Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 24 2013, 04:13 AM   #436
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
I think this screencap is screaming for a widescreen extension for a desktop wallpaper! http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...st-planets.jpg
Fortunately this one is super easy!
Drool!
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 04:46 AM   #437
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure if I'm surprised at the complaints Trekcore had for the upcoming special features. It almost seems like on this season the features are kind of an afterthought. Yeah I know the biggest reason is to see TNG remastered, but I've been loving the new features for each set and even I had to look up what exactly these features were. It's disappointing there isn't anything on Wheaton leaving but hopefully that might come in Season 5, since he was on two episodes. Also, I'm not sure if I'm looking foward to a talk with the Arts department. Yeah they do a great job, but how many times do we have to hear a monotone Dan Curry talk about matte paintings. I would have rather loved an indepth conversation regarding the music of the series, or maybe talk to some of the guys from ILM and talk about the shift from Models to CGI over the years.

Also, maybe a good feature might be "Remastering 101". Yeah they kind of did this for Season 1, but everyone is talking about various remastering techniques and for someone who doesn't know what "Grains" are other than crumbs of wheat, something like this could be interesting. I do know it might have been a missed opportunity to not have a representative from Modern Video or HTV talk about trying to duplicate CBS-D.

I guess now that TNG is running on all cylinders, and the "Honeymoon" period is wearing off, what more can they do with special features to keep them at top quality? I know for Season 4, no one is talking about these features and like I said, I even had to go look to see what they are. I still want to be excited for the extra material, but speaking to the Arts department for the 100th time isn't all that exciting.
Old July 24 2013, 11:02 AM   #438
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I'm inclined to agree with TrekCore that the digital recreation of Junior's birth in Galaxy's Child doesn't look very good.
Old:
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...yschild158.jpg

New:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...hild-birth.jpg

I'd call that an upgrade, regardless. I just think it needed some some grain added. Oh well.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 05:32 PM   #439
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I guess it's just after what we saw them do with the Crystalline entity it's a little disappointing. It's certainly not a deal breaker for me though.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 06:06 PM   #440
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I guess it's just after what we saw them do with the Crystalline entity it's a little disappointing. It's certainly not a deal breaker for me though.
Well to be fair we didn't see "them" do it. Remember CBS Digital did Season 1, but Season 4's CGI is Modern Video's work, not CBS-D.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:03 PM   #441
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

There are no screenshots yet of it, but I would assume CBS-D shared their Crystalline Entity render with Modern Video so that they didn't have to recreate it.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #442
trekker670
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
There are no screenshots yet of it, but I would assume CBS-D shared their Crystalline Entity render with Modern Video so that they didn't have to recreate it.
I think you're thinking of the S5 episode "Silicon Avatar," which will be done by CBS-D. We're currently comparing the CG work done by CBS-D (the crystalline entity) with that done by Modern Video (the space aliens)
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 07:18 PM   #443
NewHorizon
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I thought the Crystalline Entity didn't reappear until Season 5?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:42 PM   #444
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Looks like they didn't fix the LCARS graphic in "Brothers" that displays Data's super long security code. I thought for sure they would fix that to match Patrick Stewart's voice. I wonder if the Okudas mention why they didn't change it in the commentary track. Hmm...

What would be even funnier is if they talk about how they changed it but somehow the changed shot didn't make it into the finished episode! Anybody listen to the commentary at that point yet?
Old July 24 2013, 09:55 PM   #445
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Well to be fair we didn't see "them" do it. Remember CBS Digital did Season 1, but Season 4's CGI is Modern Video's work, not CBS-D.
I know. It's just that when you see what is possible it is disappointing not to see that level of quality maintained.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 12:01 AM   #446
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I think you're thinking of the S5 episode "Silicon Avatar," which will be done by CBS-D. We're currently comparing the CG work done by CBS-D (the crystalline entity) with that done by Modern Video (the space aliens)
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I thought the Crystalline Entity didn't reappear until Season 5?
Whoops, you guys are right. I'm getting the seasons mixed up.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 01:21 AM   #447
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Nope, I like the new childbirth sequence much better. It's just obvious that's early 90s cgi in the old one...as good as it was for the time.

RAMA
Old July 25 2013, 01:25 AM   #448
trekker670
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Nope, I like the new childbirth sequence much better. It's just obvious that's early 90s cgi in the old one...as good as it was for the time.

RAMA
I think that's the problem, it's not the CGI from the 90s, it's new, recreated by Modern Video, but it doesn't hold up compared to today's CG or even the model work.

That said, I do believe that the new version is an improvement over the original, just that it could have been better.
Old July 25 2013, 02:03 AM   #449
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Best Buy ad is out:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4 $64.99 w/U&S coupon ($69.99 regular price)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Redemption $14.99

Looks like a price match to Target is going to be the best deal once again (minus the $10 off which BB probably won't honor):

Save $10 instantly when you buy both Star Trek Blus below
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4 $59.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation Redemption $12.99
Old July 25 2013, 02:35 AM   #450
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Looks like a price match to Target is going to be the best deal once again (minus the $10 off which BB probably won't honor)
Some will some won't, it's always worth trying. I've never had a problem having my local Best Buy do the price match, but it may have something to do with the Target being right across the street