Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 24 2013, 04:19 PM   #2131
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

^ You can also get a saddle by trading with a butcher, but it is a rare trade.
Old July 24 2013, 11:56 PM   #2132
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I've invested a lot of time in my current world, and I'd rather not just restart the whole thing just to partake in a few new goodies (like horses, or chests in Nether Fortresses, perhaps new biomes / mobs in future updates, etc.).
I've been playing my world since alpha and I see those new things as an opportunity for adventure. I had to travel 5km out to find horses recently and then had to drag two of them back home through a huge taiga forest. Thankfully, on the way I discovered a ravine with a dungeon embedded in the wall, and that had two name tags and some horse armour in it. I also had to head out into unexplored areas of the nether to get quartz. I find such expeditions to be a fun break from the usual Minecraft routine.
That's a good point. Now, if only I hadn't gone all over my world populating maps, then I wouldn't have to go so damn far for the new stuff!
Old July 26 2013, 03:03 AM   #2133
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Man this worlds really taken off. I've been breedign mules, and just healed my first zombie.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 02:58 AM   #2134
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

I've tried starting a new world a couple of times, but considering how much I've invested in building and exploring my current one, I just don't see the reason to change - even if it's got almost no villages, temples or Nether Fortresses within striking distance.
Old July 28 2013, 02:10 PM   #2135
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
That's a good point. Now, if only I hadn't gone all over my world populating maps, then I wouldn't have to go so damn far for the new stuff!
I actually edited my save file so I'd have large biomes, so I had to travel 13km just to find lily-pads. I like the large biomes because they feel more natural to me, and it certainly turned a mundane activity into an epic quest. But still, it was 4 real days of walking. Hopefully horses will make such journeys shorter in the future.

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
I've tried starting a new world a couple of times, but considering how much I've invested in building and exploring my current one, I just don't see the reason to change - even if it's got almost no villages, temples or Nether Fortresses within striking distance.
I feel the same way. My world is the first world in which I played survival Minecraft, and I was so noobish when I started it that I had to look up online how to chop down my first tree. I spent my first night in a small wooden shack on a beach, in complete darkness because I didn't even have torches. That shack became a small wooden house, then a run-in with a creeper encouraged me to upgrade it to a cobblestone house. I built a second story, then I expanded it into a keep, that keep became a fortress, and that fortress formed the centre of a village.

I've tried playing on multiplayer servers, and I've tried starting new worlds, but whenever I think of something new to build I always end up wanting to build it in my main SP world. Hopefully the game will keep me coming back for many more years, because I'd love to see how different my world will be at the end of this decade.
Old July 28 2013, 09:37 PM   #2136
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

So, I started a new world and I didn't get any flint. Seriously? Is that just bad luck? Good thing I activated the bonus chest, otherwise I wouldn't have had much to work with. Looks like I'll have to go find some flint, but it will be hard with not many torches.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 05:19 PM   #2137
B.J.
Rear Admiral

So the 1.7 snapshot dropped today, and it looks sweet! Lots of new biomes, new flowers, a few new blocks, new stuff to fish for, and many other changes. I'm going to need a new world to play around with this one.
Old September 5 2013, 07:19 PM   #2138
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

NewWorld4?

Old September 6 2013, 03:33 PM   #2139
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm liking the new biomes, but I hope they take this as an opportunity to add some new biome-specific mobs. The ice-spike biome is calling out for a hostile yeti mob, and there could be ogres or something in the podzol forests. And passive mobs shouldn't spawn in every biome, finding cows and such in a jungle is a little silly. Even skin variants would go a long way to adding some variety, such as pigs with boar skins in forests and woolly-looking cows in snow biomes. There's something like 16 different variations of horses in the game, why not show the other animals some love?
Old September 6 2013, 03:59 PM   #2140
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ I agree with you there about more biome-specific mobs, but I have no problem with the cows and pigs being just about everywhere. Actually, now that I think about it, about half the existing mobs already spawn in specific areas. But I would like some skin variants. Actually, since my computer does much better when I install Optifine, I have the capability to add multiple skins for each mob, it's just a matter of finding (or making) ones I like.
Old September 6 2013, 04:58 PM   #2141
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

They don't need to remove certain animals entirely from certain biomes, just make variants for each species so that they fit in better. Cows as they are now can continue to exist in plains and the like, cows in jungles can be white with horns, cows in the snow can be woolly brown, and so on. They would have the same drops, the same sounds, and the same AI, but the visual difference would help to make the biomes feel distinct. You can try and collect each variety if you want (for a zoo or whatever) but you don't have to if you just want a beef farm as all cows are functionally the same. It adds variety without increasing complexity.

Biomes were something I really looked forward to when they were introduced three years ago, but they were so half-assed at the time that I was left disappointed. There have been steady improvements since then, especially with the biome changes in the adventure update, but I still don't feel that biomes have lived up to the potential of the concept. If 1.7 is to be the biome update, I'd like them to go back and add some additional variety to the existing biomes, but I fear that all they're planning is to add some new biomes and some new blocks to go with them.
Old September 6 2013, 08:43 PM   #2142
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm liking the new biomes, but I hope they take this as an opportunity to add some new biome-specific mobs.

That's why I like RandomMobs as it gives a sense of variety, but I do wish it could be carried over to not just mobs, but to animals as well. But yeah, more variety in the types of mobs would help. I'd love to see bears and mountain goats. Bears could be found in small caves or nooks around the world, while you'd only find mountain goats on snowy peaks that could try to headbutt the player if they got too close to them. The problem with simply adding more biomes is that it doesn't make the game any more playable. It just fragments the gameplay even more, if that makes any sense. As it is, the biomes we have now just don't have the feeling of having many uses other than being for looks, and they don't feel very dynamic. They feel empty. We have villages, why don't we have explorers that you can sometimes find while exploring that you could possibly team up with for some spelunking now that it's gotten a bit harder? Players should feel like there's a return investment with the time they put into the game.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; September 6 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 11:18 PM   #2143
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

I've been playing Minecraft for about 2 months now, but I had to try out the latest snapshot with its new biomes. Loving it so far, especially using the AMPLIFIED world type when creating my new world.
Old September 7 2013, 09:31 PM   #2144
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Yes, the Amplified world is just nuts. Though its easy to become trapped in the mountains. They're just too darn big.

This is the first time I've acually been able to try out a new snapshot. Kudos to the new Launcher interface that makes it so much easier to switch back and forth between versions.

I'm hoping they'll find new uses for the various flowers other thn just dyes. Perhaps make them into new potion ingredients?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:28 PM   #2145
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
That's why I like RandomMobs as it gives a sense of variety, but I do wish it could be carried over to not just mobs, but to animals as well. But yeah, more variety in the types of mobs would help. I'd love to see bears and mountain goats.
Notch seemed to have a rule that new items added to the game had to have a function somehow, so any new animals would either have to drop an item used for crafting or aid the player somehow (like wolves). He didn't seem to like the idea of implementing purely aesthetic animals or blocks. Jeb has begun to display a willingness to move away from Notch's vision for the game in that regard and has introduced some purely aesthetic blocks in recent updates, and bats are the first animal in the game that exist purely for looks. Hopefully this means some more animals will come with the biome update even though they probably wont have a use. I think some African animals would be cool in the new savanna biome.