Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2013, 09:14 PM   #436
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Ithekro wrote: View Post
Most companies today release subtitled anime or subtitled anime with their dubbed track. Aside from older anime, ever since DVDs came about I've seen English dubde anime that still retains a subtitled track in Japanese. At that was from the 1990s. Well and I suppose heavily altered anime from an old property (Transformers).

Maybe something changed in the market, but I've not bought a American DVD released anime for five or six years (Galaxy Railways and Full Metal Panic were the last new anime I purchased locally).
well, the ease with witch subtitled anime is freely available on the internet pretty much doomed the North American Anime of DVD market (not judging, just stating what I've seen talked about as to why many of the NA companies and distributors - some Japanese backed; effectively called it quits in the U.S.)

Funimation survives by licensing stuff to the Cartoon Network; and has an Anime channel on some cable providers; but there's really not a lot of Anime on the market per se compared to the late 1990ies - 2005 or so in the U.S. Those that want it know how/where to get it for free, and there's not a lot of more mainstream appeal to support companies trying to bring it direct to DVD/Blu-Ray in the U.S. these days.

There are a few others that survive too. The big problem was the fact that the fans wanted it right now, not 2 yrs from now. So the internet as you said did a lot of harm to the industry for selling DVD's. In the last few yrs, the companies are trying to get the licenses for the first run series as they air so that they can release them, or stream them before the yr is out, or simulcast them. The internet has woken a lot of companies up to say lets also put it on the internet since their is an overseas market, and we can effectively put the pirating of the shows on a very short leash. So far it has worked for a few of the popular series but fansubbers are still out there doing their own sub when there is an official sub.

As with SBY2199, if whoever licenses it in the US, they should know what to do so that it can be put on the air. Cartoon Network's toonami on Adult Swim is the only logical place to air it. Otherwise it will only be either streamed (Neonalley) or put on a channel like Funimation channel which is only in a few cable markets.

Last edited by RangerH; July 10 2013 at 09:33 PM.
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 07:39 AM   #437
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Most companies today release subtitled anime or subtitled anime with their dubbed track. Aside from older anime, ever since DVDs came about I've seen English dubde anime that still retains a subtitled track in Japanese. At that was from the 1990s. Well and I suppose heavily altered anime from an old property (Transformers).

Maybe something changed in the market, but I've not bought a American DVD released anime for five or six years (Galaxy Railways and Full Metal Panic were the last new anime I purchased locally).
It depends.

For example, Persona 4: The Animation was dub only because of reverse-import fears. The DVD had dual audio because we are in a different DVD region than Japan, but since we share regions in BD, they have to worry about that.

Of course, you have the Aniplex stuff where Rightstuf will only ship to certain countries (ie, anywhere that isn't Japan), but who knows.

My dream release would be unrealistic, but would satisfy everyone. Dual audio + subtitled commentary tracks from the JP releases.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:32 PM   #438
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take a look at this:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...w-opening-song

It looks like SBY2199 will have a second theme song starting on Sunday.
Old July 16 2013, 07:17 PM   #439
Ithekro
Commander

We are still wondering if their will be new opening animation to go with it.

Also there will be another showing of Star Blazers 2199 at Comic Con this weekend with dubs by Bang Zoom. We should get a full report on that one from multiple angles.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:00 PM   #440
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like there are people out there that do not like the new opening sequence for SBY2199!

I did see the clip, but I fail to see their rational. Putting in clips of eps is sometimes a good thing, in others a bad thing. But time will tell.
Old July 21 2013, 04:23 PM   #441
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

More because the new OP is done by a J-Pop band considered "safe" for the MBS timeslot.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 07:21 PM   #442
Ithekro
Commander

The OP doesn't seem to fit the show, seems to be the main thing. Some are off on spoilers, but to be honest clips for Opening songs have been around a long time. That this one didn't show up until episode 16 might be something, and it only has clips up to episode 18 in it. Episode 19-22 don't come out on BD until Friday.

Star Blazers had clip opening and ending. The shots for the Op for season 2 were almost all from episode 25 of that series.
Old July 24 2013, 01:48 AM   #443
Ithekro
Commander

Here is the new OP by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9VknkMg8Q

Also some clips from episode 20 and 21 (probably spoilers but that kind of goes without saying):

Torpedo bombers against Yamato and dogfighting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MMu6xK-ado

Post-battle recon flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-nwaV5gAVs
Old July 24 2013, 04:29 AM   #444
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Wow! WTF are they thinking? As an old/original Yamato fan, IMO this new opening absolutely sucks balls. Utter garbage.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:57 AM   #445
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

For TV, I suppose it makes sense. There's probably a music video to go with it!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 02:03 PM   #446
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I hope they bring back the original song. This is like having a pop song for a theme to a Star Trek series

-Chris
Old July 24 2013, 05:44 PM   #447
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post

Wow! WTF are they thinking? As an old/original Yamato fan, IMO this new opening absolutely sucks balls. Utter garbage.
Yamato airs on the MBS Sunday 5:00 PM slot. This is kinda how they do things. Putting in J-Pop bands, trying to broaden the appeal to houses wives and fangirls. I'm surprised they didn't tell the writers and directors to edit the female characters down to background scenery because too much female presence might be considered inappropriate for the timeslot.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:00 PM   #448
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

As much as I love anime and studying the Japanese culture, legends and mysticism, there are still some things I will never fully understand.
Old July 24 2013, 07:24 PM   #449
Ithekro
Commander

The original OP is still on the BD version of the episodes and the theatrical releases.

An even more spoiler laiden clip form episode 21.

Do not watch if you don't want to be spoiled. This is about a delivery to a Gamilas prison world of a very special guest and the reenforment of how race has a pecking order in the Empire. (also that Commander Wulf is really a good guy under that mustache...and a badass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbmJzTT6Z3c
Old July 26 2013, 12:20 AM   #450
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The original OP is still on the BD version of the episodes and the theatrical releases.
^^^
Nice to know I won't have to suffer fast forwarding through the 'new' titles when my Vol. 6 Blu-Ray arrives (was just e-mail notified they shipped it from Japan yesterday (Wednesday.) I should have it by next Tuesday.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote