Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 31 24.80%
A 35 28.00%
A- 15 12.00%
B+ 25 20.00%
B 7 5.60%
B- 2 1.60%
C+ 2 1.60%
C 1 0.80%
C- 1 0.80%
D+ 1 0.80%
D 1 0.80%
D- 3 2.40%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.80%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23 2013, 04:50 PM   #211
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

DarthTom wrote: View Post
KGator wrote: View Post

Even if it made Transformers type money in China ($120 million) only a quarter of that would make it back to the studios.
Which is exactly why US movie studios are more concerned with the domestic box office totals.
Well yes and no. The domestic market is shrinking and prior revenue sources like DVD sales have dropped over a 3rd. Hollywood is making fewer movies but bigger "tent-pole" movies (giant budget films intended to support the bottom line like a tent pole).

There are also threats on the horizon like straight to streaming productions and a growing audience that doesn't go to the theater as much. It may not show right away but because costs of production have gotten higher (budgets) and revenue streams are being reduced the movie industry looks at foreign revenue as the lifeboat to save them. China by itself. The chinese box office has doubled in the past year or two and still has considerable room to grow. There's also the potential that home entertainment sales will grow in China as they decline in the US.

If a movie was big in China by the time a sequel is produced the revenue from that country could easily double and that doesn't count any renegotiation in box office split (that occured recently from 17% up to 25% and increased the number of big films which could be released).
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 04:53 PM   #212
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

[QUOTE=Noname Given;8417293]
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post

You're kidding, right?
Really?

No, if anything Hollywood is likely to see that the Conjuring made money and then ape the hell out of it. Why else are we getting all of these wanna be Twilight or Hunger Games movies right now. Beautiful Creatures? Mortal Instruments? These are movies coming out solely to try to rope in the same audiences. Hollywood doesn't understand why movies are successful. They just think they can copy elements from a successful film and have the same success. Beautiful Creatures failed, and so will Mortal Instruments.
Um, I didn't post what you have me quoted as stating. If you're going to use the quote system; please preview your post to make sure you're not mis-quoting someone as, I don't mind being hung for what I do post - but I hate seeing something quoted as coming from me that I DID NOT say.
Something is messed up with the quote function when dealing with nested quotes. How about you take your own advice before you attack someone, since you did it too, along with every other person that quoted on this page.
Old July 23 2013, 06:36 PM   #213
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

If a movie was big in China by the time a sequel is produced the revenue from that country could easily double and that doesn't count any renegotiation in box office split (that occured recently from 17% up to 25% and increased the number of big films which could be released).
It's no wonder that they removed the reference to the zombie plague being started in China in the film World War Z as to not offend the Chinese audience even though that is how it happens in the book.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 02:08 PM   #214
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

It's no wonder that they removed the reference to the zombie plague being started in China in the film World War Z as to not offend the Chinese audience even though that is how it happens in the book.
Exactly! That's the reason they removed that reference.

I would not be surprised to see a Pacific Rim sequel if the film makes $350-400 million worldwide. Because then it would be an established franchise with name recognition and a foothold domestically and overseas. Plus I think the big mistake that was made here was not advertising more to children and a larger toy line production. Graphic novels and such seem to be flying off the shelves. There's a lot of secondary marketting potential for a film like this (and sequels).

Movie studios far prefer to invest in known entities (prequels, sequels, books with large established fanbases, remakes, etc) than betting on original ideas. For example . . . who the hell did the Percy Jackson film rate a sequel? It lost money overall (at least $7 million as reported) and didn't fell short of a $90 million box office domestically.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to trim the budget for a Pacific Rim sequel some though just in case.
Old July 25 2013, 03:26 PM   #215
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Of course World War Z was still denied release in China sooooo . . . . . I guess it was an unappreciated gesture.
Old July 25 2013, 04:44 PM   #216
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

That's crazy. I thought those people had embraced capitalism.
Old July 25 2013, 05:32 PM   #217
sojourner
Admiral

China has funny taboos about how death/undeath is depicted in media. For example, the Chinese release of World of Warcraft had to be changed so that when your character died you didn't see a body, but instead it was replaced with a tombstone. I'm guessing they didn't take to well to the idea of being chased by corpses in a movie.
Old July 25 2013, 05:34 PM   #218
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Set Harth wrote: View Post
That's crazy. I thought those people had embraced capitalism.
Personally, I think their denial of Despicable Me 2 was for protectionist/corruption reasons. They are trying to protect their own movie industry's animated films (They cut short the Croods because it was making so much money) and someone on the ministry might have been "persuaded" to deny DM2.

I think WWZ was denied not just because the Chinese are very touchy about "the dead" as the ministry claimed but because they didn't want people hearing about or seeing the film and then reading the book which puts the Chinese government in a very poor light (China is where the zombie virus begins and is covered up by the government until its too late). JMHO

Last edited by KGator; July 25 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old July 25 2013, 05:36 PM   #219
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
China has funny taboos about how death/undeath is depicted in media. For example, the Chinese release of World of Warcraft had to be changed so that when your character died you didn't see a body, but instead it was replaced with a tombstone. I'm guessing they didn't take to well to the idea of being chased by corpses in a movie.
In fact, I believe some WoW MOBs that had a corpse-like or zombie appearance were changed to appearing as skeletons in addition to what sojourner mentions above - so yeah, I don't see Zombie stuff being released in China.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 12:05 AM   #220
Tulin
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Part of the reason Hong Kong Disneyland has no "Haunted Mansion" attraction. There are strange Chinese taboos about ghosts.

They DID, however, get the AWESOME alternative earlier this year, "Mystic Manor". Have a look;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqGwhee9GbY
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 05:36 AM   #221
JD
Admiral

I'd never heard about any of that stuff with Chinese and depictions of the dead before.

Mystic Manor does look pretty cool.
Old July 27 2013, 05:58 PM   #222
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I'd never heard about any of that stuff with Chinese and depictions of the dead before.
Me either. I guess you learn something new every day...
Old July 27 2013, 10:10 PM   #223
Mr Light
Admiral

Great movie! Really cool action scenes (though the ocean battle was a little hard to follow).

I really would have liked to have seen the very first kaiju attack as a full sequence rather than a recap. The shock and terror and the scrambling of conventional weapons to take it down.

I have two questions that might be be plot holes, or maybe I wasn't paying attention:

--why in the world did they think that building a huge wall around the Pacific Rim instead of building Jaegers would do anything? what's to stop the kaiju from breaking through the wall? what happens when it gets to the wall and manages to climb over it? even if it can't get past the wall, how are they going to kill it? if you shoot a bunch of missiles and nukes at it, won't you end up destroying the wall it's up against?

--at the end of the movie they establish that the portal only opens for kaiju, so for them to go through they had to have a kaiju corpse with them. then why did the life pods get through alone? I went into that scene assuming they were on a suicide mission. then they eject, and I wonder what's the point of that? you're still trapped in the hostile alien dimension. then they go through the portal, and I scratch my head.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 11:55 PM   #224
Pilot Ace
Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Great movie! Really cool action scenes (though the ocean battle was a little hard to follow).

I really would have liked to have seen the very first kaiju attack as a full sequence rather than a recap. The shock and terror and the scrambling of conventional weapons to take it down.

I have two questions that might be be plot holes, or maybe I wasn't paying attention:

--why in the world did they think that building a huge wall around the Pacific Rim instead of building Jaegers would do anything? what's to stop the kaiju from breaking through the wall? what happens when it gets to the wall and manages to climb over it? even if it can't get past the wall, how are they going to kill it? if you shoot a bunch of missiles and nukes at it, won't you end up destroying the wall it's up against?
The same reason some people and politicians want to build a wall along the Southern border of the US. They're stupid and it's a stupid idea. Pacific Rim made a joke.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
--at the end of the movie they establish that the portal only opens for kaiju, so for them to go through they had to have a kaiju corpse with them. then why did the life pods get through alone? I went into that scene assuming they were on a suicide mission. then they eject, and I wonder what's the point of that? you're still trapped in the hostile alien dimension. then they go through the portal, and I scratch my head.
I assumed to 'return' through the portal, backwards, you needed Kaiju DNA. To go forwards, to Earth, there was no safeguard.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 01:12 AM   #225
Mr Light
Admiral

<<I assumed to 'return' through the portal, backwards, you needed Kaiju DNA. To go forwards, to Earth, there was no safeguard. >>

that appears to be the case, but it really needed a single line in the movie to establish that. Charlie Day could have said the barrier was only on the Earth side. or when they eject, they could have said let's just pray the barrier isn't on this side too!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote