CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 24 2013, 12:42 AM   #736
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Killerprise wrote: View Post
This Enterprise's appearance is based on the refit therefore the glowing dome is a sensor.
It's not 1979 anymore.
If you want to ignore the fact that the bridge itself takes up a significant chunk of the model behind that big window then that's your choice.

Oh look, it's a room at the front of the deck, with plenty of room behind for the domed lobby and corridors. Also getting an odd sense of deja vu.
I'm very sure about it, if the sickbay and transporter room were on the same level as the bridge they too would be sticking out of the hull. We're talking about a Constitution class starship here, the bridge sits higher than everything else yet with a trick of the camera they made it seem like the Bridge Transporter Room and Sickbay are all on the same level which is physically impossible. This isn't the original Enterprise though, this is a mess of ship where locations don't add up or anything.
ALL the sets on ALL of Star Trek's ships are on the same level.

OMG physically impossible TOS is ruined!
I like this picture, especially how it shows the nav/helm console being approximately 10 feet away from the viewscreen window and implying that the ceiling apparatus is directly under the dome.

Last edited by Killerprise; July 24 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Killerprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:07 AM   #737
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I was saying, approximately ten feet away from the view window.......

http://judebgallery.files.wordpress....pg?w=950&h=633

[Image converted to link. Pics posted as embedded images must be hosted on your own web space or on an image-hosting account registered to you. - M']

(much larger version)
http://judebgallery.files.wordpress....5/img_7714.jpg

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 24 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: hotlinked image
Killerprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 09:57 AM   #738
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^The helm/nav stations are 9 feet from the window on the set, and would be irrespective of the overall size of the Enterprise. You completely failed to realize that the size of the window (40ft x 7ft) in the hull indicates a ship of 2380ft.

So the bridge and it's window, like engineering, the warp core, the atrium, communications, the weapons bay, the shuttles and the shuttlebay all require an Enterprise of at least 725m/2380ft.

Last edited by F. King Daniel; July 24 2013 at 10:10 AM.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 10:36 AM   #739
Belz...
Fleet Captain

This Enterprise's appearance is based on the refit therefore the glowing dome is a sensor.
I don't think you have the first clue of how to make a logical inference. Let's see what's wrong with this short sentence:

1- You have no clue what the designers intended.
2- We clearly see in the movie that it's not a sensor.
3- The design is actually based on both the original and TMP versions.
4- It doesn't follow that every single element will be of the same nature even if (3) were granted. And that's even if the new design was _identical_ to the TMP one.
5- You don't even know if the original design had a sensor dome, because the only sources claiming that it is are unnofficial.

Wow, that's a lot of wrong.
Old July 24 2013, 10:42 AM   #740
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I like this picture, especially how it shows the nav/helm console being approximately 10 feet away from the viewscreen window and implying that the cieling apparatus is directly under the dome.
All I can say is that, if you truly believe this, you have a serious problem with perspective, because it's very obvious from that picture and many others that the dome is 10-20 meters further back.
Old July 24 2013, 10:53 AM   #741
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

If he thinks the reboot Enterprise is bad, imagine if we had gotten Ralph McQuarrie's (star destroyer looking) refit for TMP/Planet Of The Titans.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:14 PM   #742
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^The helm/nav stations are 9 feet from the window on the set, and would be irrespective of the overall size of the Enterprise. You completely failed to realize that the size of the window (40ft x 7ft) in the hull indicates a ship of 2380ft.

So the bridge and it's window, like engineering, the warp core, the atrium, communications, the weapons bay, the shuttles and the shuttlebay all require an Enterprise of at least 725m/2380ft.

So in your opinion every room is huge and exactly the same size, gotcha. I love the badly photoshopped image too.
Old July 24 2013, 01:29 PM   #743
F. King Daniel
Admiral

So in your opinion every room is huge and exactly the same size, gotcha. I love the badly photoshopped image too.
You mean the "badly photoshopped image" that proves everything you've been claiming to be wrong? Look back at your own attempt to fit the bridge set into the dome and see how much wider the window is compared to the pics from the movie that we (including you yourself) have been posting.

Now, care to tell me how the engineering section seen here...

...fit's into the >30 meter wide secondary hull of a 366m Enterprise? Because I keep asking, and you've apparently got nothing at all.

Last edited by F. King Daniel; July 24 2013 at 01:51 PM.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:56 PM   #744
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't know where to put these and I can't pm them to you since I'm new, enjoy.

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Su...%20with%20crew
Old July 24 2013, 02:16 PM   #745
F. King Daniel
Admiral

That's a different Enterprise from a different timeline. How is it relevant to the one in the new movies? Everything from the viewscreen to the shuttles to engineering etc. is obviously now much bigger than the versions in The Original Series, and the outside is too.
Old July 24 2013, 02:39 PM   #746
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The primary shuttle design we see used is 12 meters long, the shuttle bay carries two rows of them either side, two stacked, mirrored across the bay.

Each berth is therefore about 12.5-13 meters long shortest, with a gap across the bay of nearly twice that. The shuttlebay width at its widest (not even the widest part of the secondary hull) is around 75 meters.

Engineering looks to be much wider than that, the width where the main brewery machinary is located at the heart of the seconday hull closer to over 100 meters across.

Two shuttles parked nose to nose would be 24 meters themselves, making it 3 meters either side of them just at the widest point of the old Enterprises hull. Look at screencaps of the bay from TOS-R, park them nose to nose and there's actually not much room either side of them either in the old ship.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:45 PM   #747
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's a different Enterprise from a different timeline. How is it relevant to the one in the new movies? Everything from the viewscreen to the shuttles to engineering etc. is obviously now much bigger than the versions in The Original Series, and the outside is too.

I just showed you images someone did that all but since you want to be an asshole about it I won't show you what I have that proves that the ship is 366 meters and no it's not from bernd's site either.
Old July 24 2013, 03:47 PM   #748
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I just showed you images someone did that all but since you want to be an asshole about it I won't show you what I have that proves that the ship is 366 meters and no it's not from bernd's site either.
Since the creators of the material say its 725 meters, I'm going to go with what they say.
Old July 24 2013, 03:48 PM   #749
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

It would be a nice start if you provided anything. Two movies of visual evidence, information directly from the designers of the ship and most all deduction based on analysing the ship from the interior sets points to the 725m size, whereas you have given us...nothing.

Sorry but that doesn't help what point you're trying to make, and your overly defensive, rude, condescending and insulting language makes us care very much less about it anyway.

Last edited by Chemahkuu; July 24 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 03:58 PM   #750
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Warning for flaming. Comments to PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote