. Most Asians like myself have such a homogeneous background, as reflected by my DNA testing results.

I remember growing up in the old country, and whenever my parents helped me fill out an application (for school, immigration, etc.), it always asked for my race/ethnicity. Most people in my country would write down "MAL," and back then I thought it meant Malaysian. But it actually meant Malay or Malayo-Polynesian, which is part of the Austronesian subroup.

Now here in the U.S., the racial classifications are much different: White (non-Hispanic), Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American, etc. Sometimes there's even a separate category for Filipino, Japanese, or Korean, as though we weren't considered Asians. I suppose in a way, I could be a Pacific Islander.
Old July 31 2013, 09:21 PM   #43
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

And then there's the confusion caused by the term caucasian. I was once helping a few refugees from the former USSR fill out some form that asked for race, and when I told them to check caucasian, they got all indignant. "I wasn't born in the Caucasus!" Took a bit of explaining.
Old July 31 2013, 10:18 PM   #44
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Except for the census, I don't think I have ever had to identify my race on a form. Most forms do ask if you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander but Aboriginals don't have to tick yes if they don't want to. THere is also usually also a question asking if your first language in something other than English.

Even on the census, if I remember correctly the question is about your place of origin. For example a black American would only identify himself as American not as black.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 10:18 PM   #45
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I have a highly unusual maiden name. My family is mostly from the Netherlands (a great-great grandfather came from Switzerland, which is why my maternal grandmother had a German surname), but my maiden name is not Germanic. We think it has French origins, and one of my aunts tried to trace the name's origins. This was a good 30 years ago, and she got back to the 1700s, but there was still no sign of the name's origins. It's something I'd like to pursue some day.

Fun fact: my maiden name contains a silent letter thanks to a misspelling on the birth certificate of my great-grandfather. Every once in a while I come across a stranger with my maiden name, but as I know of every relative who has the same misspelling I know these strangers are not related to me, or if they are, they go way, way back.