Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 25 2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Audition samples for the 12th doctor released

Penned by Steven Moffat

Pretty cool. Shame none of this will make it on screen.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-12th-do...ipts-51955.htm

1. INT. TARDIS

The new Doctor is checking out the new body. Clara, watching. It’s been a few minutes, they’re both still adjusting.

THE DOCTOR: Right then, eyesight. Not bad, bit blue. Ears – not pointy, right way up, more or less level. Face – well I’ve got one. Oh, no -French!
CLARA: French.
THE DOCTOR: I’ve deleted French! Plus all cookery skills, and the breast stroke. And hopping. Never mind hopping, who needs to hop. Ohh, the kidneys are interesting. Never had that before – interesting kidneys.
CLARA: Are you all right?
THE DOCTOR: I don’t know, do I look all right?
CLARA: I don’t know.
THE DOCTOR: How’s the face? Seems all right from the inside. Nice action, responsive. Bit less heft on the chin. How is it?
CLARA: It’s… okay.
THE DOCTOR: Okay?
CLARA: It’s a bit… you know.
THE DOCTOR: No I don’t, I haven’t seen it yet.
CLARA: Maybe it’s just new.
THE DOCTOR: Have you changed height?
CLARA: No.
Old July 25 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Audition samples for the 12th doctor released

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Really? It's utterly generic 11th Doctor material (try not hearing Matt Smith saying it). If that's what they're looking for we're in for another Doctor picked for Tumblr posters.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Really? It's utterly generic 11th Doctor material (try not hearing Matt Smith saying it). If that's what they're looking for we're in for another Doctor picked for Tumblr posters.
I don't know, I could picture Tennant, McCoy, Colin Baker, and maybe Paul McGann delivering a lot of it, and if you switch it around a bit for a slower mumbling delivery Tom Baker could deliver alot of it.

Yes, the Face is specific to Smith (Or maybe Tennant as well?), but, it's not the first time a Doctor has been concerned about or being fascinated by physical characteristics after Regeneration, I don't believe. (I'm sure there's been at least a couple lines before)

Plus, I think the idea is to give them something in the vane of what they've been doing, and see what the actors do with it, and maybe even the chosen one will have been inspiring in his/her/it's interpretation to bring in some ideas to fill in between what they have planned for an arc.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Candlelight
Admiral

I guess it'll be the first time a companion knows what to expect from a regeneration...? Clara's already seen the other faces so she knows what's coming.
Old July 25 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
I agree, the entire time I had to remind myself not to read that in Matt Smith's voice. But then, this is hardly indicative of what they have planned for the new Doctor, and indeed kind of fits with the other post regeneration scenes in the nu-series in which the new Doctor still has his predecessor's mannerisms. Smith seemed to be channelling Tennant in The End of Time, and Tennant was channelling Eccleston in The Parting of the Ways.
Old July 25 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I agree, the entire time I had to remind myself not to read that in Matt Smith's voice. But then, this is hardly indicative of what they have planned for the new Doctor, and indeed kind of fits with the other post regeneration scenes in the nu-series in which the new Doctor still has his predecessor's mannerisms. Smith seemed to be channelling Tennant in The End of Time, and Tennant was channelling Eccleston in The Parting of the Ways.
I'd argue that Smith was channeling Tennant as late as "The Big Bang," at least in Moffat's scripts.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I guess it'll be the first time a companion knows what to expect from a regeneration...? Clara's already seen the other faces so she knows what's coming.
Quite literally. If Clara saw all points in the Doctor's timeline, she should already have seen this face.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Anyone who reads those generics lines with Matt Smith's voice is doing so because they've been influenced by Matt Smith! Those lines are generic enough that you can read them in many different voices. It seems like they're looking for someone who can take those lines and give them their own personal flair!

Mr Awe

Last edited by Mr Awe; July 25 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I read through it a few times with various accents and mannerisms and paces and it is surprisingly flexible. It may not suit someone with a more subdued take on the character, but that is probably by design.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
The Stig
Rear Admiral

All I can hear when I read those lines is Matt Smith. Did he become 'my' Doctor when I wasn't looking?

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Anyone who reads those generics lines with Matt Smith's voice is doing so because they've been influenced by Matt Smith! Those lines are generic enough that you can read them in many different voices. It seems like they're looking for someone who can take those lines and give them their own personal flair!
Or they're generic because Moffat writes a generic Doctor.

No, that's not a criticism of Moffat. He's been honest about how he wrote Tennant the same way he wrote Eccleston, and how he wrote Smith the same way as Tennant. He sees the different incarnations of the Doctor as the same. If a line reads differently, it's because the actor brings something of himself to the line.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I've heard him say that in interviews as well. Must be great for the actors to not only be given the freedom, but encouraged, required, to give their own spin to the lines!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:56 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Stig wrote: View Post
All I can hear when I read those lines is Matt Smith. Did he become 'my' Doctor when I wasn't looking?
Yes. Yes he did.
Old July 25 2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Tom
Rear Admiral

the dialogue does not indicate they are casting a woman..

Doctor: "What! What!"

Clara: "What's wrong?"

Doctor: "My Penis, it's gone!!"

LOL
Old July 25 2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post

Thanks to a clever psychic trick the doctor is in your head now