RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 387
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 25 2013, 12:15 AM   #91
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Cast the new Batman

When do we get a Namor movie?
Old July 25 2013, 12:45 AM   #92
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
When do we get a Namor movie?
As I recall, Chris Columbus was developing a Submariner movie a few years, but that seems to have sunk into the Development Abyss.
Old July 25 2013, 12:45 AM   #93
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It had better be a British actor or I'm boycotting this film!!!!!!!!!!

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:55 AM   #94
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
As I recall, Chris Columbus was developing a Submariner movie a few years, but that seems to have sunk into the Development Abyss.
Universal Pictures had the film rights to Namor for a long time. Columbus was attached to direct at one point and then he left the project and Jonathan Mostow came aboard. From what Kevin Feige has said lately it sounds like Universal's option on the Namor film rights has expired and the rights have reverted to Marvel.
Old July 25 2013, 01:21 AM   #95
arch101
Fleet Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
How about one just follows up on Dark Knight Rises and go with Joseph Gordon Levitt?

He's a very good actor, he's established and they heavily hinted at him taking up the suit at the end of the movie and it would tie in Nolan's movies with the greater DC universe.

The only drawback would be that he just isn't Bruce Wayne but if the script is solid i could overlook that.
I agree that Gordon-Levitt deserves the chance especially after the build-up at the conclusion of TDKR. Anyone who cares about comic book films will have seen that movie already so minimal exposition is required.
Old July 25 2013, 01:39 AM   #96
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Universal Pictures had the film rights to Namor for a long time. Columbus was attached to direct at one point and then he left the project and Jonathan Mostow came aboard. From what Kevin Feige has said lately it sounds like Universal's option on the Namor film rights has expired and the rights have reverted to Marvel.
Wasn't the Rock being considered for this role? I think he would have made an excellent Sub-Mariner.

Back to the thread at hand, I'd like to submit Rob Kazinsky (TruBlood, Pacific Rim). His performance on this season of TruBlood has him bouncing between dark and cunning to aloof and charming at the drop of a hat. A necessary quality for an actor to possess if he should play Bruce Wayne/Batman. Physically speaking, he's pretty built and six feet tall -- not as tall as Cavill but he wouldn't be peering up at him either.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Ian Somerhalder. Ever since his bait-and-switch role of "Adam Knight" on Smallville, I've felt he would make a pretty good candidate for Bruce Wayne. Though his casting must come with the condition that he limit the number of times he leers with his eyelids pulled back to their fullest. His eyes are a unique feature for him, but they don't need to pop out of their sockets for us to notice them.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:09 AM   #97
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Wasn't the Rock being considered for this role? I think he would have made an excellent Sub-Mariner.
That was the rumor, although nothing was ever officially announced about him being attached to it. He's bound to end up in a DC or Marvel comic book movie eventually. He was attached to star in Lobo and tentatively attached to be in a Shazam movie (either as Captain Marvel or Black Adam - it hadn't been settled which), but those projects got mired in development hell. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up playing Green Lantern in Justice League.
Old July 25 2013, 10:07 AM   #98
Sagart
Fleet Captain

junxon wrote: View Post
jason isaacs
Hello!
Old July 25 2013, 01:52 PM   #99
the G-man
Commodore

Ovation wrote: View Post
Jon Hamm would have been good 6-7 years ago. A bit too old unless they're going for an end of career Batman.
Unless the producers are dead set on a "year one" Batman (and given this, it sounds like they are proceeding with the idea that Batman has been operating for several years before the team up):

Hamm is only three years older than Bale and looks no older. He's approximately six years younger than Downey. If we can have a near-fiftysomething playing Tony Stark there is no reason Hamm can't play Batman.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 03:47 PM   #100
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It would need to be a very different take on Batman for Hamm to be able to use his charm to carry the movie the way RDJ carries Iron Man with his. I'm all for a mature and 'manly' Bruce, but it doesn't seem at all likely. Even Joe Manganiello is probably reaching the upper limit of what the suits are going to want to consider for a 3+ film deal.

I don't expect Coster-Waldau to get a call for much the same reasons, though he has the benefit of being on a hit genre show at the moment and looking younger than his years.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:36 PM   #101
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

arch101 wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
How about one just follows up on Dark Knight Rises and go with Joseph Gordon Levitt?

He's a very good actor, he's established and they heavily hinted at him taking up the suit at the end of the movie and it would tie in Nolan's movies with the greater DC universe.

The only drawback would be that he just isn't Bruce Wayne but if the script is solid i could overlook that.
I agree that Gordon-Levitt deserves the chance especially after the build-up at the conclusion of TDKR.
But Batman's supposed to be tall, dark and imposing. Who's going to look at JGL that way, besides maybe Peter Dinklage?
Old July 25 2013, 04:50 PM   #102
Dark Gilligan
Writer

arch101 wrote: View Post
I agree that Gordon-Levitt deserves the chance especially after the build-up at the conclusion of TDKR. Anyone who cares about comic book films will have seen that movie already so minimal exposition is required.
People are still confused by this. MoS is set in a different continuity than the Dark Knight trilogy. There is no JGL/John Blake/Batman in the MoS universe. There is only Bruce Wayne. The DK trilogy never happened. Granted, the new MoS Batman will be very, very, VERY similar to Bale's Batman because that's where the money is. But they won't be identical.
Old July 25 2013, 05:03 PM   #103
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
People are still confused by this. MoS is set in a different continuity than the Dark Knight trilogy. There is no JGL/John Blake/Batman in the MoS universe. There is only Bruce Wayne. The DK trilogy never happened.
If they can get Bale to agree come back then MoS will take place in the same continuity as Nolan's Batman trilogy. If they can't get Bale back then they'll reboot Batman and MoS won't take place in that continuity. Either route is open to them.
Old July 25 2013, 05:19 PM   #104
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Originally Abrams wasn't going to do Star Wars. Then they rolled up an aircraft carrier full of money or something and he was like "okay".
Old July 25 2013, 05:37 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Granted, the new MoS Batman will be very, very, VERY similar to Bale's Batman because that's where the money is.
I hope not. Over the decades, what's defined Batman is the degree to which he's been reinvented in different eras and adaptations. The Nolan Batman was radically different from the Burton/Schumacher Batman, which was very different from the William Dozier Batman (played by Adam West). In animation, Beware the Batman is extremely different from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which was extremely different from The Batman, which was somewhat different from Batman: The Animated Series, which was hugely different from the Batman of Super Friends and the two Filmation cartoon series. What makes a new version of Batman worth doing is the novelty of its approach, the addition of a new variation to the theme.

Copies are never as good as originals. If the new filmmakers just try to duplicate what Nolan did, they won't do it as well (even with Goyer involved in both, since the screenwriter has little power or control in Hollywood feature films). What they should do is what their most successful predecessors have done: break with the past and create a new Batman that's uniquely their own. That's what Burton did, that's what Nolan did, and that's what the makers of the best animated shows did. The one precedent we have for a Batman filmmaker staying close to what came before is Joel Schumacher, whose version of Batman was something of a hybrid of the Burton approach and the Dozier approach, and his films are regarded as the franchise's biggest misfires.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
If they can get Bale to agree come back then MoS will take place in the same continuity as Nolan's Batman trilogy.
Probably, but that's not entirely guaranteed. There are cases of the same actor playing the same character in more than one continuity; here's a TrekBBS thread listing a number of examples. Batman himself is such a character: Adam West has played him in several different continuities ('66 live action, Filmation animation, the Legends of the Super Heroes comedy specials, and the later Super Friends seasons), and so has Kevin Conroy (DC Animated Universe, Nolanverse Gotham Knight anime, Superman/Batman duology, Justice League: Doom, and various video games). Noel Neill played Lois Lane in the '48/'50 Superman serials and reprised the role on TV with a different Superman. Judi Dench has played M in two separate James Bond continuities.

And then there are cases where actors have appeared in multiple incompatible sequels to the same original work -- Christopher Lambert in the various Highlander sequels and the TV series, Don Adams in two Get Smart reunion movies and one revival series (and Barbara Feldon in two of the three) that were all mutually incompatible, etc. Although I guess those don't quite count because they all branch off from a common origin.

I'm not sure if there's ever been a case where the lead actor from one movie series has played the same role in a separate, rebooted one, though. Maybe some of the Universal monster actors who appeared in Abbott & Costello films? Not sure that's the best example.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote