Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 23 2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: How Long Until BBC America Co-Production Happens?

^ It was leaked that next year it all be in one shot.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ It was leaked that next year it all be in one shot.

Mr Awe
Yep, airing from end August/early September most likely - but what *hasn't* been confirmed is how many episodes there'll be in it. Will it be 13? The hell if I know.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I suppose not officially confirmed but it was in an email to its employees, and it broke the news about Smith leaving.
Old July 23 2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ I suppose not officially confirmed but it was in an email to its employees, and it broke the news about Smith leaving.
Yeah, it's just the number of episodes that I don't recall being mentioned

It says a full series between August and October, but depending on the dates, that could be a minimum of nine episodes, to a maximum of 13.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Maybe once that happens we'll be able to have 12 episodes and a Christmas special in the same calendar year again? Apparently the BBC alone can't do that anymore. : (
The split season thing was Moffat's call. It wouldn't matter if the show were a co-production or not, as long as Moffat's calling the shots the split seasons are staying.
If BBC America were putting up half (or even a significant amount) of the money, things like that may not be his call to make anymore.

That is one of the major benefits I see of a co-production. BBC has a lot more flexibility in when and how they air a show, without much regard for promotion or what they're scheduling against. BBCA has to actually compete, advertise, etc. The best option I see for BBCA would be to air it with a similar schedule to The Walking Dead: A half dozen episodes, a couple weeks off, the Christmas Special, a couple more weeks off, and then the rest of the episodes.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

With it being a new Doctor it might be better to run 13 episodes back to back, rather than split the season.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ That's what the email mentioned--letting viewers get familiar with the new Doctor. But, Lonemagpie is right, it didn't specify the number of episodes.
Old July 23 2013, 09:58 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say the more episodes the better.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 10:22 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Venardhi wrote: View Post
BBCA has to actually compete, advertise, etc. The best option I see for BBCA would be to air it with a similar schedule to The Walking Dead: A half dozen episodes, a couple weeks off, the Christmas Special, a couple more weeks off, and then the rest of the episodes.
BBC America would prefer a single run of 10 to 13 episodes. They don't like the split seasons because they stretch their marketing budget.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 10:30 PM   #25
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

This would be essentially one solid run, but with a month or so off for the winter holidays when viewership for weekly shows normally drops (which is why most shows go into reruns during this period). With only a couple weeks between any single new episode (because you have the Christmas Special in between) there is no need for a big campaign for the second half. I'm not sure if sweeps are still relevant, but it does also give them a presence during two sweeps periods this way.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 24 2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

This would be essentially one solid run, but with a month or so off for the winter holidays when viewership for weekly shows normally drops (which is why most shows go into reruns during this period). With only a couple weeks between any single new episode (because you have the Christmas Special in between) there is no need for a big campaign for the second half. I'm not sure if sweeps are still relevant, but it does also give them a presence during two sweeps periods this way.
If you start in Late September - early October, that's too far to make it to late February, without massive communication about when it's on. It would require 6 or 7 episodes, then a couple/few weeks break before Anniversary Special, then a month for the Christmas Special, and then another couple weeks until the final run. That's an awful lot of off and on for the average viewer to have to keep up with

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:15 AM   #27
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Why would you start in late September or early October? I'm talking about running 6 weeks from the end of October/beginning of November through early-mid December. One or two weeks off, Christmas, one or two weeks off, then another 6 weeks to take it through the end of February.
Old July 24 2013, 02:07 AM   #28
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Why would you start in late September or early October? I'm talking about running 6 weeks from the end of October/beginning of November through early-mid December. One or two weeks off, Christmas, one or two weeks off, then another 6 weeks to take it through the end of February.
I'm not starting it then, that's what the memo suggests the start date will be.

Old July 24 2013, 02:47 AM   #29
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

I wasn't talking about the memo at any point in this thread.
Old July 24 2013, 02:55 AM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I wasn't talking about the memo at any point in this thread.
That's what we have to work with, so, that was the reasonable assumption to make you wre talking about. You didn't indicate it, so, I didn't realize you were proposing your own schedule.