TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2013, 08:09 PM   #451
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Whose to say it will get any new fans? Besides which, why would you use a pre existing property but not take advantage of it? Why make a Batman show thats not even really batman? This show will get one season, 2 at most, and then it will be gone. If even Young Justice can't make it, a generic cgi Batman cartoon won't, even with batman's popularity. I don't hate the show, or even particularly dislike it. The first two episodes kept my attention and were entertaining, they were just nothing special (not counting some of the different side elements, but action hero alfred/Fake Katana aren't bad enough to become memorably bad, they're just stuid). Being forgettable can be worse than being horrible, from a viewers perspective. Atleast the really bad stuff is usually memorable.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:12 PM   #452
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Damn, you must be a real killjoy at parties, man.
Old July 24 2013, 08:39 PM   #453
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Why make a Batman show thats not even really batman?
How is this not really Batman?
Guy in a Batsuit, whose parents were killed.
Bruce Wayne
Alfred
Katana
Professor Pyg--a Batman villain from the comics
Magpie--a Batman villain from the comics
A Batmobile
A Batcave
A Batcomputer
A Batman who is investigating
Gordon being Gordon...

How is this "not even really Batman?" This is MORE like the contemporary version of Batman than Brave and the Bold--which I love.

I get that you don't like this version, but to say it's "not even really Batman" is just plain silly hyperbole. Even for the internet.
Old July 24 2013, 09:10 PM   #454
davejames
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
How is this "not even really Batman?" This is MORE like the contemporary version of Batman than Brave and the Bold--which I love.

I get that you don't like this version, but to say it's "not even really Batman" is just plain silly hyperbole. Even for the internet.
Agreed. That is just a really bizarre argument to make. And even if it may not break much new ground story-wise, the tone and storytelling style is still MUCH closer to BTAS than any of the other Batman cartoons they've made since.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #455
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

Agreed. That is just a really bizarre argument to make. And even if it may not break much new ground story-wise, the tone and storytelling style is still MUCH closer to BTAS than any of the other Batman cartoons they've made since.
Yeah, I could see making an arguments about the choices, like Alfred being more mentor, gruff, less gentlemanly... I do miss the "Master Bruce" or the stylization of the animation, or whatever... but to say it's not really Batman... that's insane. It's Batman just like all of the other incarnations.
Old July 24 2013, 10:05 PM   #456
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Some info from Comic-Con:

*The episode screened at the panel has Humpty Dumpty. He's supposed to be creepy in it. Tobias Whale and Barbara Gordon also show up.

*Adam Baldwin will voice Metamorpho.

*There's a League of Assassins subplot running throughout the first season.

*Something near the end of the first season will push the boundaries of the censors

*No plans for Joker, Robin, or Catman.

*A second season has been approved and in production. A "Top Five" Batman villain will appear, who has the letter "D" in his name. Also expect some special voice guest stars.

For episode two did anyone notice the old Bat phone ring? When Bruce presses his watch to alert Alfred it's the old 60's bat phone ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...R_Rrf1c#t=779s
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 10:16 PM   #457
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
*Adam Baldwin will voice Metamorpho.
He's accumulating quite a DC repertoire. Jonah Hex, Hal Jordan, Rick Flagg, Superman, Parasite, now Metamorpho.

*There's a League of Assassins subplot running throughout the first season.
Maybe that recurring "A" symbol doesn't just stand for "Argus Club."

*Something near the end of the first season will push the boundaries of the censors
Hmm... supports my thought that maybe they're going to turn Barbara into Oracle. Hmm... maybe in this version it's Ra's that paralyzes Babs rather than the Joker?

*A second season has been approved and in production.
Excellent.

A "Top Five" Batman villain will appear, who has the letter "D" in his name.
Top five male villain with a D... only one who fits is Edward Nygma, aka the Riddler. Unless we've been spelling "the Djoker" wrong all these years... (Ooh... suddenly I want Enver Djokaj to play the Joker!)

For episode two did anyone notice the old Bat phone ring? When Bruce presses his watch to alert Alfred it's the old 60's bat phone ring.
Yup, I mentioned that the other day.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:02 AM   #458
kirk55555
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post

Yeah, I could see making an arguments about the choices, like Alfred being more mentor, gruff, less gentlemanly... I do miss the "Master Bruce" or the stylization of the animation, or whatever... but to say it's not really Batman... that's insane. It's Batman just like all of the other incarnations.
I really don't get the comparison to B:TAS. I mean, its a show with Batman in the title, and its not goofy silver age style fun like B&TB or anything, but thats pretty much the end of the comparison. The Batman is more like B:TAS than BTB is. The Batman had Robin, Batgirl, Alfred as a butler, and tha lot of the classic Batman rogues gallery (even if most of the designs weren't very good). There were a lot of differences, but still more similarities between them than BTB and B:TAS. As for a show being about batman, I need more than a guy in a Batman suit to call something a Batman show. Obviously it is technically a Batman show, but if you changed the costume and the characters names it could be any random superhero. Outside of names and cosmetic stuff it just doesn't feel too much like batman. Its hard to get more specific, but none of the characters feel right, and thats probably one of the biggest reasons it doesn't feel like batman to me. They decided they didn't like any familiar Batman stuff, so it just comes off as an average tv show that happens to use the Batman franchise, and not very well.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:57 AM   #459
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post

I really don't get the comparison to B:TAS. I mean, its a show with Batman in the title, and its not goofy silver age style fun like B&TB or anything, but thats pretty much the end of the comparison. The Batman is more like B:TAS than BTB is. The Batman had Robin, Batgirl, Alfred as a butler, and tha lot of the classic Batman rogues gallery (even if most of the designs weren't very good).
Beware the Batman, not only has Batman, but Alfred, Gordon, Barbara Gordon, Katana--who has long been associated with Batman, and villains that are also associated with Batman... so, I really don't understand this particular criticism. The show literally features the same characters that have appeared in almost every other Batman franchise...

There were a lot of differences, but still more similarities between them than BTB and B:TAS. As for a show being about batman, I need more than a guy in a Batman suit to call something a Batman show.
Like what? More of the same tradition characters that have appeared? Is that it?

Obviously it is technically a Batman show, but if you changed the costume and the characters names it could be any random superhero.
Really? So any random hero has his parents killed which motivates him to be a hero to save his broken down city, operates out of his mansion, has a butler who aides him on his war on crime, drives a car that resembles his costume, and has a strange rogues gallery that all seem motivated by madness... That basically ONLY describes Batman. What other super hero has those details?

Outside of names and cosmetic stuff it just doesn't feel too much like batman.
What SPECIFICALLY doesn't feel like Batman to you?

Its hard to get more specific,
SIGH.

but none of the characters feel right, and thats probably one of the biggest reasons it doesn't feel like batman to me.
An example would be nice. Bruce seems to be acting like Bruce. Gordon like Gordon. Alfred... yeah... this is certainly a newer version of him... But that's one out of the 4 major actors acting a little different.

They decided they didn't like any familiar Batman stuff, so it just comes off as an average tv show that happens to use the Batman franchise, and not very well.
The batcave, the batsuit, the batbelt, the batcar, Alfred, Wayne Manor, Gotham, Gordon, Barbara Gordon, Katana... yeah... they don't like ANY of the familiar Batman stuff.

Besides the same ole same ole rogues gallery, what "familiar" Batman stuff is missing?

Listen, I get that you don't like it, and that's cool. You don't have to watch. But to say it's NOT Batman because they aren't using "familiar" Batman stuff... that just doesn't make sense on the face of it.
Old July 25 2013, 01:25 AM   #460
Christopher
Writer

^Actually Gordon's different from the usual portrayal too, because he sees Batman as an adversary rather than an ally.

But as Murakami says, the whole point is to do Batman in a way that's not just the same old stories we've had before. It's a different take on Batman and his world, taking the familiar basics but going in new directions with them. This is Batman, same as always, but he's a young Batman who's still wrestling with balancing the two sides of his identity. This is Alfred, Bruce's loyal servant and father figure who happens to have a military-intelligence background, but with that part of his character shifted more into the forefront than it's usually been before. This is Jim Gordon, the good cop and loving father, but he hasn't yet learned to trust Batman. This is Gotham, the dark and dangerous city full of maniacs, but they're not the same old maniacs we've seen a million times before. And all of those differences from what we've seen before are what make it interesting.

For what it's worth, The Batman was the screen debut for a few characters too, including Black Mask, the Basil Karlo Clayface, a version of Cluemaster, Gearhead, Rag Doll, and Wrath, while its character of Ellen Yin was loosely based on Ellen Yindel from Batman: Year One and later comics.

Old July 25 2013, 01:35 AM   #461
sidious618
Admiral

Gordon not liking Batman isn't new either. A lot of Batman origin stories begin that way. Already we're seeing him starting to come around.
Old July 25 2013, 03:49 AM   #462
Christopher
Writer

^Sure, and Alfred having an intelligence background isn't new. The point is that the emphasis is different, and that's what makes it worth doing.

Really, I don't understand this hostility a couple of people here have to doing Batman in a way he hasn't been done before. That's exactly what B:TAS did -- it approached Batman in a way he'd never been handled in TV or film before, with some influence from Tim Burton's films but much more sophisticated and thoughtful and much more inspired by the Fleischer Superman cartoons and film noir. The Batman also tried to be different by presenting a younger, less seasoned version of the character who was more at odds with the police (at least initially) and presenting very different takes on the villains. The Brave and the Bold was extremely different by embracing Silver Age sensibilities and making every episode a team-up of Batman and another hero, and just generally being one of the wildest, freakiest, most daring shows around. Heck, even Adam West's Batman was extremely innovative, very different from the '40s serials and different from any preceding TV sitcom. Not to mention how different the Burton/Schumacher films were from the West Batman and how different the Nolan films were from the Burton/Schumacher. The history of Batman screen adaptations is a history of constant reinvention and deliberate departure from what has come before. BtB is no exception. So why are some people so surprised by that?

Old July 25 2013, 03:54 AM   #463
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So why are some people so surprised by that?
I don't think it's a surprise, I think some people feel there is only one "right way" to do Batman... they want to see, and only see, THEIR Batman.
Old July 25 2013, 04:00 AM   #464
Christopher
Writer

^Except Batman has been done so very many different ways over the decades. And many of them have been right.

Besides, that's not what they're saying. They're literally asking why anyone would choose to do a version of Batman that's different from previous versions. And that is a question that is rooted in a profoundly counterfactual premise.

Old July 25 2013, 04:45 AM   #465
sidious618
Admiral

I have very little patience for people who demand a show/book/comic to be only a certain way. Literature gets boring real quickly when people stick to one path. I think it's great that we can have the Batman of Year One, the Batman of RIP, the Batman of the Nolan films, and the Batman of TAS. Short of a version of Batman that kills, there's all sorts of legitimate ways to interpret the Batman mythos.