Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 26 2013, 02:04 PM   #331
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Sure, the actors meet up and especially the guys got along fine. But that doesn't mean the set was a fun place. Garrett Wang in his Geekson audio interview says that the set often was tense because Mulgrew was unhappy with the direction the show had taken and she was taking it out on her fellow actors. Mulgrew herself admits that she was not happy (see above) and now Jeri Ryan in her Aisha Tyler interview has also said that she wasn't happy on set especially when she had scenes with Mulgrew.

Since Mulgrew was in a sense the leader of the company troupe as Stewart was in TNG and Bakula was on ENT, she basically set the tone. And that tone I've come to learn from these interviews was pretty grim. It's a shame, but as I have said above, to me these stories also say a lot about the producers and showrunners and their lack of passion for the show they were creating.
Old July 26 2013, 03:35 PM   #332
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Scotty wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
I'But what I don't get is why you ask as though this is something I pulled out of my butt when the only reason I'm talking about it is in response to your own words:

but Garrett Wang has been vocal about not getting to do anything on the show (not even directing an episode).
And I say yes he whines about this and you ask me what my source is? What is your source?
Source

I have a problem with how you phrase you comments and how you're characterizing Garret Wang as some kind of ingrateful crybaby that got exactly what he deserved. To me Garrett Wang was one of the first actors to honestly voice the creatively restricting conditions on Trek that IMO were huge part of the reason the show disappeared from television.
As soon as Garret said that they didn't let him direct because he was Asian, it was clear he wasn't playing with a full deck.

Prima donna in bubble, not banapants, but it amounts tot he samething.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 03:59 PM   #333
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I'But what I don't get is why you ask as though this is something I pulled out of my butt when the only reason I'm talking about it is in response to your own words:

but Garrett Wang has been vocal about not getting to do anything on the show (not even directing an episode).
And I say yes he whines about this and you ask me what my source is? What is your source?
Source

I have a problem with how you phrase you comments and how you're characterizing Garret Wang as some kind of ingrateful crybaby that got exactly what he deserved. To me Garrett Wang was one of the first actors to honestly voice the creatively restricting conditions on Trek that IMO were huge part of the reason the show disappeared from television.

"I was the first actor in ST hx denied the chance to direct"???

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/22/garr...voyager-movie/

You know, just being an actor on the show doesn't give one the right to direct. You show your willingness to learn the craft by sitting next to the Director or his/her AD or the Director of Photography whenever you have a free moment and bug the hell out of them re: which lens they are using, how to position a shot etc. In articles and podcasts, that was what Renee o'Conmnor did on her show "Xena: WP" until TPPB caught a clue and gave her 2 eps to direct in her 6 years.

RDM suggests a similar bar was used on the Star trek set.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/140801_02.shtml
Old July 26 2013, 04:01 PM   #334
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
As soon as Garret said that they didn't let him direct because he was Asian, it was clear he wasn't playing with a full deck.
Wang never said it was because he was Asian. He wondered IF it was a racial thing. Pretty big semantic difference. I suspect it was a personality clash. Berman and Wang disliked each other and I suspect I'm understating the situation slightly. Is there any reason to think that Wang was unable to direct an episode of Voyager besides that he's not punctual? Then it isn't a stretch to conclude that Berman just didn't want to give Wang a shot because he disliked him personally.
Old July 26 2013, 04:08 PM   #335
Scotty
Rear Admiral

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post

You know, just being an actor on the show doesn't give one the right to direct. You show your willingness to learn the craft by sitting next to the Director or his/her AD of Director of Photography whenever you have a free moment and bug the hell out of them re: which lens they are using, how to position a shot etc. In articles and podcasts, that was what Renee o'Conmnor did on her show "Xena: WP" until TPPB caught a clue and gave her 2 eps to direct in her 6 years.

Jonathan Frakes did exactly the same thing. Whenever he wasn't shooting scenes he followed the production process intimately to familiarize himself with it. He had to wait for about 2 years before het got the chance to direct The Offspring. I doubt that all Trek actors turned director had to wait THAT long for their chance. Sure being an actor on Trek does not give you the right, but for a show that's known for being supportive of actors wanting to direct, it sure is remarkable that he wasn't given the chance.
Old July 26 2013, 04:15 PM   #336
KaraBear
Captain

I've heard from many actors at many conventions that the set was a lot of fun. They often said tey ruined a lot of takes by laughing. They played a lot of pranks on each other and joked around a lot. There are a few famous stories, one people refer to as the pon farr story. I heard Garret Wang tell it and it was fun

in fact when DS9 actors are asked about life on the set, they say it was very serious for them "we weren't like the Voyager crew, we didn't goof around and have a lot of fun" Several DS9 actors have said that

and you know what.....so what if it wasn't super fun on the set. They're not really there to goof off. My job isn't super fun either
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:17 PM   #337
KaraBear
Captain

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post

Source

You know, just being an actor on the show doesn't give one the right to direct. You show your willingness to learn the craft by sitting next to the Director or his/her AD or the Director of Photography whenever you have a free moment and bug the hell out of them re: which lens they are using, how to position a shot etc. In articles and podcasts, that was what Renee o'Conmnor did on her show "Xena: WP" until TPPB caught a clue and gave her 2 eps to direct in her 6 years.

Roxann Dawson who directed two Voyager episodes said something similar. She said there was something along the lines of a "class" that you had to go to first.
Old July 26 2013, 05:53 PM   #338
teya
Vice Admiral

KaraBear wrote: View Post
Garret Wang was frequently late on set and was even suspended from a few episodes. He was suspended halfway through season 3 and was going to be released from his contract. He was supposed to die at the end of Scorpion part 1. But then he was in People's 50 most beautiful people so they kept him on.

as far as the set being unhappy, from all the conventions I've been to this is not true. They were always joking and playing pranks on each other. They even still meet a few times a year for dinner together.
The guys meet.

It's no secret that there was no love lost between Jeri and Kate. Garrett did a radio interview a couple of years ago where he said that Kate making Jeri's life miserable made the rest of the set miserable. Now Jeri's finally saying the same thing.
Old July 26 2013, 06:28 PM   #339
KaraBear
Captain

teya wrote: View Post
Garret Wang was frequently late on set and was even suspended from a few episodes. He was suspended halfway through season 3 and was going to be released from his contract. He was supposed to die at the end of Scorpion part 1. But then he was in People's 50 most beautiful people so they kept him on.

as far as the set being unhappy, from all the conventions I've been to this is not true. They were always joking and playing pranks on each other. They even still meet a few times a year for dinner together.
The guys meet.

It's no secret that there was no love lost between Jeri and Kate. Garrett did a radio interview a couple of years ago where he said that Kate making Jeri's life miserable made the rest of the set miserable. Now Jeri's finally saying the same thing.
I'm sure there were times when it was miserable. There are times at my job where it's miserable too.

But the Voyager cast is also well known for goofing around and having a lot of fun. Most of the cast members themselves have said that hey had a lot of fun on set. I've heard many stories over the years from the actors themselves about pranks they pulled on each other and funny things that happened on set.

You don't have to love all your coworkers. But most of them got along fine.

If Kate and Jeri didn't get along, then props to them for not letting it show on screen.
Old July 26 2013, 10:56 PM   #340
propita
Rear Admiral

I've heard from many actors at many conventions that the set was a lot of fun. They often said tey ruined a lot of takes by laughing. They played a lot of pranks on each other and joked around a lot. There are a few famous stories, one people refer to as the pon farr story. I heard Garret Wang tell it and it was fun

in fact when DS9 actors are asked about life on the set, they say it was very serious for them "we weren't like the Voyager crew, we didn't goof around and have a lot of fun" Several DS9 actors have said that

and you know what.....so what if it wasn't super fun on the set. They're not really there to goof off. My job isn't super fun either
This is exactly what Aron Eisenberg said at Galaxy Ball 2001. He played Nog on DS9 and the young Kazon in a VOY episode. He's aid DS9's set was, if not tense, then serious, while VOY's set was fun.

The fact that the men of VOY try to get together once a month shows there weren't a lot of hard feelings on the part of many of them. In fact, it tends to show that they were friends as much as co-workers, which is not that common. But it was, in many ways, "just a job" like many of the other acting jobs these people get.
propita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:57 PM   #341
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But as a gender men are not always planning their besties downfall, unless there's travelling pants involved.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 09:17 AM   #342
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I can totally understand Mulgrew's POV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:24 AM   #343
Mareika
Commander

Virginia Madsen (Oscar winning actress and Chakotay`s love interest from "Unforgetable") about being on Voyager:
"So much fun on board the ship."
http://instagram.com/p/aOp8vSA7c6/#
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 01:02 PM   #344
TheSubCommander
Captain

True, not everyone's entitled. But after Jonathan Frakes made the succesful transition from actor to director when the producers of Trek gave him a shot, they pretty much gave every actor who asked for a chance to direct a shot. Frakes, Burton, Stewart, McFadden, Dorn, Brooks, Auberjonois, Siddig, Russ, McNeill, Dawson, Picardo even guest stars like Andrew Robinson got a shot at directing after expressing an interest. Why the hell didn't Wang get one? If it's because he voiced criticism, that's a pretty petty reason. Why has Wang never directed anything since? All current Trek actor/directors got their break on Trek and continued on to other shows. I think it would be very hard to break out as a director on a new show. ___________
But if the producers felt one has to be able to act, before they can direct, that would explain why Garrote Wang never directed! Not to mention, Wang had no work ethic and was busy partying all the time. So why reward bad behavior and lack of talent?

Wang not getting any acting gigs post Voyager sort of proves that theory. I also find it ironic for all the bad mouthing of Voyager by Wang, that he is reprising his role on the fan project Star Trek Renegades.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:04 PM   #345
Scotty
Rear Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Why has Wang never directed anything since? All current Trek actor/directors got their break on Trek and continued on to other shows. I think it would be very hard to break out as a director on a new show. ___________
But if the producers felt one has to be able to act, before they can direct, that would explain why Garrote Wang never directed! Not to mention, Wang had no work ethic and was busy partying all the time. So why reward bad behavior and lack of talent?
Geez, I don't know where to start. First of all.... Garrote? Secondly, who says Garrett Wang can't act? Maybe you should at least admit that the writers hardly gave him any meaty material to sink his teeth in. But when he did get a well written episode, he really showed that he can act and was willing and able to go the extra mile. Examples? Non Sequitur, The Chute and especially Timeless. Thirdly, no work ethic? You and I are in no position to judge him on his work ethic. I never knew until Karabear mentioned it a couple of posts above, that Wang apparently was often times late for work. Was that because he was partying all the time? I don't know. Did he change his ways and started taking his work seriously? Apparently so, since he eventually stayed on the show for the entire seven season run. His desire to want to direct for the show to me seems proof that he was personally invested and interested in the show from a creative standpoint.

Wang not getting any acting gigs post Voyager sort of proves that theory.
How often do you see Gates Mcfadden, Marina Sirtis, Ethan Phillips or Robert Beltran on the screen after Trek? Almost never. Do they all have a poor work ethic? Of course not. There's probably a multitude of reasons why they never had big parts in the business again. Wang probably knew that Trek actors often have a hard time finding acting parts after their Trek stint. It's probably the reason why he and others wanted to direct. And while Robert duncan McNeill and Roxann Dawson have hardly acted at all since Voyager, they now have a steady jobs directing for some great tv shows.