Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 24 2013, 08:54 PM   #316
KaraBear
Captain

Re: Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post

Wasn't she in the sonic shower?
she had just undressed and was about to get into the shower. The better question is why was there a monitor in the bathroom?

the episode is Drone, the one where some of Seven's nanoprobes fuse with the mobile emitter and a futuristic borg is formed

Hasn't the phone ever rung when you were in the bathroom?
Well I don't keep a video phone in the bathroom.
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:01 PM   #317
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Your birthday is imminent. Stamp your feet and hold your breath until half your children buy you one, and the other half install it.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:27 AM   #318
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's like the time the EMH popped up on a monitor while B'Elanna was dressing (can't remember episode). She tries to cover herself, but he rather smugly says it's nothing he hasn't seen before. Wouldn't surprise me if he's as lecherous as Barclay on holodecks.
He's the only gynecologist (and urologist) aboard, for over 7 years. He has seen and touched everyone's everything.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:05 AM   #319
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Don't forget that he's the only abortionist too.

The only person not shagging without a net when the Kazon took over was Harry Kim crawling about Jefferies tubes keeping the ship together in one piece.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 03:48 PM   #320
Katie O'Clare
Lieutenant

I loved it when the EMH wanted to add some subroutines of historical characters and ended up pushing B'Elanna to her tolerance limits by always touching her thighs and getting excited while examining her stomach...some bedside manner...it was hilarious!
Katie O'Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:40 AM   #321
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Wow, I just listened to the relevant parts of that podcast and I really don't know what to think of Ryan's comments. I have no doubt she's being honest and by a process of elimination she can only be talking about Mulgrew. But I never realized how unhappy Ryan was.

But come to think of it, she wasn't the only one, was she. I've always known the Voyager set wasn't a happy one. Several actors have voiced their displeasure about the show, their character, the writers and the producers. I can't recall if Mulgrew every voiced any criticism, but Garrett Wang has been vocal about not getting to do anything on the show (not even directing an episode). Robert Beltran was incredibly honest during the production of the show about how he felt the show's focus had shifted to only two or three characters and that he too had very little to do. I recall reading interviews back in the nineties given to the official Trek magazine where he clearly said this. It's no wonder that McNeill, Russ and Dawson went on to direct, because they had very little acting challenges on that show.

I personally blame the writers and producers. They must have known about the problems on set. They knew that some castmembers were unhappy (even the fans shared their criticism). They did nothing about it. Mulgrew's behavior was very unprofessional, but I can imagine her underlying frustration.

Edit: Found this quote in an interview in which Mulgrew admits being unhappy and why. She has a point. Still, taking it out on Ryan was unfair.

How hard was it for you, personally, when, in the middle of the show’s run, Jeri Ryan arrived on the set to play Seven of Nine?

Mulgrew: I found that that was hard, Jeri notwithstanding. Certainly, I could see with my own eyes that she was a va-va-va-voom and beautiful-beautiful bombshell of a girl. Sexuality was brought into Voyager, and that’s what I resented. I chose not to use sexuality. I thought that if Paramount and UPN and Rick (Berman) were being exceptionally prescient and brave, they would give a woman a shot at commanding without sex. “Can we do this without sex?” There are always other ways. So I resented that and I was hurt by the immediate, extraordinary attention given to this character. The numbers went up. And I thought, “Ah, you can’t argue with a business decision and you can’t argue with sex.” That’s just part of life, but all of that is very difficult for a woman, particularly an actress like me. But it had nothing to do with Jeri.
Source
Old July 26 2013, 11:51 AM   #322
teacock
Admiral

Wang talks about how he didn't get to direct like no one let him have the good danishes during a break, like they STOLE THEM AND HID THEM FROM HIM goddam it.

Everyone isn't entitled to directing. If he was such hot shit at it why has he directed nothing since?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 12:42 PM   #323
Scotty
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Wang talks about how he didn't get to direct like no one let him have the good danishes during a break, like they STOLE THEM AND HID THEM FROM HIM goddam it.
Source?

Everyone isn't entitled to directing. If he was such hot shit at it why has he directed nothing since?
True, not everyone's entitled. But after Jonathan Frakes made the succesful transition from actor to director when the producers of Trek gave him a shot, they pretty much gave every actor who asked for a chance to direct a shot. Frakes, Burton, Stewart, McFadden, Dorn, Brooks, Auberjonois, Siddig, Russ, McNeill, Dawson, Picardo even guest stars like Andrew Robinson got a shot at directing after expressing an interest. Why the hell didn't Wang get one? If it's because he voiced criticism, that's a pretty petty reason. Why has Wang never directed anything since? All current Trek actor/directors got their break on Trek and continued on to other shows. I think it would be very hard to break out as a director on a new show.
Old July 26 2013, 12:45 PM   #324
teacock
Admiral

Source: see 100 conventions. It's one of his big points of whine.

And no I have nothing against the man, he is one of the best Trek con guests I've heard and I would happily see him again. But "oh wah wah they didn't let me direct" is pretty ridiculous. If he'd already ruined his cred with TPTB by being late all the time (which is apparently the case, no idea if true) why should they give him even more responsibility than showing up and mouthing a few lines?

He also complains that he is/was a wonderful comedian and they never let him do comedy on VOY.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 26 2013, 12:51 PM   #325
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Source: see 100 conventions. It's one of his big points of whine.
So, you have no source.

If he'd already ruined his cred with TPTB by being late all the time (which is apparently the case, no idea if true) why should they give him even more responsibility than showing up and mouthing a few lines?
If you have no idea if that's true, why mention it at all?

He also complains that he is/was a wonderful comedian and they never let him do comedy on VOY.
Wang's main criticism is that the humans on Voyager never behaved like humans. They rarely showed emotions of any kind and were discouraged to convery much emotion in their performance. He's right. The proof's on screen.
Old July 26 2013, 01:00 PM   #326
teacock
Admiral

I'm sure someone can come up with the details about the lateness, it's a common enough bit of trivia.

As to source, I heard it myself at a con. But what I don't get is why you ask as though this is something I pulled out of my butt when the only reason I'm talking about it is in response to your own words:

but Garrett Wang has been vocal about not getting to do anything on the show (not even directing an episode).
And I say yes he whines about this and you ask me what my source is? What is your source?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 26 2013, 01:13 PM   #327
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I'But what I don't get is why you ask as though this is something I pulled out of my butt when the only reason I'm talking about it is in response to your own words:

but Garrett Wang has been vocal about not getting to do anything on the show (not even directing an episode).
And I say yes he whines about this and you ask me what my source is? What is your source?
Source

I have a problem with how you phrase you comments and how you're characterizing Garret Wang as some kind of ingrateful crybaby that got exactly what he deserved. To me Garrett Wang was one of the first actors to honestly voice the creatively restricting conditions on Trek that IMO were huge part of the reason the show disappeared from television.
Old July 26 2013, 01:25 PM   #328
teacock
Admiral

To me it was whining. How many years later is it and you have tell a bunch of nerdboys "oh they weren't fair, they didn't let me direct! They didn't let me do comedy!" Wah wah.. and you know what, a lot of people lap it up because the think they are being let into some inner room full of Trek dirt when really it's just the same old same old you get in any office. But some con guests do play it up big.. and some are a whole lot more gracious about it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 26 2013, 01:25 PM   #329
KaraBear
Captain

Garret Wang was frequently late on set and was even suspended from a few episodes. He was suspended halfway through season 3 and was going to be released from his contract. He was supposed to die at the end of Scorpion part 1. But then he was in People's 50 most beautiful people so they kept him on.

as far as the set being unhappy, from all the conventions I've been to this is not true. They were always joking and playing pranks on each other. They even still meet a few times a year for dinner together.
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 01:36 PM   #330
teacock
Admiral

The guys all meet pretty regularly, up to once a month I think. They go out to dinner together.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne