Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old July 24 2013, 01:19 AM   #436
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Timby wrote: View Post
Cubs and Yankees are in preliminary talks for Alfonso Soriano.

Cashman's getting the band back together.
Man that is such a Yankee move. You must be one happy Cubs fan. Any idea on who the Yankees are trying to move?
Old July 24 2013, 01:57 AM   #437
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
This happened.
As I've said about fifty other times discussing that catch today: Awesome.
Eh. Like I said earlier, Heyward got a terrible break on that ball. Heyward's a decent-to-good right fielder that they're playing in center, next to an extreme statue in left and a guy who suddenly looks like a statue in right, so it's still not a huge knock on him; they're putting him in an impossible position (and that Braves outfield defense was why the Mets were on the board anyway).

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post

Man that is such a Yankee move. You must be one happy Cubs fan. Any idea on who the Yankees are trying to move?
The SI.com story indicates a "mid-level prospect".

The SI.com story says a deal is "close" and the ESPN.com story says a deal is "not close"

On one hand, Sori is a good guy and I'd like to see him in the big game, but I think the Yanks are in too much disarray for Soriano to give them all the push they need.
I'd imagine the Cubs would be getting a semi-decent AAA player in return, given how much of that contract they'll have to eat. It's just a move on the Yankees' part that doesn't make a ton of sense. Soriano isn't abhorrently awful but his only value comes against lefties, and there isn't really a roster spot for him -- they've got Ichiro's corpse, Vernon Wells' corpse and the constantly broken Granderson in the outfield, and they're still running Hafner out there at DH, so all Soriano can really be for them is a part-time platoon guy against LHPs.
Old July 24 2013, 02:34 AM   #438
Use of Time
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
This happened.
As I've said about fifty other times discussing that catch today: Awesome.
Eh. Like I said earlier, Heyward got a terrible break on that ball. Heyward's a decent-to-good right fielder that they're playing in center, next to an extreme statue in left and a guy who suddenly looks like a statue in right, so it's still not a huge knock on him; they're putting him in an impossible position (and that Braves outfield defense was why the Mets were on the board anyway).

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

The SI.com story indicates a "mid-level prospect".

The SI.com story says a deal is "close" and the ESPN.com story says a deal is "not close"

On one hand, Sori is a good guy and I'd like to see him in the big game, but I think the Yanks are in too much disarray for Soriano to give them all the push they need.
I'd imagine the Cubs would be getting a semi-decent AAA player in return, given how much of that contract they'll have to eat. It's just a move on the Yankees' part that doesn't make a ton of sense. Soriano isn't abhorrently awful but his only value comes against lefties, and there isn't really a roster spot for him -- they've got Ichiro's corpse, Vernon Wells' corpse and the constantly broken Granderson in the outfield, and they're still running Hafner out there at DH, so all Soriano can really be for them is a part-time platoon guy against LHPs.
Yeah, I just don't get how they look at the Rays, Sox and Orioles and say that Soriano is the guy that will get them over the hump. The Yankees just can't score. They are no longer bombers and wouldn't know the first thing about station to station baseball. CC is still a freacking work horse but no longer shut down ace material and he is about all they have. The fact that they are buyers is mind boggling but it is the Yankees we are talking about.

As far as the catch from Heyward goes, he was shaded to right center and the ball was hit off the end of the bat on a Kimbrel fastball. There will always be that second of judgement before you get on your horse in that situation just to see if he squared it up or just flared it to shallow center. Considering where he started and where he caught the ball it was pretty ridiculous ground to cover and lay out for. Reed Johnson was absolutely no help either.
Old July 25 2013, 02:46 AM   #439
Poinsettia
Commodore

As if the Braves need another injury, Huddy goes down with an ankle injury in the 8th with Eric Young.
Old July 25 2013, 02:52 AM   #440
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^Saw that too. So many things that could have broken/torn.You know it's bad when the opposing player involved runs right over.

Late 30s, past-prime, bloated contract player in exchange for depleting your farm system. Textbook Yankees.
Old July 25 2013, 03:20 AM   #441
Use of Time
Commodore

As if the Braves need another injury, Huddy goes down with an ankle injury in the 8th with Eric Young.
He isn't coming back either. That is a season ender. Looks like Beachy will have a spot after all as well as Wood.

With Maholm and Hudson down I can't help but feel that the Braves have become snakebit with injuries the last few weeks.
Old July 25 2013, 04:00 AM   #442
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Every time I think the Jays can't disappoint me anymore, they manage to blow a save on a bad bounce and then give up five runs in the top of the 10th.

When will they fire the freaking manager!!!
Old July 25 2013, 04:01 AM   #443
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

But nothing was as horrible as those Los Mets uniforms. I turned the game off, couldn't watch the Mets play in those uniforms.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old July 25 2013, 04:07 AM   #444
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

He isn't coming back either. That is a season ender.
Hudson is 38 and that's the leg he throws from. I would bet real money that this is a career-ending injury.
Old July 25 2013, 11:53 AM   #445
Use of Time
Commodore

He isn't coming back either. That is a season ender.
Hudson is 38 and that's the leg he throws from. I would bet real money that this is a career-ending injury.
That was my first thought as well. That could very well be his last game in professional baseball. It really sucks that a guy like Hudson has to go out like that after winning his fourth straight for a team that will most likely make the playoffs.
Old July 25 2013, 02:54 PM   #446
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
But nothing was as horrible as those Los Mets uniforms. I turned the game off, couldn't watch the Mets play in those uniforms.
I loved the orange jerseys, but I think the "Los" thing is just plain stupid. It's a cop out. Figure out what the word for metropolitan or city is in whatever language you're pandering to, and put that on the jersey. Also, why only cater to the Latinos? It's not like there aren't any other ethnicities that flocked to NYC.
Old July 25 2013, 04:22 PM   #447
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, the word would be Metropolitanos, which could be abbreviated as Mets.
Old July 25 2013, 11:49 PM   #448
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Put A-Rod back in the lineup. The fans and opposing players will make sure he knows he's a cheat. It'll be like when Bonds had a syringe thrown at him. He might say "Oh it doesn't bother me", but deep down it will. He'll never be a Hall of Famer and he might say "Oh, it doesn't bother me", but it will.

On the home front, anyone have a bag of baseballs that can we borrow to replace John Gibbons as manager? We'll even take a jockstrap; it would probably manage better.
Old July 28 2013, 06:27 PM   #449
Use of Time
Commodore

Ortiz had a perfectly reasonable reaction to a called 1st strike on a 3-0 count with a five run lead in the seventh. Yep, perfectly rational to destroy a visiting dugout's phone because you decided to take "ball 4" while the pitcher is still in his windup.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index...cted_smas.html
Old July 29 2013, 12:32 AM   #450
Sran
Commodore

Miguel Cabrera was ejected with the bases loaded for arguing balls and strikes. Jim Leyland came out to argue and was tossed, too. Apparently, the Tigers have had problems with Chad Fairchild, who was working behind the plate for today's game.

I watched the replay and don't understand why Cabrera was tossed- let alone that it happened in the middle of his at-bat. No, he shouldn't have been arguing balls and strikes, but it's not as though his behavior was demonstrative in any way. His mouth was moving, but that's all happened before Fairchild signaled his ejection.

Honestly, when is baseball going to start holding umpires accountable for this garbage? These guys will do almost anything to get their names in the paper, but they won't stand in front of TV cameras or microphones after the game and answer questions. Someone needs to do something. This nonsense is way past old.

--Sran