RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,224
Posts: 5,405,614
Members: 24,764
Currently online: 417
Newest member: beakel001

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 3 2013, 08:22 PM   #16
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

theblitz wrote: View Post
Could have got her hands on a Babel Fish.

Besides, if I were an alien, I would be only too happy to teach Hoshi a whole load of new conjugations.
Apparently this happened on Risa already lol
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 06:56 AM   #17
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Israel
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Apparently this happened on Risa already lol
Yep.
I wonder how many viewers were super-jealous.
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 07:19 AM   #18
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Humans appeared to be relatively late to the "Warp-capable civilization" party, so how come they're the only ones who thought to create a Universal Translator? What did all the other species do when they encountered each other before the Humans came along?
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 08:10 AM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Well the Vulcan's as depicted in ENT weren't exactly the sharing type.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 11:10 PM   #20
TheMightyQ
Ensign
 
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

When it comes to language in Star Trek, suspend your disbelief.
TheMightyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2013, 06:03 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
What did all the other species do when they encountered each other before the Humans came along?
Open fire?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:17 PM   #22
grabthars hammer
Captain
 
grabthars hammer's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post
What did all the other species do when they encountered each other before the Humans came along?
Open fire?

Really true ... seems there weren't too many races out there who were genuinely friendly with each other until the human-dominated Federation came along to make everyone play nice.
__________________
www.thedreadreport.com
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 08:31 AM   #23
JJohnson
Captain
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

It was enjoyable that in Enterprise it took a while for the translator to start working, though I imagine it should've taken a lot longer than it did, at which point I'm giving them a bit of a pass for dramatic license. It would be hard for the computer to translate 30 seconds of speech of a completely unknown language into English, without any context whatsoever - they could say "why are your eyebrows so bushy?" or "hello, we're the Xalaxians." Maybe the aliens know Vulcan already or the UT sends them messages in one of a dozen languages they do know already? If there's interstellar commerce then it's likely aliens have come up with a common language for commerce, much like Latin, French, and English have served on Earth.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 12:59 AM   #24
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
HOWEVER. It is the ONLY Star Trek series to actually ADDRESS THE ISSUE. [...]

For me, it was much more close to home for me as opposed to the magical almighty UT never failing ever. With 2 DS9 exceptions...but those exceptions lasted all of like 5 mins. Now that I think of it, also 1 or 2 VOY exceptions but those lasted even less time.
I imagine that Picard and Dathon would disagree that those were the only exceptions, or that rare exceptions lasted for more than a few minutes.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Kotik
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Nordschleifistan
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Well, the handling of languages in ENT is actually one of the more believable concepts, even though it still takes some suspension of disbelief. My theory about Hoshi has several components:

1. Hoshi is a genius. We see as much in "Observer Effect" and when she decodes the Xindi weapons codes. As a numbers and crypto whizz, she's also a programming genius by default, which would explain the rapid progress of the UT. But even after a year (at the time of "Precious Cargo") the UT still needed some time to riddle out an alien language. I suppose they just left out this "adapting phase" in later episodes as it simply didn't add anything new. We'd seen it already.

2. My suspicion is, that Hoshi also has latent telepathic abilities. That would go a long way to explain Hoshi's ability to riddle out alien languages.

3. We still look at ENT from today's technological perspective. The UT might only be a small device, but for all we know, it could beat today's Super Computers my magnitudes. Think about it. Today's mobile phones have more processing power than PC's of 20 years ago. And the time of ENT is still 140 years away.

4. When you learn foreign languages, the more you learn, the easier it gets. If you know Russian for instance, you unterstand Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Serbian and other slavic languages fairly well. Of course not everything, but you get the gist of most of what is said.
If we are to be believe TNG, all humanoid races developed from a proto-humanoid race, so there are connections even between wildly different languages.

All in all I think that the language concept in ENT was handled fairly believable.
__________________
"Are you planning to excavate this rectangular area?"
"Yep, I'm diggin' a hole, T'Pol"
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:39 PM   #26
JariM
Lieutenant
 
JariM's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Hoshi's Translating skills...

Kotik wrote: View Post
Well, the handling of languages in ENT is actually one of the more believable concepts, even though it still takes some suspension of disbelief. My theory about Hoshi has several components:

1. Hoshi is a genius. We see as much in "Observer Effect" and when she decodes the Xindi weapons codes. As a numbers and crypto whizz, she's also a programming genius by default, which would explain the rapid progress of the UT. But even after a year (at the time of "Precious Cargo") the UT still needed some time to riddle out an alien language. I suppose they just left out this "adapting phase" in later episodes as it simply didn't add anything new. We'd seen it already.

2. My suspicion is, that Hoshi also has latent telepathic abilities. That would go a long way to explain Hoshi's ability to riddle out alien languages.

3. We still look at ENT from today's technological perspective. The UT might only be a small device, but for all we know, it could beat today's Super Computers my magnitudes. Think about it. Today's mobile phones have more processing power than PC's of 20 years ago. And the time of ENT is still 140 years away.

4. When you learn foreign languages, the more you learn, the easier it gets. If you know Russian for instance, you unterstand Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Serbian and other slavic languages fairly well. Of course not everything, but you get the gist of most of what is said.
If we are to be believe TNG, all humanoid races developed from a proto-humanoid race, so there are connections even between wildly different languages.

All in all I think that the language concept in ENT was handled fairly believable.
I would say Hoshi's translating skills may be little bit stretched in "real life" terms but absolutely believable within the Star Trek context where characters often display exceptional abilities. Like you said she's a rare genius in that department.
JariM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.