TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 19 2013, 02:46 AM   #76
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

Sran wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The Blazers are exploring trade options for LaMarcus Aldridge because it is clear he will not re-sign in 2 years.
This is interesting. Any indication where he might end up?

--Sran
Chicago passed on him already. Stupid, in my book. He and Derrick Rose would be ready to win a title together (although they would have to give up Joakim Noah).
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:49 AM   #77
Sran
Commodore

Chicago passed on him already. Stupid, in my book. He and Derrick Rose would be ready to win a title together (although they would have to give up Joakim Noah).
I tend to agree. Aldridge would be a great fit with the Bulls. Losing Noah would be tough, but if the Bulls amnesty Boozer as planned and allow Deng to walk, they'll have cap room to sign another player next summer and build around a new core of Rose, Aldridge, Butler, etc.

--Sran
Old July 24 2013, 02:54 AM   #78
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

NBA Trade Rumors: Asking Price Will Keep LaMarcus Aldridge in Portland

According to Chris Haynes of CSN Northwest, the Portland Trail Blazers met with LaMarcus Aldridge to discuss a potential trade. Aldridge was reportedly unequivocal, saying that he doesn't want to be traded, but wouldn't be opposed to a potential deal.

In the end, Portland's asking price will keep Aldridge in Portland.

Haynes reports that the Trail Blazers are targeting Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Kevin Love and Joakim Noah as compensation for trading Aldridge. As it presently stands, each of those player's respective teams has been unwilling to deal its franchise player.

Thus, all signs point towards Aldridge remaining with the Trail Blazers.

Aldridge currently has two years and remaining on his contract, making $14,128,000 in 2013-14 and $15,256,000 in 2014-15. Drafted No. 2 overall, Aldridge has certainly done enough during his seven-year career to warrant the money.

Unfortunately, that means Portland will not trade him unless the value is right.
Nate Robinson has joined the Denver Nuggets, letting yet another good player out of the Chicago Bulls' locker room. Someone asked if Byron Mullens had joined the Clippers yet, I was wrong, he hadn't, but he has now, with a 2-year contract. The Golden State Warriors won the Las Vegas Summer League title this week. Team USA is holding camp right now and Coach K is back on the bench, going for the third-straight Gold Medal in the 2016 Olympics. Jermaine O'Neal has joined the Golden State Warriors, Dj Augustin has officially joined the Toronto Raptors, Many suitors still out there for Mike Miller, who was amnestied by the Miami Heat earlier this offseason. Greg Oden has met with the Miami Heat and is weighing his options on a comeback.
Old July 24 2013, 02:56 AM   #79
Dream
Admiral

Will the Lakers be able to make the playoffs next season?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:13 AM   #80
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
I think that depends on Kobe Bryant. The Western Conference is very competitive and with an aging Pau Gasol, no Metta, and Kobe's health in jeopardy, I don't know.

I think the Clippers are the favorites to win the West, with Oklahoma City not far behind. San Antonio is probably 3rd in the Conference. Houston could flip-flop with San Antonio. Golden State and Denver are still there. The Pelicans look a lot better on paper this year. Memphis will probably be a 7 or 8 seed. Utah and Phoenix look much improved.

It depends on Kobe.
Old July 24 2013, 04:24 AM   #81
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think the Lakers are able to make the playoffs, but I doubt they want to squeak in when they can get a favorable pick in a good draft instead.
Old July 24 2013, 08:16 PM   #82
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
I think that depends on Kobe Bryant. The Western Conference is very competitive and with an aging Pau Gasol, no Metta, and Kobe's health in jeopardy, I don't know.

I think the Clippers are the favorites to win the West, with Oklahoma City not far behind. San Antonio is probably 3rd in the Conference. Houston could flip-flop with San Antonio. Golden State and Denver are still there. The Pelicans look a lot better on paper this year. Memphis will probably be a 7 or 8 seed. Utah and Phoenix look much improved.

It depends on Kobe.
As of a week ago the front office confirmed that Kobe is so far ahead of schedule in his rehab that, barring any setback, he could be back for the preseason. He has always been a fast healer.

I think the Lakers could realistically slip in at 7th or 8th if we stay healthy and D'Antoni doesn't screw it up. The Grizz aren't going to be as good this season, I don't think, Rox will need time to jell with Dwight, who knows about Denver with George Karl, a coach I never liked, gone. Look at last season, I think we ended up wih the 6th spot agaonst all odds.

The Lakers, unlike other francises, will never tank for a high pick. It's just not in the nature of this franchise.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 10:34 PM   #83
Alidar Jarok

Andrew Bynum talking about Cavs fans:

"I just know that they’re really, really passionate, and I haven’t had the opportunity to play for a city that is really just gonna stand up and really support the team, I’m super excited and I can’t wait to see what it’s like."

Unfortunately for him, he won't likely to know what it's like in Cleveland either given his knees are shot so he isn't going to play for them either. I'm assuming the "play" is important and it's just a shot at Lakers fans, but it's nice to burn bridges with the only people who still like him.
Old July 24 2013, 11:50 PM   #84
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I think the Clippers are the favorites to win the West
I never thought I'd hear those words spoken. I got into basketball in the good old days of the early 90s and they've been a joke since long before that.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 07:51 PM   #85
gblews
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Andrew Bynum talking about Cavs fans:

"I just know that theyíre really, really passionate, and I havenít had the opportunity to play for a city that is really just gonna stand up and really support the team, Iím super excited and I canít wait to see what itís like."

Unfortunately for him, he won't likely to know what it's like in Cleveland either given his knees are shot so he isn't going to play for them either. I'm assuming the "play" is important and it's just a shot at Lakers fans, but it's nice to burn bridges with the only people who still like him.
You know, I don't think Andrew was taking a "shot" at Lakers' fans even though the statement could be construed as such. That just wouldn't be in Andrew's nature. He does have a penchant for saying what is on his mind without filter.

What he is likely referring to is the Lakers' fans well known (and deserved) reputation for not getting "all that" excited about regular season games (unless we're playing the Celts sometimes).

The fans don't get crazy until it is "money time" -- the playoffs. Cleaveland fans, as well as any number of other fanbases around the league, are nuts from the opening tip in October. This, I think, is what Drew is talking about. So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.
Old July 25 2013, 08:06 PM   #86
Alidar Jarok

Well, that's a very charitable interpretation of never playing for a city that's "really going to stand up and really support the team." But it's directed at you, so you're entitled to interpret it how you want and add a "during the regular season" to it if you want to.
Old July 25 2013, 09:49 PM   #87
gblews
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, that's a very charitable interpretation of never playing for a city that's "really going to stand up and really support the team." But it's directed at you, so you're entitled to interpret it how you want and add a "during the regular season" to it if you want to.
Because after several years I feel like I kinda know the kid. Since he was traded a year ago he has not said one thing against the Lakers, the city of L.A., or Lakers' fans. He could have made this same statement in his first press conference in Philadelphia, but he didn't.

Andrew has shown that he can be vindictive in some of his actions on court but he has not shown a propensity for using words to show resentment or anger especially from a distance. This is what Shaq spent so many fruitless hours doing after his trade to Miami.

Drew is just not the same type of guy.
Old July 26 2013, 12:10 AM   #88
Sran
Commodore

^I'd agree with that. As immature as Bynum seems to be, he's not prone to the cheap-shots that O'Neal regularly fired at people after leaving teams. His anti-Lakers comments are especially memorable, from calling Jerry Buss an "old man" to referring to Kobe Bryant as "that guy" or "the other guy." He also talked about his Lakers career as though it was something that happened in the distant past even right after he was traded, always starting sentences with "back when I played with the Lakers..."

--Sran
Old July 31 2013, 10:11 PM   #89
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Well, my Pistons made a move again. Brandon Jennings was sent to the Pistons via a sign-and-trade with the Bucks for Brandon Knight, Slava Krastov, and Khris Middelton (who turned in some big performances towards the end of last season).

The current starting five looks like this:

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Greg Monroe
C: Andre Drummond

My reaction is that Jennings is an upgrade over Knight at this point. Jennings, much like Billups before him, will have to change his game for the Pistons to become an elite-level team, but stranger things have happened. For the short-term, Jennings is 23 and further along in his development than Brandon Knight. He's young and experienced. He's been to the postseason. He has a 55-point game in his career.

But this is more an indictment of Knight, then it is that I'm happy about Jennings. Knight has no jumper to speak of. He can drive to the lane with the best of them, but teams can sag off him and leave him, and when Knight and Stuckey were on the floor, the two of them used to get in each other's way around the rim. The offense flowed when Will Bynum was at the point because he can do things, athletically, that Knight doesn't do.

There was no floor spacing with Knight. Now, being fair to Knight, the Pistons didn't have the best people developing him nor is he a finished product at this point. His development, although I think his ceiling is lower than Jennings, will determine the outcome of this deal. Even if the Pistons win a Championship, if Knight is All-NBA, this will be the Darko corner of that title. This is a risk, but one that I think Joe D had to take.
Old August 19 2013, 07:10 PM   #90
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/08/16/w...s=iref:nbahpts

Pekovic has re-signed with the Wolves.