Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2013, 11:13 AM   #346
MPH
Rear Admiral

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

If the power is back off then I won't be watching as it will be just more of the same.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 03:57 AM   #347
JD
Admiral

As one of the few people who actually really enjoyed Season 1, I'm looking forward to it. That trailer was pretty great IMO.
I'm actually glad that they appear to be turning the power back off, since the lack of power was one of the things that made the show interesting.
At the same time it is a little annoying that they did turn it on, and then appear to be flipping the switch and turning it right back off again. I'm hoping they blow up The Tower, so we can focus on conflicts and motivations other than turning on the power.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 02:33 PM   #348
Tom
Rear Admiral

Monroe: "The game has been completely changed after the fall out of the nuclear holocaust,"
Look like Aaron was not in time to stop at least the Philly missile, but I would bet he turned the power off in time save Atlanta.
Old July 22 2013, 06:20 PM   #349
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

While I'm kind of pissed they are going to turn the power back off - at least according to this aricle - it's amusing that they will introduce a group called the, 'Patriots,' which is not so suttle of a reference to the Tea Party.

The 'Patriots,' are described as a group who cloak their evil intentions around patriotism.

I wonder how long it will take conservatives - especially conservative talk show hosts like Sean Hannity et al. to pick up on the parody?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:43 AM   #350
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I noticed that right away too. I wonder if that was the intention all along with Randall's "I'm a Patriot" line, or they decided to add this extra layer to that after they started work on the second season.
Old July 23 2013, 04:12 AM   #351
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

They had already added that layer in by the end of Season 1; between Flynn's "I'm a Patriot" and the obvious implication that it was the folks in Guantanamo Bay who ordered him to nuke Philly and Atlanta so they could take over.
Old July 23 2013, 07:23 AM   #352
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

Kestrel wrote: View Post
They had already added that layer in by the end of Season 1; between Flynn's "I'm a Patriot" and the obvious implication that it was the folks in Guantanamo Bay who ordered him to nuke Philly and Atlanta so they could take over.
How are the Patriots (supposedly US president in exile) going to invade the former United States if there's no power?

Sailing ships, horses and 19th century-style cavalry?
Lyon_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 02:23 PM   #353
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Worked for Monroe.
Old July 23 2013, 03:12 PM   #354
Tom
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Worked for Monroe.
It took time to for Miles and Monroe to build the militia, and during that time there were a lot of post-blackout confused people that they easily recuited.

Now you are 15 years later, the country is split into five governments. At least the Monroe Republic is decimated, but we are not sure about Georgia yet. For an outside source to come in an invade would be pretty difficult if the power was back off.

I would imagine the 'Patriots' were stockpiling weapons and equipment for when Randall made the power come back on. Now if Aaron turned the power back off that would put a dent in there plans I would guess. I would wonder if Randall supplied the Patriots with pendants or something similar as a backup plan.
Old July 24 2013, 01:39 AM   #355
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The President (If it's still the same guy from before the blackout.) is an idiot is he has to use forces of arms to take back HIS country. A Populist uprising is simple, he says "Dude, I'm in charge, I've always been in charge, can you think of any reason why I shouldn't be in charge?"

By force of will, righteousness and manifest destiny, all opposing armies will drop their old flags, and sign up with the real president because he is the president, and you're a jerk, a criminal and a communist to say otherwise.

It's just a question of how the President will explain the nukings.

1. A terrible accident, I take full responsibility for.

2. I did it because those guys were assholes.

3. There's a vicious enemy I have been fighting for you for the last 17 years, and this is what they have done to you, and they're still at large, but for you my fellow Americans I will continue to hunt these vile bastards who blacked out the country and then nuked it when I had finally got the power back on, because they hate you as much as I love you.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 02:28 AM   #356
JD
Admiral

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
How are the Patriots (supposedly US president in exile) going to invade the former United States if there's no power?

Sailing ships, horses and 19th century-style cavalry?
They showed them at a port filled with old fashioned sailing ships in the finale. As long as they are on equal footing I don't see where it would be that hard for them to invade. It's only aproximately 228ish miles from Havan to Miami, so I don't see it being unreasonable when they appeared to be using the same types of ships people sailed around the world hundreds of years ago.
Old July 24 2013, 03:09 PM   #357
Tom
Rear Admiral

Still you need numbers when you are just walking in to invade a country. No planes, no cars, etc..
Old July 24 2013, 06:03 PM   #358
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's not an invasion.

Daddy has been away for a bit on a trip.

All they need is radio.

Besides if you give an army something to fight, it's going to fight.

He just needs every one to think that it's in their best interest to sway to federal control while still retaining the right's they hold as independent states.

He's a reformist.

The President brought the light back.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 04:03 AM   #359
JD
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Still you need numbers when you are just walking in to invade a country. No planes, no cars, etc..
But people didn't have those things when they were invading other countries before electricity, so I don't see why not having them would matter after.
Old July 25 2013, 12:36 PM   #360
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The President (If it's still the same guy from before the blackout.) is an idiot is he has to use forces of arms to take back HIS country. A Populist uprising is simple, he says "Dude, I'm in charge, I've always been in charge, can you think of any reason why I shouldn't be in charge?"

It's worth remembering that Lincoln made the same argument but those pesky southeners had a different idea on who was in charge.

The larger question IMO is electricity - essentially nationwide communications and travel - the only thing that can bind a country as large and as diverse as the United States?

The Romans managed to control nearly a global empire without it.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote