RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,799
Posts: 5,325,816
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 440
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 22 2013, 10:26 PM   #46
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Imagine his full name appearing in the main titles:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

as Dr. Bashir
Sorry, I couldn't resist ...

Amazing name, by the way. I love it!

__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:29 PM   #47
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

^Well done.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:39 PM   #48
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

In terms of progressiveness, Star Trek may have been behind the real world, but it was ahead of network television.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:00 AM   #49
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

I find it interesting how actors pull strings in season finales. Brooks changed his ending some. I *think* some others did.

I know a couple on Nu-BSG did.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 12:09 AM   #50
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I find it interesting how actors pull strings in season finales. Brooks changed his ending some. I *think* some others did.
Brooks did it for two reasons:

1. He didn't want to perpetuate the stereotype of African American fathers abandoning their families.

2. He wanted to leave the door open for his character to return in the event of films or a TV movie.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 01:02 AM   #51
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
I think a black captain and woman captain will be as far as they take it. Disappointed they went back to white male for ENT.
Star Trek has always pretended to be forward thinking and progressive, but I'm not sure it ever was. Thinking that having a female captain was making a big bold statement in a time when powerful female CEOs were already commonplace showed me just how far behind Trek actually was.
I think you're wrong. There are women astronauts today who say they were inspired by Janeway.
I think that's great, but there were already female astronauts long before Janeway.
M wrote: View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist ...
Perfect
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:01 PM   #52
Trek Survivor
Captain
 
Location: UK
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Siddig was considered for the role of the captain, but was NEVER promised anything - either verbally or, more importantly, contractually - by Berman to that effect. Siddig did certainly not turn up to filming expecting to be Sisko! Honestly, the "Berman-Bashing" seems to permeate every thread around here!
__________________
Want an awesome read? Check out "Showdown: A Darker Evil Rising" on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Showdown-Darke...er+evil+rising
Trek Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:11 PM   #53
bbailey861
Admiral
 
bbailey861's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, ON
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

M wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Imagine his full name appearing in the main titles:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

as Dr. Bashir
Sorry, I couldn't resist ...

Amazing name, by the way. I love it!

That's great. I hope someone shows him this screencap. I'll bet he'd enjoy it.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:27 AM   #54
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

I doubt Siddig would have been as upset if it weren't a really dumb twist, or if it made any sense with his established character.

If anything it undermined the most likable things about him. He didn't achieve his successes because of dedication and hard work, he was another souped up Star Trek whiz kid. He didn't botch his pre ganglionic nerve because of his self sabotaging insecurities, he did it to throw people off the track. That took awesome things about Bashir and made them lame. It was a really, really bad twist.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:24 AM   #55
Trek Survivor
Captain
 
Location: UK
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I doubt Siddig would have been as upset if it weren't a really dumb twist, or if it made any sense with his established character.

If anything it undermined the most likable things about him. He didn't achieve his successes because of dedication and hard work, he was another souped up Star Trek whiz kid. He didn't botch his pre ganglionic nerve because of his self sabotaging insecurities, he did it to throw people off the track. That took awesome things about Bashir and made them lame. It was a really, really bad twist.
Really good points, completely agree.
__________________
Want an awesome read? Check out "Showdown: A Darker Evil Rising" on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Showdown-Darke...er+evil+rising
Trek Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 03:46 PM   #56
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore
 
TheRoyalFamily's Avatar
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I doubt Siddig would have been as upset if it weren't a really dumb twist, or if it made any sense with his established character.

If anything it undermined the most likable things about him. He didn't achieve his successes because of dedication and hard work, he was another souped up Star Trek whiz kid. He didn't botch his pre ganglionic nerve because of his self sabotaging insecurities, he did it to throw people off the track. That took awesome things about Bashir and made them lame. It was a really, really bad twist.
Really good points, completely agree.
And I completely disagree. I like that they made the super-genius, super-accomplished very young doctor have a character reason for being so (even if it was a retcon), and not just because plot. Now it made sense that this relative kid was up for major awards and curing incurable diseases, besides for the fact that he happens to be a major character on the show. The other shows got around that by other ways (either with an older, experienced doctor (TOS, TNG, ENT) or with a computer (VOY)), but DS9 didn't have that excuse until we got this reveal.
__________________
You perceive wrongly. I feel unimaginable happiness wasting time talking with women. I'm that type of human.
TheRoyalFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 05:08 PM   #57
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If anything it undermined the most likable things about him.
Depends on your POV, but to me this reveal made him more likable. He's not perfect after all. He's been forced to hide this secret his entire life or risk losing everything. He already had a strained relationship with his parents because of it. Our whiz kid doctor was severely flawed as a child, and his dad had him "fixed." Now he has to face this dark secret again. Now he has to tell his friends. Now he must live with the stigma. Suddenly there's a reason to have sympathy for the guy. And parents pushing too hard in one way or another -- now many of us can actually relate to him too. It was a beautiful episode that added much-needed depth to this character. And it also added a layer of humor to his relationship with O'Brien. IMO.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 11:55 PM   #58
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

Distant Voices is the episode that gave Bashir complexity, and the genetic twist paved over it.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 03:55 AM   #59
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander
 
Beta-Z's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

M wrote: View Post
Sorry, I couldn't resist ...

Amazing name, by the way. I love it!

Looks amazing!
Wish they would do this on the Blu-rays then.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 06:57 AM   #60
Terra Pryme
Fleet Captain
 
Terra Pryme's Avatar
 
Location: The Savage (not mirror) Universe
Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Distant Voices is the episode that gave Bashir complexity, and the genetic twist paved over it.
That's one of several episodes that prove that making Julian an enhanced human was DS9's biggest continuity problem. After all, the Lethean who telepathically attacks him certainly should have known his secret and used it against him in that episode.

Another episode would be "The Quickening" when Bashir said he was capable of sewing up his teddy bear at age 5. Since in "DBIP", he mentions he was enhanced around his 7th birthday, it's very unlikely he'd have been able to patch up the bear if he were deficient and uncoordinated 2 years before that.

You could even add "Q-Less" to the list if you play your cards straight. Someone as omnipotent as Q would certainly know the secret and could have slipped in a little hint in the scene he induces Julian to sleep over the remaining part of that episode. When the Doc departs from that scene, Q could have said something like "You're still inferior to the likes of me no matter what they did to you." Being it was in the first season, that would leave viewers wondering what he was talking about with the answer finally coming 4 seasons later.
Terra Pryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.