Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 23 2013, 07:05 PM   #91
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

"Popular" and "accessible" are not dirty words, and some of the best Trek has been made by people who weren't just aiming at the core fandom. (Hello, Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennett!)
Quoted for truth.
Old July 23 2013, 07:07 PM   #92
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't think making it accessible is an excuse for stupidity though, especially in a post-Inception blockbuster environment.
Old July 23 2013, 07:11 PM   #93
BillJ
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think making it accessible is an excuse for stupidity though, especially in a post-Inception blockbuster environment.
But lots of people didn't think Star Trek Into Darkness was stupid.
Old July 23 2013, 07:12 PM   #94
SeerSGB
Admiral

Please, show me one Star Trek movie that was the height of intellectual entertainment.

BillJ wrote: View Post
But lots of people didn't think Star Trek Into Darkness was stupid.
There's a message in STID about terrorism and the govt. creating wars in the name of peace, but that gets in the way of "Fuck Abrams!" so it's ignored for the most part.
Old July 23 2013, 07:12 PM   #95
Konata Izumi
Commander

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
And my god, can we get over the "I didn't make this movie for Star Trek fans, but for movie fans"....THANK GOD. That's what any director would have done, given the property. You have to make a movie for the general audience, not just a select fan base, especially in the case of Star Trek.
A general audience. There isn't just one, nearly all movies are made to a niche, especially big action movies, seeing how sloppy they are in anything but the action.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi, how dare you interrupt a pissing contest.
Don't worry I was just about to join it

They both make the audiences buy into incredible leaps in logic in order to enjoy the story.
Plot logic is such a tiny part of things you could notice in telling a story. I wish people would just recognize stuff, even if they didn't direct their attention to it.
Old July 23 2013, 07:13 PM   #96
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Of course, you DON'T make a Trek movie just for the hardcore fans. That's not disrespectful. It's just common sense.
But you should at least acknowledge they exist. Like in Nemesis when they find the pieces of a Data android, somebody could have mentioned Lore at least once without derailing the film, instead of everyone acting like they had been memory-wiped.
Old July 23 2013, 07:14 PM   #97
BillJ
Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Plot logic is such a tiny part of things you could notice in telling a story.
The plot pretty much drives everything.
Old July 23 2013, 07:15 PM   #98
BillJ
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post

But you should at least acknowledge they exist. Like in Nemesis when they find the pieces of a Data android, somebody could have mentioned Lore at least once without derailing the film, instead of everyone acting like they had been memory-wiped.
But mentioning Lore doesn't make Nemesis a better movie.
Old July 23 2013, 07:20 PM   #99
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Not mentioning him doesn't help either. It merely makes the characters look like they have amnesia for fear of confusing the people who were sitting in a TNG film but hadn't watched TNG.
Old July 23 2013, 07:23 PM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

Not mentioning him doesn't help either. It merely makes the characters look like they have amnesia for fear of confusing the people who were sitting in a TNG film but hadn't watched TNG.
I've probably watched TNG a dozen times through easily and when I saw Nemesis, I never once thought about Lore.

He simply had no relevance to the film. In my opinion.
Old July 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #101
Konata Izumi
Commander

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Plot logic is such a tiny part of things you could notice in telling a story.
The plot pretty much drives everything.
I though it was the directing.
Old July 23 2013, 07:32 PM   #102
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Of course, you DON'T make a Trek movie just for the hardcore fans. That's not disrespectful. It's just common sense.
But you should at least acknowledge they exist.
No. A thousand times no. Any artistic endeavour (popular or not) should be made to satisfy the creator, not the audience. The audience is not owed anything in terms of satisfaction. Not one tiny shred. The audience has the right to express its views after having experienced the work. It has NO right to satisfaction on its terms.

IF the creators choose to "acknowledge the fans", fine. As long as it is a creative choice and not an imposition. I'd rather something that ignores "the fans" and is well-made than something that caters to every fanwank idea the filmmakers can think of but is otherwise a load of crap.
Old July 23 2013, 07:59 PM   #103
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Now that I've had a chance to catch up...
Infern0 wrote: View Post
If the rumours on the IGN front page are true.

apparently Abrahms as thrown a hissy fit over Star Wars being shot in the UK, and wanted production moved to L.A so he could be near his family. WHAT!

Anyway they rightfully told him that wasn't happening and so now he might quit Star Wars and just stick with Trek.

Worst thing that can happen imo, he's perfect for Star Wars. He did good with Star Trek 09, Into Darkness was passable but for the next one I want someone who can write an intelligent story, something that makes you think.
All this, no link, and posted in the wrong forum besides? That's not suspect at all.

There's rumor debunked.

starburst wrote: View Post
I will believe it or not when you read he is on set filming or is replaced before that happens... Just like denials over David Moyes moving from Everton to Manchester United (Football Manager, big thing in my part of the world it would seem) or Abrams claiming he was sticking with Trek and not going over to Star Wars I wouldnt be so quick to believe press releases.

That said my money will be on him directing Episode VII and producing Star Trek 3.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Aw, man, we were this close to ditching Orci and Kurtzman...
I dont think they were going anywhere, Bad Robot are still producing Star Trek with or without Abrams in the directors chair. Plus if another rumour on IGN is to be believed there are new writers being brought in with Orci & Kurtzman still involved.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/2...tar-trek-movie

I really enjoyed First Class and Sarah Connor Chronicles so I hope they bring some of the same to the table.

All in all this is a good thing for those of us who liked the past 2 movies and want to see something in 2016, I feel for the people who cant stand it but all you can do is stay home and dont bother yourself with it, its not like CBS are interested in releasing a TV show which is what Abrams wanted in the first place.
There's IGN citing Devin Faraci/Badass Digest as their source? Mm-hmm. And citing them again, in the rumor referred to but never linked by the OP? Devin got noticed by a bunch of people for making shit up; he should be ecstatic by now.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Aw, man, we were this close to ditching Orci and Kurtzman...
There, there.

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
And this topic has been moved to Trek Movies XI+ down the hall.
Thanks, Peach. I owe you one.

In summary: Rumor. Rumor debunked. Lots of other stuff from a few people who really ought to know better by now.

I think I'm just going to leave this one closed.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Closed Thread