Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 23 2013, 08:09 PM   #3376
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I don't think they're an "Into Darkness" line, per se, as much as they're from nuTrek in general. They probably would have included "John Harrison" with the initial offering of Kirk and Spock.
Old July 23 2013, 10:46 PM   #3377
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The placecards were cut off in the other link, but here you can see that they seem to be intended to be a part of an "Into Darkness" line. These are prototypes as mentioned, so if they are planning more for future waves, they might not have been ready for display last week. Or these two are possible test beds for future waves.

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=view...00&start=0&sl=

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 11:15 PM   #3378
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

PAK has never really gone deep in any lines have they? Usually just 1 or 2 big characters. It's most likely that Kirk and Spock are it.
Old July 23 2013, 11:23 PM   #3379
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah it's usually just one or two big figures. This might be it...I'm just surprised that we're even getting these frankly. They look pretty good for prototype models.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:07 AM   #3380
Redfern
Commodore

I had a bit of luck this afternoon. I own a few of the Clayburn Moore sculpted comic book heroines like WitchBlade, Fathom, Lady Death and Purgatory, but I was never lucky enough to find my first "crush", Vampirella, imagined by the venerable Forrest J. Ackerman. The figure (and variants) were released around 2000, but my local comic shop never got the durn things.

Anyway, a discussion about a proposed Hammer Films adaption of the property (that never got beyond selecting an actress to play the role, Barbara Leigh) reminded me of that omission from my collection. So on a lark I ran a Google search just to pull up some photos of the long out of production figure. I noticed an eBay listing. Oy, how much was the "scalper" asking? I went to the page. With shipping and everything, about 28 bucks. Shoot! I'll pay nearly that much for the forthcoming "Ace" figure from Doctor Who. And the price was a "buy it now" number, not an ever rising bid.

Did I decline? H3ll no! The seller has already contacted me (and he has a 99% rating) and stated he'll ship it tomorrow.

In case you're curious, here's one of the better snapshots I've found on the 'net.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vWVxNe5Jbb...vampirella.jpg

Not really articulated except for the shoulders and (possibly) the neck, but then I wouldn't really want a whole bunch of rivet joints to mar her ample curves.

Ah, Vampi'. Your Warren Magazine format comic helped get me through the mid 70s when I was not old enough to purchase girlie mags.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 12:23 AM   #3381
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Oh, I remember those Clayburn Moore figures--he was the master of sexy female comic book figures (and did a nice job with a couple of male figures too). I think I got all of them "back in the day" except Purgatori--I hated how her hair was forever blown horizontally to one side.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PJekhLqyUHo/0.jpg
Old July 24 2013, 12:48 AM   #3382
Redfern
Commodore

Actually, one could use that same argument for the Vampi' figure. Yeah, I'd rather the hair drape as with the Julie Strain variant, but the were trying recreate the look of the Frazetta painting that adorned the premiere cover. But i didn't let that deter me.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:17 AM   #3383
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Redfern wrote: View Post
Actually, one could use that same argument for the Vampi' figure.
I thought it was done much, much better with the Vampi figures (so much so, that I got both the original and the black costume with cape variant).
Old July 24 2013, 03:58 AM   #3384
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
PAK has never really gone deep in any lines have they? Usually just 1 or 2 big characters. It's most likely that Kirk and Spock are it.
That'd still be more than any of the other toy companies gave us for the new film except for Kre-O. I'm still disappointed that the early rumors and stories of a 3.75" Hasbro line for Into Darkness didn't come to fruition, but in retrospect it's probably going to end up being a good thing - at least retail-wise.

We don't need to see Sulu, Scotty and Khan figures collecting dust on markdown shelves for the next few years because the company would have overshipped them, couldn't get the case ratios just right or didn't sculpt exciting-enough figures that would actually be interesting enough to sell.
Old July 24 2013, 04:28 AM   #3385
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^Or create a situation where parents aren't buying the figures because kids don't care about Star Trek, and the collectors aren't buying them because they're god awful. So, pretty much the situation we had with the '09 figures. I can still find them sitting around Toys R Us.
Old July 24 2013, 04:39 AM   #3386
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Me too. That 12" Captain Pike from the first film is practically fossilizing on my local Toys 'R' Us markdown shelf.

JUST BREAIKING: Not shown at Comic-Con, but here are two brand new Geonosis Battle Packs featuring some of the background Jedi and Clones of the main battle sequence near the end of Episode II.

Sarrissa Jeng is the teenage Padawan with the partially-shaven, monk-like head who yells enthusiastically when she slices up Battle Droids in the arena, while Roan Shryne is the bearded Jedi Knight who tosses lightsabers to Anakin and Obi-Wan so they can free themselves from their chains and binders.

Last edited by Ghouleddie74; July 24 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 01:38 AM   #3387
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

I was bored, so I decided to have one of my dolls "cosplay"- this is Ken/Captain Kirk as Hawkeye.

Based on this panel:

Last edited by T'Devilish; September 28 2014 at 01:25 AM.
Kira's Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 01:40 AM   #3388
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Haha! I recognized the panel the moment I saw your pics! That issue is one of my favorite in a very long time.
Old July 25 2013, 03:54 AM   #3389
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

New reports of both the 3.75" and larger 6" versions of the new Black Series are being posted on the collecting sites.

Target seems to be the retail chain getting them on the pegs and shelves before anybody else. You might wanna make a quick pit stop past your local Target(s) and check if you've been wanting any of these.
Old July 25 2013, 04:17 AM   #3390
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

Aw, come on, eddie, no witty comment on my naked Hawkeye?